4.0 out of 5 stars Still a little short
Published on April 22, 2001 by J. Lara

2.0 out of 5 stars m105 is a step backward - Get the IIIxe or the Vx ($$)
Palm Pilots in general are great things, but the Palm m105 (the whole m series, in fact) is a huge disapointment. As the Amazon review says, the OS isn't upgradeable -- a major flaw, imagine buying a PC with Windows 3.1 and never being able to change it! -- and the screen is too small for my taste.
The good thing is that Palm put a decent amount of memory (8 megs) in...
Published on March 8, 2001 by TomDinNJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a little short, April 22, 2001
J. Lara (Pasig City Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
Like my review for the m100 i will say that the m105 would be an excellent gift for the non-gadget consious, non-power packed hungry individuals. Its an excellent entry level palm. At its price is quite a bargin. Its main difference is that it has 4 times the memory. Trust me you will be quite pressed to max 8mb. Unless you use Avantgo or Fireviewer you wont even come close to filling 8mb up. The m105 also comes with a cradle instead of a cord. There's also a mobile kit included.
As a last piece of advice i highly recommend that you do your research before you go and by any PDA. Dont believe the PocketPC ads or even the Palm ads. Talk to a lot of people and read a lot of reviews, particularly reviews that are made my people like you or me who aren't on Palm's or Microsoft's payroll.(Unfortunately) They will really tell you a lot of things that you will really want to know.
Good Luck! Overall again this is a good introductory palm for those who dont have any type of PDA. Again it really depend on your needs in a PDA. If all you need is a place to write telephone numbers, keep a calendar, a to do list and maybe a few games, this would be adequate. However if you need to view documents, e-books, web clippings, spreadsheets, and even listen to music, you might want to go another direction. Also be prepared to part with a few more dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Palm Pilot m105..., July 11, 2001
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
Lots of storage capacity... All the cool features of the Palm™ m100 handheld, plus 8MB of memory, the Mobile Internet Kit, and a HotSync® cradle for fast and easy backup... Web and email friendly... The included Mobile Internet Kit makes it easy to stay in touch...Send and receive email wirelessly or tap into your favorite websites using your compatible modem or cell phone from practically anywhere... Totally customizable... Change the color of your handheld with an assortment of snap-on faceplates...Plus, add on any of the thousands of software applications available, from business productivity tools to games...Many are free... Keeps your data safe. Backup all your important data onto your desktop with the touch of a button using the included HotSync® cradle... At-a-glance timekeeping... Conveniently-positioned clock doubles as a travel alarm to get you up on time... Size/Weight: 4.66" x 3.12" x .72" / 4.4 oz...
Display: Advanced LCD with backlight...
Expandability: Serial connector...
Software Applications: Date Book, Address Boook, Mail, To Do List, Memo Pad, Expense, Calculator, Notepad, Security, Games, HotSync® technology for local and remote synchronization with your PC...
Desktop Import/Export: Import CSV, Tab delimited, TXT. Drag and drop links to Microsoft Excel and Word...
Infrared Port: Yes, for data/software sharing...
Operating System: Palm OS Software v3.5...
Flexible Storage Capacity: Highly efficient operating system w/ 8MB of memory stores thousands of addresses, years of appointments, hundreds of to-do items, notes, memos, and more than 50 add-on applications (based on an average size of 50k, size of applications may vary)...
Requirements: * IBM-compatible 486 PC or higher running Windows 95/98/2000/NT or Macintosh Power PC running OS 7.5.3 or later * Macintosh Power PC running OS 7.5.3 or later * 16MB recommended for Windows 2000 * 30MB free hard disk space * Mouse * CD Rom Drive * 6MB free RAM for Macintosh * One available serial port (USB and Macintosh serial adapters sold seperately)
Included in the box: * Palm m105 handheld * HotSync Cradle * Two AAA alkaline batteries * CD-ROM (Palm™ Desktop software, Link to Microsoft Outlook, AvantGo software) * Mobile Internet Kit * Black faceplate and protective flip cover
Cool Piece...IIIxe Is Now Discontinued...Great New Piece, But The Screen Is Smaller Than The IIIxe...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for the money!!!, June 20, 2001
"joezeph" (North Babylon, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
The Palm m105 is a great pieace of hardware, no matter how you live your life and want it for. The plastic is a little lighter grade, but if its your first dive into the world of Palms, you'll have nothing to compare this grade of plastic to anyway.
Palm gives you everything to get you started. You get the full Palm OS with the date book and phone book and the to do list, 8mb of memory, the new stylish, curved look, the cover plate with the clock feature, the syncing cradle and the multimail, AvantGo software and the Outlook Sync program too.
Plus, that wireless internet kit they throw in too. It works with lot's of Nokia cell phones and Motorola cell phones that have infrared, or you can buy a little cable to connect the two if you have a phone without infrared. ... you know you have a Palm that can do anything with, just by downloading and installing the right program. I do real-estate on the side, and I have mine do lease calculations for me, mortgage amortization charts, a dataadse to keep clients names and numbers, and also a database of places available to show. And the Date Book schedules who's seeing what and at what time and what day. For me personally, it keeps track of my bills with Pocket Quicken, holds all my friends numbers and addresses for me, and co-ordinates my social schedule as well. And for my company where I work, I am an accountant, and I have a program that can calculate gross profit, an entire business calculator I downloaded from somewhere and can work on spreadsheets or word processing documents whenever I get a chance (used to have to carry a laptop for that)! There is even a program to calculate the tip and divide the bill by how many people ate for a group at a restaraunt! Not Kidding! Anything and eveything, you can add it because you have 8mb.
Use it whenever you are stuck somewhere, like a train station, an airport, a cab ride, or just waiting in line at the supermarket. With the wireless internet connection, you can email people from anywhere..,your boat, the beach, the mall. The possibilities are endless, it can save you so much time. Not to mention having all the info you need to run your career right in your hand. Or should I say in the Palm of your hand? :)
-JoeD

4.0 out of 5 stars Palm m105 - a great 1st PDA!, March 6, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
All in all, I'm very satisfied with the m105. Sometimes I still turn it on just to look at the single-screen schedule/to-do list and just say, "Wow." It's the little things that impress us most, and the m105 has lots of little things.
Although my life wasn't that busy, and I had most of my appointments/phone numbers either in my head or in my PC, I found the latest Palm product, the m105, surprisingly useful. To make a long story short, I bought it because I wanted a neat device that might come in handy sometime. And it came in very hany indeed!
One of its many hidden joys is the option to view daily appointments and the to-do list on a single page. That alone has me overjoyed. I probably turn the Palm on a dozen times every day, and most of the time, I can get all the information I need off that single screen.
This Palm really deserves 4 1/2 stars. Compared it to my friend's brand-new Palm Vx,it's has the same level of functionality for my money. I'm not really sure why anyone would feel the need to spend so much more money to get what amounts to additional glamour.
Built-in features? Everything you could need. Appointments, notes, to-do list, calculator. I love the AvantGo software that comes bundled with the Palm, too. Also 8mb of memory quite enough! The m105 has more than enough memory to deal with the rigors of organizing someone's life.
The bottom line is that this little gadget is a lifesaver. I use Microsoft Outlook to manage my e-mail, contacts, datebook and to-do lists. But, I found that to be useful only when I was sitting in front of my computer - if I was out of the house I couldn't ever remember what I needed to do, where I needed to be or anyone's phone number. Now, I just plug a cable into my Palm m105, push a button and all of my data is on a mini computer that fits in my shirt pocket.
Try it yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mono-Chrome pda, November 7, 2003
William Hardin (Fort Pierce, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
First off, Id like to say that Ive had this pda for over three years. Ive continuosly used it since I had gotten mine,(i won mine)and Ive never had a problem with it. Ive dropped it, kicked it, I have even stepped on it!(None of these on purpose) It doesnt have a scracth. And it seems like theres unlimited memory. Ive never had to delete any thing for extra memory, and 8mb may not sound like much, but it is! And there are superior graphics on this handheld. Even though it isnt color. Such a bargain too! The only problem is that if your batterys die or fall out, your memory is reset, deleting all files!!!
I rate this great for anyone with a cash limit- otherwise go for the Palm m130!!!
Pros: Lots o' Memory, Great graphics, very durable
Cons: If batterys fall out, all files are lost =(

2.0 out of 5 stars m105 is a step backward - Get the IIIxe or the Vx ($$), March 8, 2001
TomDinNJ (Maplewood, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
The good thing is that Palm put a decent amount of memory (8 megs) in this model. If you get one of the 2 meg models you may as well get a basic $50 electronic address book from Radio Shack. 8 megs should be the absolute MINIMUM amount of memory in a handheld PC. I'd really like to see Palm begin offering models with 16 or 32 megs of RAM like, dare I say it, PocketPCs.
The best Palm model out there is the Vx (it is even better with an OmniSky modem) but it is way too expensive. The next best choice is the IIIxe (which I hear they've stopped producing, so grab one now) which has all top of the line features except it doesn't have the internal rechargeable battery and it is bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for a great product., April 10, 2001
Jin W. Yu (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
I just don't see a need to spend up to $500 to enjoy the fruits of mobile computing. However, with the $200 price tag and the upgrade to 8mb of memory (m100 has 2mb) My curiosity got the better of me. The drawbacks are the slightly smaller screen and thats it. It's slightly thicker than the Vx but that doesn't matter. It's a perfect starter organizer for anyone. The hotsync feature is awesome, it totally syncs up to Outlook and updates your address book and notes even. The Avantgo webclippings are great. You pick your favorite websites and it updates all the info from them when you hotsync. The graffiti is ultra easy to use. I also surf the net via Motorola Timport perfect for emails, instant messaging and even surfing! (Timeport comes with a wireless net connection kit for PDA's and Laptops) I don't know how I lived without this little guy now and I don't have to carry my laptop everywhere just for some contact info or somthing. I've also become a freak for downloading new apps for it as well. It's very easy to do. One last thing, all the available faceplates make this a really cool looking gadget too. I've got a metallic gun metal blue. It's beautiful and the leather case Palm makes for this is totally contoured and stylish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Palm for techno buffs with limited funds, March 15, 2001
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
I've been wanting a PDA for quite a while now, and decided to finally plunk down the money when the m105 came out. At $199 and 8 mb, it fits my finances and my lifestyle needs. Personally, I need a PDA for typical, everyday scheduling, address book, memos and games.
The PDA is very user friendly, I barely browsed the user manual and was able to get the hang of it in no time. The m105 comes with a HotSync cradle that allows you to "sync" your PDA with your PC, so for instance, whatever you type into your PDA (or vice versa) can be transferred into your PC with the touch of a button. Very easy to do, and quite helpful too. (You always have a back up.)
You can get tons of downloadable games and programs on the Internet for your m105, for free or for very little cost. I have already downloaded games, travel programs and a Spanish dictionary, and have plenty of memory left.
There is also a "notepad" function, which is similiar to Post It notes, you just scribble your note onto the screen and when you pull it up again, there your note is.
Well worth the money if you are interested in a basic PDA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband wants to trade his IIIxe with me for my m105!, December 1, 2001
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
My husband has a Palm IIIxe that he received from his office. It was required, and he and I have never seen a PDA before. After we played around with it, and learned all about it, we really loved it! I saw the m105 and wanted to get an entry level PDA for myself. The price was right, and very competitive with other companies (less expensive in some cases)! I have grown to love my m105. It has all the space/memory I need (8MB), plus the palm body glove I bought is wonderful. My husband's IIIxe is also 8MB, but he likes the clock feature on my palm, and is impressed with its capabilities as well. I highly recommend this PDA especially for those who have never had a PDA. It is a great little tool, and has organized my appointments and my son's sports activities, dentist appointments, etc. I am looking for a program to add for bank account organization and other extras. If you are shopping around like I was, I think this item is more than worth the price for the benefits you receive! The tech support is great too (90 days free support).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very functional, May 16, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: PalmOne m105 Handheld (Office Product)
I bought one after breaking the screen on my Visor Deluxe. I used it for two weeks before I even remembered that I had worried about the screen size before buying it. Bottom line: don't fret over the screen size. It won't matter at all.
Pros: smaller and lighter than Visors. The flip screen cover makes such a difference. It allows me to carry it around and jot quick notes much more than I did with my Visor. I can't understand how people complain about its appearance. I think it even looks better than the V series. It does not look like a toy, a la the blue or green Visors.
Cons: lacks the built-in apps that the Visor had. Ridiculous that it does not have USB connectivity by default. (What year is it, Palm?)

PalmOne m105 Handheld