2,256 Reviews
 (1,736)

5.0 out of 5 stars EATSMART VS. OZERI SCALES--WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IS. . .
Published on December 19, 2011 by Jackrbike

1.0 out of 5 stars worked well for 30 days, then died
Published on April 29, 2010 by Cat I am

5.0 out of 5 stars EATSMART VS. OZERI SCALES--WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IS. . ., December 19, 2011
Jackrbike (Clifton Park, NY) - See all my reviews
1. The EatSmart Precision Pro Digital at $25 (12/11) and the Ozeri Pro Digital at under $20 scales are IDENTICAL. I have both, having had the Eatsmart for at least three years, and the Ozari I bought as a gift and tested it. One is black with a chrome-finish platform. The other is silver with a chrome-finish platform. The black body looks as if it is black plastic throughout; the silver body finish might possibly have been painted or otherwise applied (It's description says Elegant Chrome, but just the platform and buttons have a chromed finish.) Personally, I prefer the black, available in both brands.

2. The readout is large; you don't need glasses. It is not backlit and is a problem only in a dimly lit room--solved by turning a light on.

3. The clear plastic covering the LED readouts is recessed slightly from the body of the scales. Flour, spices, and liquids could get on the clear cover and in the corners, creating an annoyance and the necessity of occasionally cleaning the recessed edges. The solution I found was to put a strip of clear packing tape over the whole lens area, flush with the scale body and not pushing the tape down onto the clear plastic. Cleaning is now a simple wipe.

3. The auto-turn-off period after registering a weight or momentarily tapping the weighing platform was within seconds of the three minutes specified, and differed between scales only slightly. This lag between registering a weight and auto turnoff is extremely important; do not buy any scale that does not have such a lag or does not specify a similar or longer lag time!

4. For light weights and for a five pound weight they each gave the same accurate results. A nickel (US) is 5 grams even, and can be used as a test of your sample's accuracy, Use one, then use ten, for 5 and 50 grams, and more if you wish. Regardless of WHERE on the platform I placed a stack of ten nickels, the weight registered the same for both scales.

5. Contrary to one popular review of the Ozeri: a) The scale in fact turns off very easily: CLICK THE TARE BUTTON ONCE TO GET THE SCALE TO READ ZERO, THEN CLICK IT AGAIN TO TURN IT OFF! I confess it took me a month or so of using the scale before that pattern occurred to me. b) Treat the scale reasonably and it will last a long time. My Eatsmart version is still going strong.

6. The 5 1/8" diameter platform is sufficient for most uses, but when using a dinner plate to expand the platform size (taring out the plate's weight) I have to lower my head somewhat to "get at" the reading, because the edge of the plate hides the readout, preventing a reading from directly overhead. A larger diameter platform scale at times would be nice, but such would present a problem for convenient cabinet storage. Using a bowl instead of a dinner plate makes the readout easier for large volumes or weights.

7. The scales measure grams in one gram units, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. It measures ounces in units of .05 ounce (1/20 oz.), i.e. .05, 1.0, .15, .20 etc. Pounds are measured in units of .002 pounds. This is as much precision as you could possibly need in a kitchen.

8. The scales work fine with rechargeable batteries. Battery life is reasonable, regardless of the type of AAA battery you use.

9. Both scales came with a book of calorie equivalents.

10. I appreciate the large buttons and the reassuring audible click when they are depressed. Small point, perhaps, but that's how I feel about them.

11. Just the platform and buttons have a chromed finish on plastic. The "chrome" is not hard metal, though the pictures might lead one to think it is.

Things I've learned that you may find useful, though not relevant to any particular scale:
Using a scale guarantees me a consistent cup of coffee. Measuring coffee by volume can be deceptive, depending on the type of grind and type of roast. If kids argue over who is getting the bigger portions of a particular dish, give 'em the scale and let THEM adjust the quantities for "fairness"!* I've found that standardizing on a cup of flour of 4.8 oz works best with most recipes. If you measure by the level cup, you'll find that a "cup" can equal from 4.3 to as much as 5.4 ounces. 2 grams of loose tea equates with most teabags and the cruder measure of one teaspoon, commonly suggested for one to two cups of tea.

*OR, let the complaining child divvy up the food in equal portions, but the non-complainers get to pick before the complainer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Return, December 24, 2010
Last July I purchased an Ozeri ZK12 from Amazon. During the first week of December the unit failed and would not function at all. Up until this point it worked perfectly. I contacted Ozeri customer service and received a response within a day or two. They said they would replace the unit with a new unit at no charge. All I had to do was provide them with my Amazon order number, which I did. A new unit arrived about 2 weeks later and is working as intended. I am very pleased with the unit and the quick, hassel-free response from the vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Kitchen Scale, June 1, 2010
All I needed was an inexpensive kitchen scale that wasnt complicated to use. Once you get old, it seems that the most mundane things have gotten increasingly more complicated to use. This scale fit the bill and it did not dissapoint. Its a very simple scale that does what it does best. Its very accurate and consisten for its size and tare function isnt difficult to use. If all you're looking for is a nice simple scale to use, this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Scale - But kind of cheap, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Ozeri Pro Digital Kitchen Food Scale, 1g to 12 lbs Capacity, Elegant Chrome (Kitchen)
This is a great kitchen scale. I have to weigh a lot of meat for homemade sausage. I've never had a scale that would weigh more than about three pounds of kitchen ingredients, so I'm really happy with this scale. I've weighed over ten pounds of meat (plus about a pound of tare for the bowl). That's probably the most I can fit in a steel kitchen bowl without the bowl getting wobbly and tippy. The scale is actually sensitive enough that the numbers start to fluctuate as the bowl gets unbalanced.

____________________________
I LOVE:

* I bought this on sale ($12), so I love the price.

* I love the simple means of zeroing out the tare. You can either put your bowl on the scale before you turn it on and it will subtract the weight of the bowl to start at zero pounds, or you can turn it on, place the bowl on the scale, and press the on/off/tare button to zero it out.

* It's simple to cycle through the units of measure: gram, kilo, ounce, or pound. Very cool!

* I don't know if it does this for every unit of measure, but when weighing pounds, the readout is precise to three (or maybe four--I forget) decimal places. That's almost too much information, but it shows me when the tare is off and shows me when the bowl is unbalanced and rocking.

____________________________
I DON'T LOVE:

* The picture makes it look like the base is brushed metal. It's not. It's very flimsy plastic. I doubt it will last more than a few years.

* It's hard to turn it off. I guess you're supposed to just leave it on and let it turn itself off. This leads to my next gripe.

* If it automatically times out and shuts itself off, you have to dump out all of your ingredients and start over. This happened twice while I was trimming meat. I dropped the finished meat in the bowl as I trimmed it. But if I waited too long it would timeout and turn itself off. If I turned it back on, it would assume that the whole bowl of meat was tare and zero out. So I had to dump out all the meat and reset the tare. After this happened twice, I just bounced the bowl occasionally if I hadn't dropped anything in recently.

I know a kitchen scale isn't much to get excited about, but I really like this one. I'm just sad that I know it won't last very long.

EDIT (May 2014): This scale is still going strong after nearly four years. My initial judgement that this scale wouldn't last was obviously hasty. This thing is a champ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scale!, July 8, 2010
This is definitely a great scale! Measures in grams, kg, ounces, and pounds. Very accurate and easy to use. If you use your own bowl/plate to measure food out, all you have to do is set it on there, press the on/off button once and it sets it back to zero. I use it to weigh my food with the HCG diet and it works perfect! Would definitely recommend!

Jackrbike (Clifton Park, NY) - See all my reviews

9. Both scales came with a book of calorie equivalents.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked well for 30 days, then died, April 29, 2010
I liked this scale as first because it was accurate, allowed me to switch between units (which was important to me, since I often use recipes with metric units) and had a functional design. However, exactly three days after the return window for this item expired the scale "died". The on/off button started failing first, the units button followed, then it was only giving me gibberish. Too bad, I liked this scale and I am still sorry that I spent $25 on this piece of junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not change unit type - not worth the money, April 26, 2012
Larry L (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:38 Mins

This video demonstrates my scale and its inability to change unit of measurement from lbs to anything else. I assume this is a defect. You can clearly see the LCD titles for the other weights are there on the right. I had high hopes for this scale, sadly I am returning it and buying something else. Don't waste your money or your time on this junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, January 20, 2010
After looking around for different kitchen scales I thought I'd go with this one since it looked the same as other brands ( but not as expensive#. I've been using this scale almost daily for a few days now and there isnt anything negative to say about it, but here are the pros:

1 - Its super easy to clean becuase of its chrome coating # you can easily wipe most things off with a rag )
2 - Its consistent- a nickle weighs exactly 5 grams and this scale gets in on the dot every time.
3 - Its a bargain compared to other scales around this caliber
4 - And its easy to use. Even the tare function.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it worked, December 20, 2010
SKYE "WISkye" (Northeast Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This scale was a replacement for our broken Escali Primo scale which died after 6 months. While we waited for a replacement, we purchased this very similar Ozeri scale. We don't abuse our scales, but we do use them. We weigh most of our food, so it gets used several times a day. The failure of this scale is that the tare button stopped working. Up until it broke, we were well satisfied. I am wondering if this scale and the Escali (along with some other brands on the Amazon site which look so similar) are made by the same company and then branded by different companies? Each of our scales--Escali and Ozeri lasted about 6 months at the level of use in our home.