4.0 out of 5 stars Asus PA248Q vs Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Published 9 months ago by Steven

2.0 out of 5 stars Backlight Bleeding - Flashlight/Spotlight effect
First off, The pros:
Solidly built with swivel/tilt/turn-sideways stand (which is awesome for reading or coding)
Full 1920x1200 resolution (better for computer work than 1080p)
USB 3.0 Hub
Good connection options
All cables are included (except HDMI), even a velcro strap is!
Measurement marks (which I didn't have a chance to use but they seem...
Published 18 months ago by Finch

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus PA248Q vs Dell UltraSharp U2412M, January 23, 2014
This review is from: ASUS PA248Q 24-Inch LED-Lit IPS Professional Graphics Monitor (Personal Computers)
This review is for people who are trying to decide between the Dell Asus PA248Q vs UltraSharp U2412M. I was really stuck when it came to picking between the two as they are very similar and in the end I ordered both of them and was able to compare them side by side. The following reviews are from my personal experience comparing them side by side, not from any of the specs. Hopefully this helps someone make the right choice for them.

The Dell: The picture quality is slightly better than the Asus. Colors are a little bit more rich and the contrast is a bit better on the Dell. Refresh rate seemed to be about equal on both monitors. The monitor I had did not have any back light bleed either although it did have a bit of IPS glow (a little less than the Asus) but that's expected. The anti glare coating was not a problem for me at all. The Dell also is missing several features that are nice to have. It only has DVI and VGA and the USB ports on the side are 2.0. One complaint I had with the Dell is the menu system. Your choices for calibrating the monitor are fairly limited and the menu system is not the easiest to use. The stand feels good and it is spring loaded so the monitor slides up and down very easily.

The Asus: This monitor seems to me to be superior is every way except for the picture quality. The picture quality, while very good, is slightly worse than the Dell as mentioned above. A lot of people complain about back light bleed with this monitor but the one I received had no back light bleed. It did have a little bit more IPS glow than the Dell however. One nice part is that the Asus has tons of nice features such as USB 3.0, 1:1 picture scaling, it comes calibrated, has HDMI, has picture in picture and has measurement overlays on the screen. The menu system on the Asus is better than the Dell because it gives you a lot more options for adjusting the image and the buttons on the side include a little joystick that makes operating the menu very easy and nice. The Stand is very sturdy and nice although I think I preferred the Dell simply because of the spring. The anti glare coating on the Asus did not bother me at all and is basically the same as on the Dell. One other thing is that even though the Asus is shown with a red line on the bottom, it doesn't actually have it, its just black.

Conclusion: The Dell has slightly better picture quality and the Asus has better everything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic monitor at a great price, September 29, 2012
When the Asus PA248Q 24 inch LED IPS monitor arrived overnight on my doorstep (You have to love Amazon Prime) I recieved a much better monitor than expected. The monitor is packaged very well and arrived as expected. There are good reviews on it. Let me add a few things that I never saw listed.

This is my fifth IPS monitor purchased in the last eight years. I don't waste my time on TN glass. Several things led me to the purchase of the Asus monitor: Overall good reviews, no coating smudges and the color gamut, and the USB 3.0 ports. I considered the PA246Q monitor for a few more dollars but chose this one for the USB ports.

It worked perfectly out of the box and the first noticable difference was the color. It is incredible and it puts the colors on my old Gateway FPD2485W monitor to shame. They run next to each other, the Gateway turned up for vertical use. The Asus also runs much cooler - warm to the touch and nothing close to the Gateway furnace. I suspect that it the LED that makes the difference.

It had some unexpected surprises. First, the bezel surrounding the screen is smaller. The stand is well built and very sturdy. The monitor cannot wiggle around. You can read about the ports. And it has the picture-in-picture feature of the Asus 246Q monitor; somethingthat is not listed in Amazon's description of the product. Better yet, I plugged in my USB 3.0 portable hard drive; it powered up easily and my computer quickly recognized it. I used it all day with no problems. I had not expected that.

Setup is easy. The colors are accurate. I love the 5-way rocker switch. I love the different adjustments it allows. I suppose if there is a downside it would be that it is extremely bright even at the lowest settings. But my aging eyes see it well and I am getting used to it. White leans toward the blue part of the spectrum (LED again) but changing colors does not affect the white color or the black. A black background on your screen seems "shiny" and deep compared to flatter monitors but it is easily covered with a dark grey or light black background. The colors are so fantastic one might as well use photos instead.

At 6ms refresh, there is no noticable ghosting in games. That is pretty quick for an IPS monitor. And again the colors make the game so much more immersive.

Considering the fact that I spent over $600 on my last IPS monitor, I am going to buy another one and run them side by side. My only disappointment was that Amazon lowered the price by $45 the day after it arrived. Talk about bad luck. Still, it is a great deal. My advise: Buy it.

My last comment: There were NO BAD PIXELS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Price, Quality & Service, September 14, 2012
truth in advertising (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I read every review I could find about this monitor. I demoed the competitive HP and Dell monitors. This ASUS is the real deal. Pro quality at an affordable price.

The first one had one stuck pixel - it always stayed white. Amazon cross-shipped a second one. That one had two stuck pixels. Dang! Amazon overnighted the third one - PERFECT. I returned the first two and kept the third one. Amazon only charged me for one monitor. Unbelievable service.

Items are made in factories. Things go wrong. Amazon makes it right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice, December 5, 2012
I was torn between this model and the Dell U2412m which has more reviews. Ultimately the choice of inputs, including HDMI won me over and I am happy with my decision.

Pros; Great color, no dead pixels, and the best stand ever. Love the tactile buttons, joystick and the intuitive menu. You can switch inputs easily via selector on the front of the monitor and the monitor defaults to the last input used. The USB ports are great for attaching drives, cameras etc.

Cons; The usb ports are on the extreme edge of the monitor which does not make for a good look when attaching permanent accessories such as keyboards (think totally visible dongles and wires). Also the ports are all on the left so the wireless usb dongle for my logitch M510 mouse does not work in my right hand.

Misc; I don't see the light bleed some complain about in normal use. Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 recognized the 16:10 aspect ratio automatically when I switched from 16:9. The default brightness of 50 was a bit much... 30 was better for me. Save your back by rotating the monitor into portrait to plug in cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive monitor, November 3, 2012
Mark-O (Fenton, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I purchased this monitor around the middle of October, after researching many reviews and comparisons between this monitor and the Dell U2412. The performance between the 2 monitors appeared to be a wash, both seemed to perform very well for the money spent. The customer service, included cables and the USB 3.0 ports tipped my decision towards the ASUS, and I do not regret my choice. I purchased the monitor to help me get more accurate results editing photos in Photoshop. I find this monitor to be a fantastic value, a good balance between price and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Resolution and Contrast, August 6, 2012
I've just installed the Azus PA248Q and I'm shocked at how much better it is that my Laptop screen or my old Samsung LCD. The text is jumping off the page and the graphics are brilliant. It has VGA, DVI, and 2 HDMI inputs for connecting up to it along with a USB 3.0 Bus with 4 ports on the left side of the monitor. I've never written a review for any of the products I buy but this monitor is just too good.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed and very satisfied! Price and performace = happy camper., July 12, 2013
I had no idea what I was missing.

As a photographer that spends a lot of time post-processing images, the monitor is extremely important. I've just learned this the hard way.

My prior monitors ranged from good to poor. I just built an entirely new system with all high-end components, except for the monitor. I used a cheap LCD from LG, and it was pretty bad.

I received this monitor yesterday, unpacked it, and plugged it in.

I immediately saw an incredible difference, not only between this one and my previous monitor, but between this and the "good" monitors I've had before, including my current Sony Vaio laptop monitor, and my Samsung Galaxy S3 display. This display is so incredibly sharp, smooth, and the color is just about perfect.

Before, I'd spend huge amounts of time tweaking an image, and when I made a print, the output was very different from what I saw on screen. With this monitor, I can't really tell any significant difference between the screen color and the output (print) color. It makes my job so much easier!

I do not have any of the issues mentioned in these reviews. The only similarity to negative reviews is that when the monitor is not receiving a signal, I do see a tiny bit of brightness in the corners. Once the signal is established, I can't see any difference in brightness anywhere on the screen.

I love how easy it is to set up. It's assembled in the box, and the stand is incredibly sturdy and easy to use.

When they say this monitor is pre-calibrated, they mean it. I haven't changed a single setting so far, and I doubt I will. It just seems perfect right now.

I will be buying a second one of these. I hooked up my other monitor to use for monitoring e-mail, etc, while working in this screen, and the other one looks so terrible in comparison I just can't keep it hooked up. It has to go!

For the price, I don't believe this monitor can be beat. I can't afford a $2,500 pro monitor, and with this, I don't need one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Backlight Bleeding - Flashlight/Spotlight effect, April 1, 2013
First off, The pros:
Full 1920x1200 resolution (better for computer work than 1080p)
USB 3.0 Hub
Good connection options
All cables are included (except HDMI), even a velcro strap is!
Measurement marks (which I didn't have a chance to use but they seem like they might be useful for photo/graphic design)
Good menu system and controls - has a small pointer to move through menus, not just buttons

Cons:
VERY bright
Colors seemed a bit off, too "blue"
Severe backlight bleeding in three locations (I uploaded a photo w/ it side by side with my old Dell U2412m)
Update 2 - USB Power shortages - can't support a portable hard drive's power

Overall, it has potential. I think I just got a bad one as the brightness and color problems could be associated to the backlight problem. I'm going to give it another try

Update - Gave it another star as the replacement is much better, but still has some backlight leakage on the left-hand side. Pressing on the bezel around that area seems to help but that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in its quality

Update 2 - It turns out the Monitor's USB 3.0 hub may have intermittent power issues
Occasional power outages for one or both devices connected:
- Portable USB 3.0 hard drive - WD 2TB
- USB optical mouse - Logitech G400
It's working right now though, so I'm going to wait and see

5.0 out of 5 stars A great monitor if not satisfied with Asus VS248H-P, August 10, 2013
I received my Asus PA248QA a few days ago and just had time today to unpack it. Here are my first impressions. I purchased this monitor for watching movies and programming. I have no interest in games so factor this into my review. I purchased this monitor after returning an Asus VS248H-P, reasons for which I will elaborate on later in this review.

1. Packaging: Box is solid and very large. This is because the stand takes so much space. It weighs a bunch because of the stand. But, the stand is a huge bonus compared to the Asus VS248H-P, which is not as stable, sits very low to the desk top and is only tilt-adjustable. The buttons of the VS248H-P are on the bottom and sitting so low on the desk make them difficult to use. The included Styrofoam packing is very solid. You may want to keep the packaging intact in case you need to return yours. Monitor and stand are plastic wrapped for scratch resistance. You may want to keep this also. The accessories are all plastic wrapped.

2. Enclosed instructions and manual: I found the multilingual Quick Start Guide to be very hard to read... Look at it and you will understand. The font is extremely small. The enclosed ASUS VIP Member Notice is printed in a very small font but is readable. Note that the ASUS warranty is described therein. The coverage is 3 years parts/labor and free two-way shipping in US and Canada. Note that this monitor has "Zero Bright Dot" warranty coverage but says nothing about dead/dark pixels. The user manual and driver are on an enclosed CDROM. I could not find the warranty card but the Warranty service will take the invoice/receipt in its place. You will also find a color calibration report in the box.

3. Accessories: USB 3.0 Hub Cable, Velcro Cable Strap, Power cable, DVI, Display Port and VGA cables. Others have complained that it should come with an HDMI cable. I have no issue with this.

4. Physical/Structural impressions: Weighs less than half( probably less than 1/3) the Dell 2410 that it replaced. It also emits almost no heat compared to the Dell. The stand is pre-installed and the monitor is VESA compliant. The stand is solid, rock solid and has at least 4" of vertical travel and can rotate to Portrait Mode and can be tilted -5° ~ +20°. The monitor is VESA compliant ( 100x100mm ) so a stand can be purchased for $20-$40, if that is an issue. I can't imagine why you would want another stand, unless you want to pair a couple of monitors. All of the buttons are on the bevel on the lower RHS of the monitor. They are on the front of the bezel which makes it much easier to use. Also, there is a quick navigation button and a couple of shortcut buttons that can be configured. This all makes working with the OSD much easier than on the VS248H-P.

5. Performance/Quality: No bad pixels. Plenty of preset modes for me. I will adjust it later. Text looks fine with varying quality depending on the application without any "painful" text reading experiences. No LED bleed through around the edges. I am happy with the presets but may fiddle with other settings. It is truly a beautiful monitor and is highly adjustable with the OSD and special buttons.

6. Miscellaneous: The headphone jack works if you use an HDMI cable and enable the HDMI sound device as the default in Win7. There is no hum and noise when using the headphones (hissing) as with the VS248H-P.

Overall, this is the best 24 inch monitor in its price range. As for why I replaced the Asus VS248H-P with this model: The stand is stable and adustable. I consider that a $20-$40 value. The buttons are more accessible, have greater functionality and make the OSD much easier to navigate. I consider that at least a $10 value. There is a display port which I consider a part of future proofing if I may need it, a $5 value. There are an additional 120 lines of resolution which I consider a $30 value. There is less aliasing and font appearance is highly improved. There is a USB 3.0 hub which is a $20 value. All together, this monitor cost me $100 more than the Asus VS248H-P and it was worth it because combined, all of the advantages are just not available in one package, so that brings it passed $100.

UPDATE: Had to send this one back due to blacking out. Purchased the same monitor and it is just fine, so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent display, August 18, 2013
Juan Gomez (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
It's a great display, works flawlessly with my Retina MacBook Pro using the Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to DisplayPort Cable in White 6 Feet and you can't beat the price, it is a really great value.

I've been using this Display with my 15'' rMBP and and an older 13'' MBP and it works extremely well. I used it with the DVI cable + adapter for a couple of days and it worked nice too, didn't notice any flickering or any other issue, but I prefer using the straight DisplayPort cable with no adapter. I've also been using it for watching movies by connecting a Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player to the HDMI input with fantastic results.

VGA and HDMI are not the best options for this monitor, they're a convenient option for certain cases but you want to use the display long term on DVI or DisplayPort to take full advantage of the nice features this Display offers. Some of the config menu options even get disabled when you plug in an HDMI or VGA input. (Like the sRGB mode, the 6-axis adjustment, etc.)

No backlight bleeding on my unit and the colors are vibrant and accurate. I did a lot research and spent a lot of time comparing and finally chose this monitor. I'm extremely satisfied with my decision.