Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Auto Lens Cap for PANASONIC LUMIX DMC LX5 LX-5, LEICA D-LUX 5 + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 7, 2010
First off, lens cap fits like a champ. The 3 pieces extend all the way out so there is no vignetting on the photos.

But the real five stars goes to the seller. After an initial poor review (b/c of my own stupidity not knowing you need to unscrew the seal around the lens of the camera to get this new cap on), GOJA called me to make sure everything was cool and even offered to send out a new cap just in case it was the manufacturer's fault. Followed up w/ me a couple of days later too.

Really great to know the seller has my back, and I will always look to his store first before buying first.

A++++ experience.
55 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
I bought a version of this on Ebay(same price, but i paid a little extra for a sun hood combo). I think this cap is a highly practical add-on to the LX5. Removing/attaching the default lens cap was a nuisance. In the spur of the moment, i don't want to fuss with a lens cap.

Installation is a little tricky, the fine threads don't always engage on the first try. I tend to rotate it counterclockwise first, then clockwise (helps me to line-up the threads). DO be careful about cross-threading the plastic threads on the cap.

About the flap gaps, they are present and would eventually allow dust and pocket lint onto the lens. To remedy, I carefully layered on some super glue onto the edges of the flaps, to reduce the gaps between the flaps. Work on one flap at a time and with the cap off the camera. Layer the glue onto each edge, thinly. If you layer it on too thick, then you can just file it down. You only have to do this to two of the flaps. File the super glue to eliminate any interference between the flaps' edges.
It's an easy modification and will reduce the amount of dust/lint that might get in.

The flap springs are my only concern with the product, I hope they hold up over the next couple of years. I have owned this cap for 2months now.

I do recommend this product to all LX5 owners. Especially for travelers. For long storage or shipping, the stock cap would provide more protection.
on May 18, 2011
I purchased this hoping that it would solve my problem with the annoying lenscap. While it screws on easily and opens and closes as advertized, the gaps between the three leaves are huge. The gaps are large enough that I sand, lint, and just about anything you would NOT want on your lens would easily contact your lens through these gaps. If you purchase this, hold the closed lens cap to the light and notice how large the gaps are, then decide of you want this "protecting" your lens. I hoped I could adjust it to make the three leaves fit tighter but to no avail. It's a great idea but it simply doesn't work at protecting the lens.
on November 12, 2011
As some other reviewers have noted, this cap is not perfect. In spite of some minor issues, I'd still recommend it.

The leaves don't shut precisely enough to make a complete seal over the lens, and small gaps remain. I think this is less of an issue than some people make it out to be. If I'm putting or using my camera somewhere where there's a lot of sand or dirt that would work its way into those openings, I should be concerned about it getting elsewhere in the camera's mechanisms (like the lense ratio adjustment slide, mic, etc...) as well.

The biggest thing is that this does not thread on very easily or smoothly. If you are going to be changing this out (for example to sometimes use other lenses with the adapter, or a lense hood) I would not recommend it. I'm not sure if the threads aren't milled/molded to match correctly, or if this is just a limitation of using plastic, but it doesn't match up or mate nearly as well as say the aluminum Panasonic ring that covers those threads originally. So just be careful putting it on, and try not to cross thread it.

All this said, for the price, I think it's a good deal, and these small issues are tolerable. I'm sure someone could make a beautifully machined aluminum auto-opening lens cover that doesn't have any gaps, and threads on perfectly...but it would probably cost many times what this GOJA one does.

I say that while not perfect, it's good enough, a good value for the price, and makes the camera infinitely more useful for quick or candid shots.
on May 16, 2011
This lens cap works well for those that don't want to have a "normal" lens cap hanging off of the camera when shooting (wind flopping it around). However, it does leave a small gap between the three flaps so dust, sand, etc will get in.
User will have to decide what is more important (not leaving a lens cap dangling or not fully protecting the lens when closed).
on October 27, 2011
Having been shooting with SLR's and now dSLR's for about forty years the LX-5 lens cap for me was no big deal. However, having purchased the LX5 for it's simplicity, and lightweight I didn't want to be bothered by the lens cap. I ordered the JJC and it is just amazing. It's a bit hard to get on there, but it is very, very secure. I only remove it when I want to attach the adapter tube to use filters with the LX5. I don't know how many folks have stopped and asked me where i bought this thing whenever I'm out and about. It works, it's inexpensive. It protects the lens, and at the same time it makes the camera available immediately upon power up.
Some have complained the lens cap allows dust onto the lens. I haven't seen that and I keep the camera in my pockets much of the time when I'm out. The other day I had it sitting in my backyard as I was using a blower to move some fallen leaves. Afterwards, I went to use the camera and did in fact see some minor specks on the lens -- however, I was using a 210 MPH capable blower and it did stir up some dust into the air. Other than that, it's really nothing to worry about from my point of view.
I would purchase this again, and again. I love it.
on March 30, 2013
I am not a big "aftermarket" guy. When I tried this camera, I found the removable lens cap to be a bit of a hassle. The camera does provide a nice tether, so a least I would have to try to lose it. The solid cap supplied with the cameria is definitely stronger, and has no gaps, but only provides protection when you put it on, whereas this unit is on whenever the lens is retracted. If you are using the camera on a windy beach, or where it will be knocked around, the original equipment cap and ring is probably best. For how I use the camera, swing it up for a quick shot, the tradeoff is probably worth it.

Replaces the metal bezel ring on the camera. Fits perfectly. Original ring is metal. This device is plastic. Orher reviewers note "large gaps" when closed. Gaps in ine one I got measure less than 3/1000" closed (typical sheet of paper is 4/1000), and are similar to the auto cover on my Canon Powershot, which has worked well for 5 years. While I see how gaps could increase if the 3 flaps are not flush, they currently close with surprisingly tight tolerance The flaps close by abuttment, not overlap like an iris. In looking at them, you would think they would not resist pressure in the center, but they seem more protective than the cover on the powershot as well. (of course the solid lens cap is still the best)

There is a bit of bulk to the 3 "ears" on the cap which house the hinge and spring assembly which allow the unit to open and close. I received a polycarbonate LCD protector and cleaning cloth with my order. The cover fits perfectly, applies easily and unlike cell phone protectors I've tried seems to be worth using. It is nearly invisible on the LCD, and fits perfectly.

On removing the ring on the camera, the fitting is more like a triflange lens to body mount than a thread, so the initial force seems a little high until the ring disengages. There is another "thread protector" on the front of the lens barrell itself that is noted in the camera instruction manual. This device replaces the larger ring which is immediately in front of the aperature control ring. I don't see any structural issues with making the change.

The cleaning cloth is standard microfiber. I like to have one for the inadvertent finger print on the lens. (of course, never MY fingerprint) LOL. The cloth measures 6X7" and is provided in a 2.5 W by 6" long plastic envelope- The top flap of the envelope has resealable adhesive, but since the envelope is narrow and long, and the flap is short, the cloth does catch the adhesive. Easy to get it out, not so easy to put it back. A more durable / easier to use case to keep the cloth free of debris that might scratch the lens would be nice.

I will update based on durability of the plastic. For the price, can't go wrong, and the vendor seems committed to service. Included was a paper of tips from the supplier, initialled by the president of the company. A nice touch.
on December 4, 2010
Ordered this for my LX5 after I found myself often walking around with the cam without the stock lens cap due to the hassle of taking it in and out. Found this JJC cap on Amazon. The cap fit nice and tight with the camera. Build quality is decent. Give it a 4-star due to the fact that it's a little on the expensive side.
on May 14, 2011
I got this for my new white Lumix lx5. It's better than having the lens cap dangling by the string, or unattached where it's easy to lose. Overall I'm happy with it. The two things I'm not delighted with are the look, which is definitely not as nice as the Lumix lens cap that comes with the camera (especially if you have the white camera like I do), and the threading which is tricky to get lined up, and even after you do does not seem like a perfect fit.
I admit: I am falling deeply in love with the Panasonic Lumix LX5 I bought a couple of weeks ago.

It is the closest I've come so far to finding a digital equivalent to my old Leica M6s.

It is light, small, has superb Leica f2 24 - 90mm optics, cycles exceptionally fast and has a full suite of manual and automatic controls.

But the factory supplied lens cap is strictly obsolete: a friction fitted, separate entity that must be removed by squeezing two releases. And the thing hangs by a string! So very yesterday.

This lens cap, however, is a bit of genius.

Take off the ring that covers the filter attachment ring, screw the lens cap on and that's it.

Whenever you power on the camera, the extending lens pushes aside the three leafs comprising the cap and you're ready to shoot.

On the LX5, this happens within a second or two once the camera has been initially powered up. When the lens retracts, the three flaps return to their closed position, doing a pretty good job of protecting the lens.

The three flaps are fairly rigid, which is good in terms of providing protection to the front lens element. (One major design flow in the LX5 is not providing a filter retaining ring on the front element barrel for mounting a UV filter.)

With this lens cap and the optical viewfinder, I have a rig that is very well suited for street shooting and behaves very much like my beloved and long-gone Leica M6s.

Neat product!