5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Purchase
Published on January 11, 2010 by Stephanie

This is a review of the Oyama Rice Cooker on this page compared to the Rice Cooker from Miracle Exclusives sold on Amazon here: (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cooker-Model-Formerly/dp/B000PC3G7M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295728497&sr=8-5) which I have also owned.

Published on January 22, 2011 by clarita apple

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Purchase, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
I love rice and just wanted a reliable, quality appliance to make it for me while I worked or did other things. So after sifting through hundreds of non-stick crappy cookers, leaking and exploding cookers, and the countless bad reviews, I finally came across the Oyama stainless rice cooker. I ended up purchasing it on Bonton.com because it was on sale for $49, but their customer service is absolutely wretched, and I would go back and spend the extra $20 here at Amazon for quicker shipping and better service (not to mention, Amazon won't triple-bill you for one order and take over a week to put the money back in your account).

PROS:
* Easy to clean. Ridiculously easy to clean. I tend to get eczema on my hands when I wash them frequently, so I appreciate that I don't have to use a bunch of soap and scrub the pot to get it clean.
* Cooks white rice, brown rice, short grain, long grain, blah blah...I've used many types in the cooker and they never burn. I add about 1/2 cup more water than the instructions say because I like my rice more moist and sticky.
* Keeps the rice warm and moist for a long time after it's done cooking. I tested this for a 24 period and their little booklet was right...the rice was fine.
* I love the stainless steamer insert tray. When the rice is done, I put frozen organic veggies in the steamer tray, close the lid, and come back in 5-10 minutes and everything's ready to eat.
* No spills or leaks or crappy, cheap parts.
* Fits on the counter really well.
* I really love that everything is stainless inside, because I know nothing is going to leach into my food.

CONS:
* I can't think of any, actually. I'm really happy with this unit and I hope it lasts a long time!

I hope you find this review helpful.

Best,
Stephanie

{EpicBeautyGuide.com}

2.0 out of 5 stars This Oyama Rice Cooker vs the Rice Cooker from Miracle Exclusives, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker

Both have stainless steel bowls, not coated with any non-stick garbage, which is important to me. The Oyama has a removable stainless steel insert lid, the Miracle has a glass lid. The Oyama's stainless steel bowl and steamer are thicker and of better quality than the Miracle's.

First off, I've owned the Miracle cooker for a couple of years. My biggest complaint about it is that it burns the lower couple of layers of rice. Since I live alone, I cook only small amounts for myself, and there is a lot of wastage.

The Oyama interested me because the reviews say the bottom of the pot burnage is minimal. I'm also attracted to the feature of being able to leave rice in the steamer for up to 24 hours and have it stay ready to serve.

However, there were problems with the Oyama and I'm sending it back. Here's why:

Cooking ability
Both the Miracle and the Oyama do a good job of cooking rice. There is less burned rice at the bottom of the pot with the Oyama, just a small amount. I always have ˝" - 1" of burned matter at the bottom of the pot with the Miracle.

However, despite washing the Oyama's bowl, steamer, and stainless steel lid insert thoroughly before first use, there was a noticable strange odor when the unit was on and the food smelled and tasted of it. I do not know what that was. I wonder if it has to do with a rubber knob that attaches the lid to the unit, and which is exposed interior of the cooking area. You can see this in one of the photos I posted, a closeup of the lid. There's also a thick rubber seal which may have some contact with the steam. None of the other reviewers mentions the odor, so perhaps I had a defective unit.

Design / Ease of Use

The Miracle wins, hands down. The Miracle design is fantastically simple - the cooking bowl fits into the base, the steamer fits into the cooking bowl, and the lid sits on top. The bowl, steamer and lid all lift off the base in one unit to be placed on the table.

The cooking bowl has a wide rim, making it easy to grasp it with silicone pot holders and lift all the cooked food - rice and vegetables and lid - out of the base onto a trivet to serve. The lid stays on so the food stays warm. The steamer basket has stay-cool handles so you can remove it easily without a potholder. The glass lid just lifts off. No muss, no fuss.

In contrast, the Oyama design is a little more complicated.

The rice bowl, steamer and stainless steel lid insert are locked into the unit during cooking. This may be necessary to create a cooker that will keep the rice ready to serve for up to 24 hours. However, there are consequences to this design:

1) When done, you open the unit and the lid insert is attached to the unit's lid, so your hot food is immediately exposed to the air and cools and you are presented with a lot of steam.

2) The main bowl does not have that wide rim. It extends just enough above the base to be graspable with really thin potholders, not silicone potholders. So to remove the food you have to grasp that bowl while it is piping hot. Your experience may vary, but my towel and potholders got wet. Messy.

3) Once you open the unit, there's a lot of drippage from the steam that has condensed onto the lid insert. Most of this runs into a condensation collector on the back of the machine (see photo). But when I used the Oyama, some of it also dripped down the front of the lid and into the cooking element inside the base, which the user guide says not to get wet. I `solved' this by wiping the lid with a kitchen towel immediately upon opening the unit; and once the food was removed, placing a second towel over the base, protecting it. This means soiling two towels every time you use the Oyama.

4) Once the lid is handled and the base unit protected from the dripping condensation, you can turn your attention back to the food. You have your rice bowl and steamer insert, uncovered and cooling, because there's no lid. Remember, the stainless steel lid is attached to the lid of the base unit.

5) The vegetable steamer is completely recessed within the rice cooking bowl, which looks nice and neat until you have to pry the basket out with a fork and grasp it with a towel while it's steaming hot and wet.

Cleaning

Both the Oyama and Miracle are easy to clean. Whatever rice adheres to the bottom of the pot is easily removed after brief soaking.

The Oyama also has a removeable plastic condensation collector that snaps on back of the hinge, which must be removed and cleaned after each use. That's not a biggie, but it's the kind of part that is easy to lose.

I've posted photos of the Oyama to help illustrate all of the issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
I purchased this rice cooker back in February 2010, so I have been using it for a good 8 months. I searched high and low for an ALL stainless steel rice cooker. Originally, I was hoping for one with fuzzy-logic. Why? I don't know. Marketing propaganda, I guess, because I LOVE this rice cooker and do not need anything more technical.

I use this rice cooker at least once a week. I am cooking both long-grain/basamati/jasmine brown rice and quinoa on a regular basis, but I have also steamed veggies in it a few times too with success. It is just my husband and I, but I make two cups dry of whatever grain, so that we have leftovers. It usually cooks while I am preparing everything else.

Even though it does not have a non-stick coating (which I did not want for health reasons, but thought I would miss) clean up is a breeze. Simply put some water in and let it soak during your meal or soak overnight after your meal if you prefer. I have a little stiff rubber scraper (Pampered Chef maybe?) and anything there just comes right off. I used to have a tiny aluminum rice cooker and I would have to put a little olive oil in the bottom so the rice wouldn't burn and it would still stick, crust a lot and be a pain to clean. I have not had any issues with this maker and burned on rice/grains.

My only complaint (very tiny, that's why it still has five stars) is you do need to unplug the unit when not in use or after your are done eating as it will be in warm mode if plugged in (even if the pot is not inserted). I have only forgotten once, so not a big deal for me, but the quinoa was still good and warm the next morning.

My one suggestion for improvement beyond wishing I could leave it plugged in, would be the addition of a timer. However, if you are after a completely stainless steel rice cooker, this is the one! Very happy with it considering the limited choices on the market and the decent price and features of this model.

*********** Update 1/2/12 ************
I have been using this product almost weekly since first posting my review in 2010. Sometimes more than once a week and it is still going strong. I still love it and it is still a breeze to clean. I completely recommend this rice cooker to anyone looking for a stainless steel version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, August 22, 2010
Jennifer Ryan (Russiaville, In United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
I searched on and off for several days before I could find this rice maker - one with a stainless steel cooking surface. The 7 cup maker is a bit larger than I require, but not a problem. Since its arrival I've made sushi several times (nishiki rice), brown rice, calrose rice and jasmine rice (in coconut milk instead of water.)

I'm very pleased. It cleans easily and I LOVE the fact that the power cord detaches. After everything's cooled and washed, I stow the cord inside the cooker.

I'm not sorry I purchased this more expensive machine - as $15 unit at the local store would not have been stainless steel. However, I did not buy this machine through amazon. (Without free shipping, theres no reason to, esp. if you dont know the 3rd party vendor). I searched the net and found it on QVC. For less shipping than the amazon vendor asks, I received it FedEX in a few days.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hot rice cooker, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
I purchased this item for it's non teflon cooking bowl. It cooks rice too fast and starts to burn before the rice has had the chance to absorb enough water. Then warm feature just drys it out to the point where you can't even eat it. Very disappointed in the performance. Do NOT recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, June 6, 2010
S. Marchman (Fayetteville, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
I looked long and hard for an all-stainless rice cooker. They're hard to find. I found this one on Amazon and bought it. I love it! It makes really delicious rice and keeps it warm for as long as I need it, which is ususlly many hours. After I have eaten what I want that day, I just put the leftovers in the fridge. The next day, I take it out of the fridge, put it in the cooker, put it on warm, and it's ready again for as long as I want. I especially love that all the cooking parts are stainless. All of them. There is no aluminum or non-stick coating anywhere that touches the food. I find it easy to clean just by a quick rinse before putting it in the dishwasher. I expect many years of service from it. A great buy in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oyama Rice Cooker Excellent Purchase!, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
After several days of research I chose the Oyama CFS-B12U all stainless steel cooking surface rice cooker. I was very attracted to the fancier models of the other brands but there were only 2 rice cookers on the market that I could find @ Amazon that had stainless steel cook bowls. After reading numerous reviews I chose this one.I must say that I would have purchased a fancier model if any of them had been available with stainless steel bowls.

I cooked 2 cups of brown basmati rice in my Oyama last night and I really love this rice cooker!!! It is simple. I measured 2 rice cups (the rice cup that comes with the appliance is a 3/4 cup measurement)into the stainless steel bowl washed the rice with tap water,drained the water off, added 2 2/3 rice cups of water, salt, & a packet of salt free chicken bouillon. I set a timer so I would learn how long it would take and when I returned to the kitchen at 51 minutes the 'warm' light was on. The rice was perfectly separated from each other. I will add a little more water next time to brown rice as the rice was a tiny bit hard but very edible. There was a very small amount of brown coating at the bottom of the pan at 51 minutes when I discovered the rice was done but no sticking and I just stirred it into the rice. I would not leave my rice on warm for long periods. I plan to cook rice before a meal and unplug the unit & let it sit covered to stay hot for that meal. My cooking style is to cook enough to have leftovers so I do not have to cook so often.

There was no bad smell from the unit while cooking as I had read in another review. My husband commented how good it smelled while cooking.Clean up was easy. I wiped the moisture off the rim of the appliance with paper towels. There was some dried material on the sides of the stainless steel pan. I soaked it in soapy water for about 30 minutes and washed the pan with a 'Dobie' pad and the residue came off easily.The stainless steel lid just pulls right off the top for cleaning and I wiped down around the lid with paper towels also.

In essence, I am happy with this purchase and saved a LOT of $$ by buying this model and it suits my needs.

Also, I would like to thank all of you who write detailed reviews on the products you purchase. Your reviews help me make decisions that I am happy with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Would buy it again..., April 19, 2011
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
We've owned this unit for several months now and so far, its lived up to the reviews written here. Its simple, does not come with all the fancy bells and whistles and multiple options that higher priced rice cookers do but there is something to be said about simplicity. I mean, washing machines come with all sorts of fancy options but I never use those either...do you really need it? I will buy this rice cooker again in the future...

-- The rice doesn't turn hard or brown after its been sitting in the "warm" mode for long periods of time.

-- I haven't actually timed the hours which it stays warm but haven't had any problems with the unit otherwise.

-- My brother cooks brown rice in it and it comes out perfect.

-- We cook regular steamed rice in it and it comes out perfect.

-- Cleaning is not a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, PERFECT RICE!!!, June 21, 2010
SC Queenbee (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
For years I used a pot on an electric stove with mediocre results. Found a cheap little 3 cup rice cooker on sale for $10 bucks and thought life would be easier...until I used it. The rice was always gummy on top and hard in the bottom of the pan. I figured that was how a rice cooker did it, so I put up with the soaking to clean it and the poor quality of the rice. I got an Amazon gift card and decided to see if all rice cookers were created equal. When I saw this ALL STAINLESS cooker and read the reviews I was convinced. Cooking in aluminum is not healthy anyway. MY FIRST POT OF RICE WAS THE MOST PERFECT RICE I HAVE EVER COOKED IN MY LIFE!!! I also left the warmer on for 5 hours until my son got home to see if the claim about the rice not drying out was really true...IT'S TRUE, NOT DRY AND JUST AS TENDER AS IT WAS AT DINNER!!! I should have coughed up the $$ years ago instead of always apologizing for the rice. THIS IS A TERRIFIC PRODUCT-YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker
i was anticipating a great little stainless steel rice cooker. My kid lives in Taiwan and was coming for a visit. She knows how to make good rice. We followed the instructions for making great rice but the rice was uncooked. We attempted making rice several different times with different amounts of rice and water. The rice was never fully cooked. We even added way too much water, which of course caused the thing to leak all over and still the rice was not done. Even using small amounts, the steam vent spit water all over the counter. Buyer beware.

Oyama CFS-B12U All Stainless Rice Cooker