The Oxygenics Body Spa Handheld worked for a while and then the hose developed a leak - the chrome cover has in fact rolled off, exposing the plastic tubing.
The Oxygenics customer service people claim that that the unit is only warranteed on the clogging! So much for their lifetime warranty!.
The unit stopped working after about 6 months of normal use. Would strongly discourage from buying this defective product.
The showerhead is probably a better choice as it has fewer moving parts and is installed in many of the larger hotels (MGM Grand in Las Vegas for instance).
The good points:
- when it works, the pressure of the water is really good
- does leave you feeling energized
- looks sleek and 'luxurious' with no visible plastic stuff
The bad points:
- defective handheld units - hold on to your receipts!
- bad customer service and warranty
- poorly designed plastic tubing inside the unit - prone to failure and leaks
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2007
I got this showerhead because my boyfriend complained about lack of water pressure and I had seen it reviewed in a catalog that features higher end products.

I found the reviews here helpful but wanted to add a little information to the mix.

It really does increase the water pressure. Particularly at the top of the spray. This is great for shampoo rinsing. The spray fans out significantly and I find that I have to use the hand-held feature to adequately rinse soap from the lower half of my body. This is not a problem if you opt for the model with a hose. The design of the showerhead makes it very comfortable to hold.

Shower times also seem to be reduced since we began using it.

When I turned the shower off after the first use, I noticed that I really was running less than 1/2 the water volume as compared with my old showerhead. I was actually surprised at the reduction in water use.

For some reason, unkonwn to me, it seems to have a lag time when I adjust the water temperature during the shower. I didn't think a 60 inch hose could account for that much lag. But, maybe it does.

The only significant down side I found is the noise level. I know that sounds odd but, all the air mixing apparently makes noise. In this respect, it does remind me of a hotel showerhead. They always seem loud to me.

Since the spray pattern fans out so much, it wets down most of the shower surfaces. This makes spraying the shower with mildew/cleaner more effective. More water on the surfaces to distribute the cleaner. So, that automatic sprayer gadget I bought is really wonderful now.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering this purchase. It's not perfect but definitely solves water pressure issues and is easy to install and use. I would definitely purchase it again.
on April 1, 2006
I was looking for a replacement for my old "Shower Massage" that would consume less water. The old model sucked up 7.5 gallons per minute. This one uses a maximum of 2.5 gpm. For standard, non-hose variety shower heads, I found lots of alternatives. This one was one of the few that has a hose extension, which I prefer to help me clean the shower stall.

Teflon tape was included in the package, which made installation much easier--I didn't have to go out and buy a pack of that. Put it together without any trouble, though I do confess to reading the directions. What was not included was a full description of the flow regulator, which can turn the water completely off while you lather up, should you so desire. When I first turned on the water to check my installation, the flow regulator was in the "off" position of the twist. This was a little alarming. Was forced to use grey cells to figure out what the problem was.

Now, having used this product, I would recommend it to anyone and fully intend to purchase it for my parents and sister. Absolutely a GREAT shower.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2007
I have thick hair, and low water pressure, put those 2 things together and its a recipe for nothing but bad hair days. I've bought so many shower sprays with the hope that they would get the shampoo out of my hair, and of course none did what they said it would. They all promise to give a high pressure shower, but there I stood trying to remove the soap from my hair. I saw this on Amazon and thought I what the heck, it can't be any worse than the others that now sit in my drawer of mistakes. I had my husband install it (An easy install) and was wowed, totally wowed! The pressure that came out of the head was unbelievable, I washed my hair and within seconds, the soap was out of my hair, for the first time in years my hair actually felt and was clean. The only suggestion I would have sent to Oxygenics is to put a shut off valve on the unit. There is a flow restricter to slow down the water to a trickle, but a shut off would have made this great product perfect.
on August 25, 2006
Our home's water pressure is not the greatest but with this new showerhead and it's aeration technology you'd never know it. The shower even on highest setting is not too harsh. It's like a hard wind driven rain but not so harsh as to be painful or irratating. My spouse said this is the best gadget I ever bought. We first encountered this type of showerhead in Cape May at our hotel. I just had to have it! I found Oxygenics quickly on Amazon and within day we were up an showering. It's high quality, easy to install and priced right.
on February 24, 2008
Recently, I needed a new showerhead. After some research (and considering the experience of numerous Showerheads purchased in the past), I bought this one, even though it looks like something out of the movie Alien. I read the company website and think the whole "Oxygen" thing is complete marketing-speak, but could see how adding air to the process could result in a more forceful shower, perhaps overcoming some low water pressure issues. When I talked about it to my wife, she likened it to a showerhead that "spits" at you. I don't imagine she'll ever work in their marketing department. :)

Anyhow, I pulled the trigger earlier this week and it arrived on Saturday. It came in a surprisingly small box. Further, I was very suprised to see the high quality of this particular unit, especially since some of the reviewers indicated that it looked like it was made of cheap plastic. Apparently, those reviewers were not reviewing the same model I ordered. The hose is completely made of metal (at least, the part you can see) and the handheld portion of the unit looks to be of very high quality. Both ends of the hose had plastic coverings on the outside of the fittings to protect them during shipping. It even included a small amount of teflon tape and very clear instructions for installation. Installation was about the easiest plumbing job I've done in a while.

The force of the shower was significantly improved. At the base of the handheld portion is an adjustment they call the "Comfort Control". Simply rotating it changes the feeling of the shower. After feeling it at the initial setting, I actually turned it down so it wasn't as forceful. Some reviewers said that it produced so much air that they had problems with their shower curtains not staying down. Hogwash, I say! I believe one reviewer even said it was loud. Again, hogwash!

So far, I'm very impressed with this unit. It seems to have the advantage of higher pressure with none of the disadvantages that other reviewers seemed to see. The brushed nickel finish looks very nice too.
on March 9, 2006
This shower head provides a full even spray with a lot of power. I like a shower that is able to provide a lot of pressure. Without this shower head, my shower was more like a sprinkle. Now I can say I am taking a shower.
on January 20, 2008
I bought this because I wanted to save water but still maintain good water pressure. Looks fairly decent, although for $50 I expected more than just a piece of plastic. It was easy to install. My complaint is that because of the oxygen added to the water, unless I am 2 inches away from the head, I get a cold blast of air. It makes the shower experience quite uncomfortable. Which means I have to turn on more hot water. So I might be saving water but I am also taking hotter showers. The only way I can take showers now is by using the handheld and that is inconvenient. I am sending it back. Also the hose is too short.
on November 15, 2007
I am a victim of very poor water pressure on the second floor of my town home. When I say poor water pressure I mean the showers on my second floor are merely a trickle.

However I bought one of these for my master bath and all I can say is WOW! It is incredible - This thing rocks! There is no other product like it. I've been through more then five different shower heads including one that cost nearly three times the price of this one.

It's a bit loud in comparison to all of the others I had but I can live with that now because I have a REAL shower with better then awesome water pressure. Enough pressure to actually massage as it cleans. The incorporation of the oxygen (actually just air) is what really gives this thing its magical power.

The noise is well worth dealing with since the quality of the flow is unbelievable. The noise is a bit louder then a regular showerhead but very, very tolerable.

As for the installation... simple says it all. They include everything you need except a pipe-wrench. Even the sealing tape is included. The instructions are on one page with simple illustrations. It took less then 5 minutes to install.

This is a very well finished product. It's fit and finish rival that of the finest hotels. The hose is solid metal and incredibly fluid and flexible. Some hoses for shower heads are stiff, some too short, some have a plastic coating on the outside that tears and looks terrible after time. This one is just plain perfect.

I cannot say enough about this product. I just wish I would have purchased one years ago. But then again, they only had the fixed showerhead version for so long. I was very glad to see they finally had this version with the hose.

I used the fixed head version as well at a relatives home and this is why I purchased this one. This one actually works better then the fixed head version but both are absolutely incredible.

Buy it. You will not be sorry. You will be amazed.

I am ordering two more and would pay twice the price for these if they cost that much.

Just incredible.
on April 19, 2007
Hi. I'm pretty critical of products and I think this one is good. It is a little bit plasticy and a tad on the cheapish side but works well, which is a lot more than you can say for most of these kinds of products.

I give it 4/5 stars only because the hose is on the short side (I'm not saying it's not 60" - just that 60" is shorter than it seems in this setup when u actually use it).

See 1 answered question