4.0 out of 5 stars It really works

1.0 out of 5 stars Long-term test: Rodents get used to it
Published on July 26, 2009 by Mike Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars It really works, January 26, 2009
Sassy (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: P3 International P7816 Attack Wave Ultrasonic Pestrepeller (Lawn & Patio)
It took the attack wave pestrepeller about 5 weeks to clear out the pest (rodents)in my home. I live in an area that is surrounded trees and nature, so I had a problem with mice coming in when it gets cold. I bought 2 of the repellers, one for upstairs, and one for the downstairs area. I could hear the rodents at night and see them in the kitchen after everyone settled down for the night. This was quite disturbing for me, especially after purchasing this product, but I read that it could take up to six weeks for the pest repeller to work. The 4th week the mice sounded as if they were trying to eat the house up. You could hear them clawing like they were trying to find a way out. The next week no noise, or any evidence of any mice or any insects in my home. This product is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultrasonic pest repellers work, October 2, 2007
These ultrasonic repellers do work. We use them inside our home, in the basement, and in the garage. They not only keep the rodents away, they keep spiders and other insects away as well.
Please, one warning; Do Not buy from Unbeatable Sales Inc. We had a very bad experience with them, and it would be worth your while to purchase the product from another company.

5.0 out of 5 stars SKIP This product if you have PETS, September 16, 2010
S. Gooder (Davis, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased 3 of these items. One was for our upper level, one was for our lower level and one was for our barn. I plugged in one unit upstairs and my dogs ran out of the room and were clawing at the door to get outside. This was VERY unusual behavior for them. I took them outside and they appeared to be fine during our walk. Then I opened the door to our home and neither dog would enter. I had to drag them inside. I immediately unplugged the unit and after about 15 minutes they settled down.

Later this evening, I took the unit to our lower level and plugged it in. We went downstairs and our pets once again freaked out. I unplugged it. They settled down. I plugged it in again, they both jumped off their beds and ran upstairs and tried to get out the door. ENOUGH! Don't know how effective it is against mice ... but it sure works on Dogs (Dalmatian and Chow/Golden Lab Mix) Needless to say, I am returning 2 of my 3 units. I will use the remaining unit in our storage barn where our pets do not go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly effective - time will tell, February 24, 2010
MY TAKE

The makers of the Attack Wave are making many claims concerning its effectiveness - it's supposed to annoy mince, rats, cockroaches, fleas, crickets, ants to the point of them leaving your house, never to return. This may or may not be true but, since I haven't seen any study claiming that both rats and ants can't stand 30,000-65,000 Hz ultrasounds, I can only share my own experience with the device and this is what I can report:

After placing the unit in my basement, sitting on a table from which there was 'line of sight' and, I assume, 'sound' to every corner, I did not notice mouse activity. We have, or maybe it's fair to say that 'we had' a few field mice coming to our basement in the winter and I could occasionally find droppings and some allowed themselves to get trapped - ahh... the smell of peanut butter... After about one month of Attack Wave in the basement there are no more mouse signs. Coincidence? I don't know but I'm writing this review in February and it's still cold outside so, if the mice left, I doubt they did it because they preferred the outdoors life.

SPECS AND OPERATION

As the Amazon picture shows, the Wave is a little white contraption with 2 speakers, powered through a DC adapter. It starts working - making an ultrasonic racket, that is - as soon as it's plugged in. The makers claim that constantly changing the pitch and intensity of the ultrasound is what makes their device so special, because the pests can never get used to it and, after a while, they just can't take it and flee. You can't hear the ultrasound, of course, but the Wave comes with a little red button which, when pushed, has the Wave produce a high pitch whistling sound that's supposed to be an approximation of what the ants would hear when near it, that is IF the ants can actually hear.

The instructions page that comes with the product is very carefully to state that the Wave is effective in an area of 4,000-5,000 ft. of UNOBSTRUCTED space so placement is important and be aware of blind spots. In addition, placing the Wave on a carpet or on any other soft base is likely to reduce its effectiveness as the sound will be muffled.

More specs:

- 260 degrees - Effective angle (blind spots, remember?)
- 1.5 W power consumption - should tell you something about how loud that speaker really is (not so loud)
- 30-65 KHz frequency
- 110 dB sound pressure
- 4,000-5,000 sq. ft. effective range (no obstructions, not on carpets)

You are not supposed to use this near gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs or other rodent pets and you are not supposed to keep it near your ear when you press the red test button.

MY RATING

Since I haven't notice mice activity in my basement ever since I turned the Wave on, it's possible that it's making a difference. Time will tell and, if see mice again, I will update my review to state so. Until then, I'm awarding the Wave 4 stars for it POSSIBLY being an effective mice repellent but... scaring ants away? I don't buy that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attack Wave Pestrepeller, June 16, 2009
Alan (Monterey Park, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Usually, I would write a product review within a few days of receiving my item. But for the Attack Wave Pestrepeller, I thought I'd better give it an observation period before writing this review. A month ago, I went inside my garage and discovered that it was invaded by rats. My things have been damaged from the gnawing. The area was covered by rat droppings. Therefore, I searched the internet for a solution that would drive the rats away without having to see dead or alive critters. It has been 3 weeks since I have placed this ultrasonic device to use. I have not seen a rat dropping or gnawed item since. I wish I could tell the readers that this device worked alone. But the truth is, I purchased the Attack Wave Pestrepeller and the 100% peppermint oil at the same time. They were both put to use. So, it was probably the combination of irritating their sense of hearing and their sense of smell that drove them away. Hope this helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, June 2, 2007
I never imagined this thing would work. I had used all traps and mice were still mowing down plants on our deck. My wife is very happy now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long-term test: Rodents get used to it, July 26, 2009
Mike Hall (Silicon Valley) - See all my reviews
From my experience, if you are looking for a long-term solution for squirrels and rats, don't waste your money. This product is designed for indoor use, not outdoor, but last May I placed several around the outside of the house front and back just under the eves to keep them out of the weather. Helps that I live in an area that has only two seasons - dry and wet - so will take them in during the wet season this winter.

For the first month or so squirrels pretty much kept clear of the yard, and I was pleased as punch that I had a low-cost and low-impact solution. By September, though, the squirrels were regularly back in the yard within a few feet of the devices. Also saw a large rat running along the fence catwalk one day, as well as rat droppings (now I'm back to the traps and poison).

Even with the varying sound frequencies, the rodents in my area seem to get used to these devices in a matter of weeks or months.

3.0 out of 5 stars This itiem only works for a short period if you want to use it to drive out squirrels., March 2, 2009
I have used this item to drive squirrels out of my attic. It worked only for a short period. The squirrels got used to it and still stay.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Worth Its Weight in Gold!, July 2, 2009
In a suburban neighborhood, I have been overrun by skunks and a raccoon. This is the 4th day I've used this device (yes, I was desperate and skeptical when I bought it), and from the time I plugged it in, I noticed the dramatic absence of these animals. I have it by my kitchen window, facing where they have made their home in my neighbor's yard, but enter into mine. To say I am thrilled is an understatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, February 8, 2008
Y. Roth (san rafael, ca) - See all my reviews
I have been fighting a rat problem in the attic for two years, including one year of using a commercial pest control company. They caught a few in the beginning but stopped catching them even though we could still hear them. Obviously the rats had learned to outsmart the traps. I finally took matters into my own hands and had this installed in the attic. It is an unfinished attic with no walls, so very conducive to this technology. In less than a week, no more rats! It still seems a little too good to be true, but so far so good... I'm a believer.

Rate and Discover Movies