Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Size: 27-Inch|Style Name: WQHD, 178°|Change

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 2, 2015
Just want to write a quick review. I did not buy this monitor from Amazon but rather Microcenter. I bought one back in 2013 which was perfect, no backlight bleeding or color issues. It is still perfect today. I recently decided I wanted a dual monitor set up. I bought another one a few weeks ago; it had backlight bleeding that took up 20 pct of the screen. Photoshop was unusable. I thought it was just that one monitor, so I exchanged it. Same issue with the next one, then I ended up just returning it and keeping my one monitor set up. I'm writing this review because I did some research online and it is not just me that is having these black light bleeding out the issue, but something about the models being ship in 2015. So be aware of this issue when buying. I'll post a picture of the problem. The monitor on the right is the newer one, now returned.
review image
2323 comments| 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2014
This monitor is very sharp and clear as you would expect. Unlike some of the reviewers with negative comments I was able to get it running at 4k resolution with 60hz. My fundamental issue is not with those things like many others. My issue is like one reviewer called a "Milky white" hue over the entire monitors image. I've tried every combination of cables, Calibration on my 15 Retina Macbook pro (Summer 2014) and there is nothing that i can do to get this monitor to produce the color black or anything close to being acceptable as black. For this reason I can't give it more than 2 stars even though in every other way (only after 2 days using it) it seems to be pretty darn good for the price.

My next issue is that I spent an hour submitting and resubmitting my case to the Asus website... which did everything it could to make my entering of information difficult and ensure I was human but didn't do nearly enough to actually accept and process my case. All I could get after doing this approximately 4 times with a ton of issues along the way, was an error after the submission with no other feedback. I assume that because i never got an email from them saying the case was received that I had done this so many times for no reason at all. And I refuse to sit on the phone for hours and hours getting little to no help like the other reviewers with issues did. I'm extremely technical and did everything possible to save this monitor from needing to go back but not having the color black and living with everything looking like it has a white film over it is unacceptable for a 600 dollar piece of equipment, especially when the 170 dollar Samsung WUXGA monitor next to it has much better color while not being special enough to sit on the same desk.

I really really wish I could fix this issue but this doesn't appear to be driver related etc.

Just to frame it up I used DP 1.1 and 1.2 configurations (Monitor's menus), am using a 2014 MBP retina 15 (4k@ 30 and 60hz) and a 2013 MBP retina 13 (only runs at 2560x1600). I went through the Mac display expert mode calibration process and managed to get the monitor to the best image i could manage. After not looking at another monitor while using it this yielded semi-acceptable results.... except when you put up anything with black being a major part of the color palette. This is where it all falls apart and i become Extremely disappointed and highly annoyed for every second i have to look at these 'dark grey blacks'.

The image i have attached is the result of many hours of tweaking and calibrating. The picture was in a poorly lit room so the monitor is getting more credit than it deserves but the one on the right is the Asus PB287Q and the one on the right is a 170/dollar 24 inch samsung with hardly any inputs of features (running at 1900x1200). You can see that this 'best' image i could derive out of the Asus hardly passes for black when compared to the Cheap Samsung.
review image
2222 comments| 257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2014
Last year, 4K monitors were going for $3000+. There were only really three in the market: Dell, Sharp, and Asus (unless you count the Seiki 4K TV as a monitor). After CES, there has been a flood of sub-$1000 4K monitors from Dell, AOC, Phillips, Samsung, Asus, and Lenovo. I would avoid the Dell monitor like the plague as it maxes out at 30Hz. The Lenovo, like most Lenovo products, has been delayed to foreverdom. That leaves us with AOC, Samsung, Phillips, and Asus. From what I understand, all four are using the same TN panel so it all really depends on which manufacturer you're loyal to and what you think will look the best on your desk.

I had narrowed it down between Asus and Samsung. The Samsung is the most aesthetically pleasing IMHO, but the fact that its stand is non-adjustable and non-VESA is what ultimately made me stay away from it. However, the main reason I went with Asus was mainly because it seems to be getting the best recommendation from all the tech websites. Tom's Hardware has a 10 page in-depth review of it.

Putting it together is a breeze. The mount is already on so all you need to do is use the turn screw for the base and you're done. A 3 minute job if you know what you're doing. The stand is well built and can be adjusted in all sorts of angles, all the way to portrait. It has the best stand out of all the 4K monitors.

Your connections are limited to DisplayPort, HDMI x2, and MHL. Some might consider this a con, but really if you're purchasing this monitor it's assumed that you have a rig with DisplayPort 1.2 that's capable of 4K 60Hz. 30Hz is unusable for a majority of people out there (which is why I recommend to stay the hell away from the Dell). However, trying to get 60Hz is where the fun begins.

I know AMD users have had problems getting 60Hz on the monitor (although this issue has apparently been fixed with updated drivers). I have an Nvidia GeFore GTX 770 and EVERYTHING I read online was positive. Once the stream is changed to 1.2, the 60Hz should be automatic for Nvidia capable GPUs. First off, 4K is absolutely stunning. You will pee your pants. I had owned a 50" 4K Seiki for a month before returning it. If it wasn't for the quality control issues and the 30Hz limitation I would have kept it, but anyway, the point is that 4K is gorgeous. It's like having a 28" iPad in your face.

The reason I got this monitor though is for the 4K at 60Hz capability. So off I went to change the stream to 1.2 after the 5 minute set up of putting it all together and connecting the included Display Port cable. And BAM! Wait a minute... nope, not 60Hz. Hmmm... WHAT THE HELL?!! I knew troubleshooting this thing would be a war.

Well, to make a long story short, I spent 2 days trying to read every forum post, using different DisplayPort cables, going on the OSD a trillion times, and all that good stuff. When it was all said and done... the problem was that I was using beta Nvidia drivers. Once I reverted to the most stable driver, there it was... glorious and magnificent 4K at 60Hz.

So... if you're on the beta drivers, as recommended by a previous reviewer... install the most recent stable drivers instead and it could save you 2 days worth of frustration. I don't even know why I overlooked such a small detail. So anyway, yeah, this is an awesome monitor. It's hands down the best monitor I've ever owned.

If you're a professional video/photo editor though, then you probably already know that this isn't an IPS panel. That is why it's not $3000. For someone like me who just wants something in super crazy 4K at 60Hz, this monitor is the cream of the crop.
88 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2014
So after reading all the pros and cons that Amazon reviewers had to say about this monitor, I decided to jump ship and buy it.
1 week using it and here is my review:

EXTERNAL LOOKS

A- Bezel frame: Thin (~1.5cm from all sides) and with matte finish. Compared to my ASUS VG278H whose frame is a bit thicker but full reflective plastic.

B- Monitor stand: Made of matte plastic, now I am guilt-free for placing the center speaker right under the monitor on its stand not fearing to scratch it.

C- Adjustment: As you probably know, you can adjust the height and tilt of the monitor (i don't care about the 90 degree rotation really), you must know this feature of height & tilt adjustment is crucial for TN type monitors to give you the best "sweet spot" to get best picture possible.

D- Function Keys: Many pro reviewers said ASUS should move the keys to the bottom instead of the weird behind the monitor new location. I agree with that. But I don't agree with the pro reviewers that this caused them to press the on/off multiple times while trying to adjust the monitor specs, this never happened with me. Lets face it, pro youtube reviewers review like 100 things a week, they go on fast and clumsy when testing so yes it does happen with them, but when you are the final owner and you adjust the monitor to your liking, this should not happen with you.

USING THIS 4K BEAST

A- TN Panel: Compared to my other ASUS VG278H (using at home) and ASUS VE278Q (using at work), this 4K monitor has excellent viewing angels like them, if not a tiny slightly hard-to-see better than them.

B- Colors: side by side as I'm writing this review, comparing this 4K with the VG278H, the 4K has more vivid & crispier colors, however the VG278H is more brighter and handles the contrast/brightness better. Is this really affecting my view? No. Any effect on gaming or regular photo viewing? No. If they weren't side by side, you won't notice. I tried to adjust both monitors to give the exact same colors but after 15 minutes I gave up, I managed to get them very close to each other, but when you see the same background on both monitors you can tell there is slight difference between the colors, but not something like WOW that's TOO much. Does it bother me? No.

C- Regular computer use (mainly browsing the Internet): I completely agree with what people said that the fonts are TOO SMALL in the 4K to the extent that they are unreadable. I have excellent eye sight (knock on wood) and I sit like 2-3 feet from the monitor, I can't read, period. So if you already own a 1080p (or 1440) monitor, DO NOT THROW IT AWAY, use it as an extended desktop monitor and open all regular windows over there. I use the 4K for viewing videos, photos and watching youtube. I have set Google Chrome to zoom its pages at +%200 so i can also watch youtube at 4K resolution (yes, apparently some youtube videos stream at 4K, never knew that!) But the catch is the Chrome tabs are SO FREAKING SMALL to read their titles! I can live with that, at least the pages content are easy to read like a regular 1080 monitor. All other Windows windows (like control panel, folder browsing, My Computer, other programs like MS Office, etc...) area dragged to be used in the 1080p monitor, then when I watch a movie or run a game, the computer will automatically use the 4K since it is the PRIMARY monitor. Even when viewing photos, it will open the photo viewer in the 4K. Basically speaking everything will open in the 4K by default, you only drag what you want to the 1080p and next time you open it, it will open there immediately.

D- Windows Scaling: I tried using the Windows scaling stuff (I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64x) but NO NO, because 1- You have lost lots of real estate space on the 4K monitor and 2- It will also scale on the 1080p which looked horrible. You can't tell Windows to scale on one monitor and forget the other. So if you have a secondary 1080 or 1440 monitor, don't use scaling and apply the techniques I described in point C above.

E- 60Hz refresh rate: My 1080p ASUS VG278H is a 120Hz monitors, many people told me you will regret going back to 60Hz. I had a theory before that I posted in a reply at one of the reviewers here in Amazon about this monitor, that the extra huge number of pixels is going to compensate me with the drop of the refresh rate. Let me tell you and it's up to you to believe me or not, YES IT DID. One simple test i did was to open a folder window, drag it to be split between the two monitors so now half of it is in the 4K @ 60Hz and the other is in the 1080p @ 120Hz, i started dragging the folder window up and down, it was smoother on the 4K! Whether you believe me or not it's up to you, but I am completely satisfied. Theoretically speaking, the 4K is almost the same physical size as the 1080 monitor (28" & 27" respectively) but packs double the amount of pixels at each axis, so when you move something across the 4K monitor, it is relatively moving slower than the 1080p thus compensates for the difference in Hz between them. Everything in the 4K monitor moves smoother (but slower area coverage for same mouse movement) than the 1080p.

F- Gaming general experience on two monitors: I won't waste time saying how games will look better on the 4K, YES THEY DO. When you game, Windows will use your 4K for the game, the other monitor will stay open on Windows desktop displaying whatever was being displayed, but your mouse pointer won't be able to go there anymore unless you exit the game. So if you are downloading a torrent or performing some activity, you can keep an "eye" on it while playing a game in the 4K monitor.

G- 4K Gaming horse power required and the 60Hz/fps limitation: As I mentioned in point E, I have not seen any difference that makes me regret gaming on 60Hz, it is not affecting the gaming experience at all and I have tested on both screens one at a time, in fact, it looks way better to game in the 4K. As for the horse power, let me tell you, 4K is not a walk-in-the-park for your computer, I have 2x SLI EVGA 780Ti Superclocked ACX cards, the twin were able to maintain a steady 60fps performance with less than AAA games or AAA games that are 2-3 years old like (Call of Duty Black Ops II, Counter Strike GO, Sim City), but on high end graphics demanding AAA games like (Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Black Flag) the fps averages around 45fps and i have seen it drop down to 15 when the screen gets too crowded for a second. By the way I'm talking here about full/ultra/super all-on in-game graphics settings. So to counter the low fps in these two games, I took an advice from one youtube review of this monitor which is to disable the AA in games because since you have higher PPI for the same surface area then AA is going to be smoother in games even if turned off, so I tried it and it wasn't that bad, this have increased my "worst" fps in those two games to 25 and the highest to 50fps. When any of those two games load first time, they stutter badly for the first minute or two while it is loading all the tiny graphic details like the vegetation and human faces, cars, ships (Assassin's Creed) all around your character, then the stuttering will be gone. So every time I run the game, I take my character for a 10 seconds walk around the city and drive one car till I see the stuttering has finished then enjoy a smooth game (until all hell breaks lose when 4 police cars are trying to ram my car that's when the game stutters a bit).

FINAL THOUGHTS

Do I regret spending $650 on this 4K? No. Games look superbly better, the 60Hz thing is NOT affecting gaming experience at all, period. But you MUST keep in mind you seriously need HUGE horsepower to play AAA games at full specs (minus the Anti Aliasing), otherwise if you have one 780Ti card or a lower 2-Way SLI GPUs, most likely you will need to lower game specification to get a playable game above 40-45fps. I "assume" if you have NVIDIA Titan it should be able to handle the 4K easily due to its 6Gb on board video memory, but that's a @2000+ card. Our personal photos are looking much better on the 4K, so sharp and beautiful and no longer we have to zoom in and out since almost each photo fits in the 4K frame without zooming, so you are viewing at original size on 4K, WOW. Even my wife who doesn't really care about gadgets and computers noticed that photos are much better on this 4K monitor. My only beef with this monitor that there is a tiny small grey-ish mouse-pointer-size (remember mouse pointer is twice as small in the 4K as it's in the 1080/1440) grey pixels that seem to be generating from way behind the monitor's front surface, as if it was a 3D effect, but since it is tucked at the bottom left corner (just above the Windows Start button) and when I game i never see it, I decided against sending the monitor back for replacement. I only see this tiny grey area when i have a plain white page like browsing the Internet.

If you are thinking about this monitor, go get it, you won't regret it.

EDIT 21/8/2014: Added more information, spelling and typo corrections and general formatting.

EDIT 24/8/2014: I found a proper solution for tackling the very small font of the 4K when using the monitor for regular daily use (Above point #C in reviewing the monitor use). Due to the small fonts produced by the 4K, reading Chrome tabs and the URL bar was really too difficult to handle although i set the pages themselves to zoom %200 by default as mentioned above, however many windows were being opened in the 4K monitor since it was set as my primary monitor and I found my self more and more using the 1080 screen and wasting time dragging windows to it. So since I have changed all the resolution setup inside my games to play at 4K, I did a test and found that it really did NOT matter if the Windows 7 Desktop resolution was set to 1080p on the 4K monitor as the game will STILL launch at 4K res (3840 x 2160), so now my 4K screen is locked at 1080 res on Windows Desktop and I'm using it now properly, no more dragging windows so i can read! Another advantage now I can use those two-screens themed wallpapers which looks cool since the resolution match on both monitors! I have also put all icons on the 1080p monitor and kept the 4K desktop surface clean with only the taskbar in it! Hope this update helps.
2020 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
I think that the PB278Q is the best value WQHD monitor that you'll find that's currently available as of 10/8/12. I got mine from another Online Retailer because they offered a pre-order bonus, but the price was the same overall. Most manufactures are now putting out WQHD monitors, but prices are still very high. As the market becomes more saturated with different manufactures making WQHD Monitors you'll see prices go down, but don't expect this for at least 2 years. The PB278Q uses a PLS based panel which when compared to other IPS based panels it has higher contrast, improved viewing angles, a faster response time, exhibits less reflectiveness, produces a clearer and crisper image, is 10% brighter than competing technologies; all while maintaing lower power consumption levels.

Originally there were to be two variants of this monitor. One for Content Professionals (the PA - ProArt Series) that would come factory calibrated and have some additional "Quick Fit" settings. The other (the VA Series) that would virtually be the same thing but without factory calibration and the added Quick Fit settings. Eventually Asus decided to just Market the Monitor as the PB278Q with the QuickFit settings, but without the added factory calibration. The matte finish is great, not overbearing like the finish you'll find with other displays on the market. My past WQHD monitors were all Glossy which can be very nice, but the glossy finish allowed for a lot of reflections on screen which contributed to greater eye strain. Depending on your viewing environment you'll notice considerably less eye strain after prolonged sessions with this monitor if you're accustomed to a glossy panel.

I won't get heavily into the 2560x1440 vs 120Hz gaming debate, but I've been working with WQHD Monitors for the past few years and also game using them. I'm not a huge fan of 3D gaming and don't care about High Framerates as much as I do about crisp and clear picture quality with awesome viewing angels. That said, a good 120Hz monitor (or more than one in a multi monitor setup) is an amazing thing and you will notice a difference with how smooth your games will play if you have the power to push up to 120FPS on nice a 120Hz monitor setup. Overall I'd pick the screen real-estate that you get from an WQHD monitor as well as the overall better multipurpose use factor. When I say multipurpose I mean that a 27" 2560x1440 Monitor is a much better match for those looking to game, create content, and consume content and multitask on one monitor.

I watch a lot of digital media (a large portion of that being Anime) and I don't always want to be in a seat close to my monitor when viewing my digital media; it's just not comfortable all the time. The viewing angles on the PB278Q are great and allow me to watch from different areas in my room without suffering a loss of color/contrast (tonal shift) that other early IPS monitors or TN based panels would when viewed from non standard viewing angles. I have noticed no shift in color or contrast with the PB278Q. If you are looking for a monitor dedicated to gaming and you're a serious gamer, then there are better TN based panels that will provide a better overall gaming experience. I play mainly RTS and RPG games, but do enjoy a good FPS games just like most gamers do. If you are a twitch FPS gamer look into the reviews that Anandtech or TFTCentral will eventaully publish to see if the actual input lag and real black-white-black response times are acceptable for you, most likely though you will be better off buying TN based monitor that will give you much faster response times and lower input lag.

***Overall:
For a multipurpose monitor that isn't dedicated to competitive/professional FPS gaming you'll absolutely LOVE this monitor. For Media junkies that love their HD content, Anime or just editing video and photos as a hobby you'll get great use out of the expansive screen real-estate. Watching bluray content, or 10bit Anime encodes is a dream on this monitor. If you have any content that goes above 1080p it will look stunning on this display. Until they produce a good 2560x1440 monitor that is capable and advertised as being 120Hz out of the box, I'll continue to game on the standard 60Hz at 2560x1440 resolution. (sure you can overclock some monitors to get a higher refresh rate or even get a Korean Catleap WQHD monitor that is advertised as 120Hz capable (depending on what video card you use) and Pixel Perfect (which still doesn't mean your getting no dead/hot/stuck pixels), but there are drawbacks to going that route: poor stand quality, lack of valid warrant and/or support, potential for quality issues, dead pixels, cheap external power supply, etc.

**Pros:
- Height, Swivel, Tilt and Pivot adjustments. You also get minimal cable management.
- Every Cable you need comes with the Display. Dual Link DVI-D, VGA (D-Sub), HDMI 1.4, Disaply Port 1.2, and a 3.5mm Audio cable.
- The matte finish is wonderful on this display, not too much not too little. Images still look crisp and colors still look vibrant.
- Extremely easy to assemble, just screw the stand (which is already mounted to the display) into the monitor base and you're done.
- A wide variety of configuration options, presets, and adjustments which will let you calibrate the display if you know how or what to find out how.
- Minimal backlight bleeding on mine (This really depends on the individual monitor you get, but Initial reports are showing that backlight bleed is minimal overall with the PB278Q).
- Minimal ghosting in fast paced games and/or video content. If this worries you then go for a 120Hz monitor.
- Has a down facing Blue Power Button LED that you can turn off via the OSD, so that you don't have to light up your room. Very nice!
- Insane Viewing angles, like most IPS based monitors, but slightly better overall than others on the market. I can't see color shift at all at extreme angles.
- MarshallR@ASUS an Asus Marketing guru has confirmed that the PB287Q does in fact have a true 8Bit panel. Great news :)
- No noticeable input lag.

**Cons:
- No USB Hub. Would have been nice, but not really necessary. When it was the VA278Q it was advertised as having a 4 port USB 2.0 Hub.
- Ships in it's own box (not shipped in an additional shipping box), for most people this won't be an issue. A lot of monitors ship this way anyway.
- Not factory calibrated (again, not a problem for most people especially since those with the tools and know how prefer to do it themselves)
- The manual reports that it is an "6-Bit Hi-FRC" based panel which they need to fix to resolve some initial confusion. It is in fact reported to be a true 8-Bit panel.
- It isn't as aesthetically pleasing as some of the WQHD monitors, which doesn't change it's functionality, but the Samsung S27B970D is the sexiest monitor ever created!

**Alternative WQHD Monitors:

It's not as pretty as the Samsung SB970 S27B970D 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor, but the PB278Q is almost half the price. Sure if you get the PB278Q you are missing some functionality like a USB Hub, and factory calibration, but I don't think it's worth the extra $500 that you would pay as of 10/8/12. TFTCentral has a great review up for the Samsung S27B970D, google it if you're interested. Some people are reporting that there are some issues with quality control for the Panel itself for the S27B970D.

There is another WQHD Monitor that costs even less which is the Nixeus WQHD 27" S-IPS Ultra High Resolution 2560x1440 PC/MAC Monitor NX-VUE27. It uses an S-IPS panel and thus offers an improved pixel refresh timing when compared to earlier IPS technologies, but has lower contrast and poorer color reproduction than newer iterations of IPS panels based technologies like P-IPS, E-IPS, H-IPS, or AH-IPS. You could always go with one of the Korean WQHD Monitors like the Catleap for even less money, but you run the risk of having more than a few bad pixels because they use A- grade panels in their Monitors. You also get no Warranty support depending on who you purchase from, while only having a single DVI input on most of the Korean monitors you'll find.
2121 comments| 306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2013
In reading these reviews, they range from "OMG AWESOME!!!!" to "I've just sent back my 4th one...". I don't know the ratio of great ones vs ones people have to send back but mine is great. Luckily for us, Amazon's return policy is great so if you get a lemon, it's not too big a deal to send it back and get a good one. I know that's not something some should be having to do, but it's worth it to keep trying till you get a good one.

Pros:
-------
- Very clear, crisp, detailed, sharp, vivid picture
- I've tried low rez 120hz, I've tried triple screen, I'm back to this 2560x1440 at .233 dot pitch. This is the best to me. For gaming, for reading text, it's all awesome.
- After having tried 120hz and even triple screens at low 1080 rez (1920x1080 and 5760x1080), switching back to high rez, BF3 is amazingly clear and detailed again. Not just the high rez, but the .233mm dot pitch is stunningly sharp to game on. I'm convinced high rez is the best way to go. Not 120hz, not triple screen.
- The matte coating isn't aggressive or harsh
- Stand does all the motions you'd want and is easy to put together

Cons:
-------
- Mine appears to be fine, no dead pixels, no backlight issues, no smudges behind the coating, so the panel itself is great, however the BACK portion of the plastic bezel that surrounds the screen appears to have nicks ands scratches on it. Very minor quality control thing but it affects me none, affects the experience none. Not too worried about it.

UPDATE: 03/23/2013. Oh ;) I just found out about this was, the Con that I was talking about. It wasn't a bunch of scratches on the back part of the bezel. It was actually a thin film of plastic that's supposed to be pealed off when I unboxed it. My mistake. The monitor is perfect.

Note: In the monitor settings. Be sure to set some custom settings:
- They say to put brightness to 37, however that was too dark for me. I like 55
- Contrast to 80
- Splendid mode : User
- Set your RGB gains to:
R to 47
G to 49
B to 45
- Set Trace to 40

Summary Update: 03/23/2013. So been using the monitor for a few days and couldn't be happier. No dead pixels, no backlight problems, stunning clarity. Great monitor. If you order this and happen to get one with a problem. Don't get discouraged. I know that sucks, but return it through Amazon and get another one again. It will be worth it. This is a great, detailed monitor with a vivid beautiful picture. Played lots of BF3 as well and there's no ghosting/input lag issues at all.

Another Update: 08/10/2013. The moniter has been awesome except it began to have an electrical problem. It started randomly cycling through it's graphic modes. User, sRGB, Theater, Scenery, etc. Rabidly cycling through modes and I couldn't do anything to stop it. Menu buttons wouldn't respond so couldn't reset it. Left it unplugged for awhile but that didn't help. I had it too long to return to Amazon, so I went through Asus's RMA process and that's why I wanted to give an update and give them props.....

Asus paid for shipping to/from and replaced a board inside the monitor in about a week or less. When they shipped it back, it was nicely packed well in packing bubble insulation and it works perfectly again. Asus is a great brand, and their support is great as well. This monitor is awesome.
44 comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2012
Pro:

Display: Stunning graphics, excellent color reproduction out of the box, no defective pixel, fast response time for gaming compared to similar monitors in this price range. As always, if you have a professional tool to calibrate the display, it will be even better. However, this display has excellent color reproduction/accuracy out of the box that you don't really have to have a calibrator to enjoy it. For those who don't have a calibrator, I recommend you to adjust the brightness down a little bit since it came with 100% brightness out of the box. The antiglare coating on this display is very light (hence they call this monitor semi glossy) and thus when compared to the heavy coated anti glare monitor like the old Dell U2711/3011 series, it looks much better. Also when compared to the full glossy panel such as Apple Thunderbolt, this monitor has no glares at all, which is extremely good for people who hate glares, especially when you are a professional graphics designer and you sit in front of the monitor all day long.

PLS Glow vs Backlight Bleeding: Beware that this display is a PLS display (which is the Samsung equivalent of IPS from LG) and thus do not confuse PLS glow with back light bleeding. These 2 are completely different. This monitor has no backlight bleeding though this may be different depending where you order the monitor since shipping damage can also affect the amount of back light bleeding as well. How to distinguish PLS glow vs back light bleeding? IF you see a slightly brighter area on a supposedly black screen, and when you move around (ie you move left or right while looking at the same area on the monitor) and the bright area starts to disappear, then that is known as PLS glow. Back light bleeding means that the bright area on a black screen does not change no matter from what angle you look at and no matter where you move.

Cables: Monitor comes with HDMI 1.4a cable (need a modern video card ie Nvidia GTX 600 or AMD HD 7000 series to display 2560-1440 resolution via HDMI, otherwise, you need to use the included DVI cable or Display port cable to get full resolution), DL-DVI cable, Display port 1.2 cable are also included. This is actually one of the few monitors that came with all the cables out of the box.

Stand: Stand is very sturdy, fully adjustable in height. The bottom of the stand has a rotation device that allows you to rotate the display horizontally (this may be a con to some of you who wants to rotate the display only, not the whole stand)

Gaming: Very fast response time, no lag ghosting at all. You need to go to the OSD menu and adjust the Trace free to 40 or 20 for a completely lag-ghost free gaming. Compared to the more expensive Apple Thunderbolt or Dell U2713HM/2711, this display actually has less ghosting effects to the point where its incredibly hard to notice. TFTcentral also confirms this as they compared ghosting of this display vs various other displays on the market.

Bundle bonus: come with a free Vulcan headset which is about 100 bucks. Thank you Asus.

Pricing: extremely competitive pricing, cheaper than all of the competitors out there by a large amount while retaining good quality in both forms (external designs/stands) and function (excellent graphics/color reproduction/accuracy)

Cons:
PWM backlight, which may or may not be noticeable. I did not notice any difference between this monitor (which has PWM backlight) vs the Dell U2713HM (which doesn't utilize PWM backlight). If you don't know what this is, you won't see the difference since it is very minimal.

Connectivity: While this display has HDMI 1.4a which supports 2560-1440 resolution, DVI and Display port connector, but it lacks USB connectors. I don't think this is a big problem since most people who uses this monitor already has a computer that has USB 3.0 ports available. Having too many connectors will actually increase cost and introduces more input lag. Unless you are one of those who absolutely needs USB connector on a monitor itself, then you won't even notice this lack of USB connection at all.

Pixel Perfect Guarantee: While this is not really a con since Asus does offer 3 years warranty on the product with a 1 year bright dot warranty with Advance Replacement (They will replace the monitor for you and cross ship the monitor for free if there is 1 bright pixel during the warranty period). However, comparing to the Dell Pixel guarantee which Dell will replace you with another monitor if there is 1 defect pixel during the 3 years warranty period, I find that the Asus pixel warranty needs to step up a bit more.

Summary:
Extremely good quality monitor, excellent out of the box color reproduction/accuracy. Much better build quality than the Korean catleaps (as expected).
Notes: If you use HDMI connector, make sure you use the included HDMI cable in the box since only HDMI 1.4a cable can deliver 2560-1440 resolution. Also, your video card MUST have HDMI 1.4a output as well (currently only Nvidia GTX 600 series or AMD HD 7000 series have HDMI 1.4a output to drive this 2560-1440 resolution). Some people who have older video card and they blame the monitor for not being able to display 2560 resolution using HDMI connector as a result. This makes them look incredibly stupid because its not the monitor fault.

Considering price per performance/quality, as a professional graphics designer, I totally recommend this monitor for anyone who is serious about picture quality/color accuracy as well as durability without breaking the bank. I currently own 4 different monitors (3 at work and 1 at home) including Apple Thunderbolt Display, Dell U2713HM, Samsung Series 9 S27B970D and this Asus PB278Q. Out of the 4 monitors, the Asus is the one that I like the most due to the balance between glare(from glossy display like Apple and Samsung S27B970D) and picture quality as well as gaming. This Asus PB278Q is the cheapest of the 4 (400 bucks cheaper than the Samsung/Apple display) while it has equivalent picture quality as the other 3 which is incredible.
77 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2014
This monitor is absolutely amazing for the price. I was initially very disappointed because my mouse seemed to have a delay as it moved across the screen despite the fact that I have a very powerful computer. This was because even if you're using a DisplayPort connection, the monitor is set to use DP v1.1 by default. As you may know DP v1.1 only allows for a 30Hz refresh rate. If you have a video card capable of utilizing DP v1.2 you will need to make sure the monitor is set to use DP v1.2 in order to utilize the full 60Hz refresh rate. Once properly set everything feels extremely smooth and there is no delay.

Monitor Settings:
Menu -> System Setup -> DisplayPort Stream -> DP 1.2

Computer Settings (Windows 8.1):
Right Click on Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> List All Modes -> "3840 by 2160, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz"
on April 1, 2015
i am on my 3rd of these monitors, monitor roulette. 1st one, pretty bad bleeding, especially in the lower left. i returned it on amazon, got a new one, slightly worse on the replacement. what is odd, is if you very gently touch the lower left and upper right corners, the bleeding is reduced dramatically. almost like the screen isnt secured well enough. seems to be fine on the lower right and upper left, which makes no sense.

anyways heres a pic, do see. it mostly is ok if you have a light on in your room, but trying to play a game with dark scenes or a movie, it is very noticeable, which is after adjusting the monitor settings (like brightness at 20/30 %) and enabling tracefree at around 60 which is supposed to be the ideal setting for this monitor.

hope this helps someone buying this monitor, from the reviews i have read some people get no bleeding (but with standard ips glow), which others have some crazy bleeding like mine. guess it really is a lottery buying these kinds of monitors, which is a shame because it really is a nice one.
on June 20, 2014
I want to start by saying "Pixels aren't everything!". Also, I would give the monitor a 3.5 - its better than a 3 but not good enough for a 4.

More pixels does NOT always translate to a better monitor or even a sharper image. That being said, this is a good monitor. Its not perfect - not by a long means. I would have considered a IPS PB278Q a perfect monitor IF that came in 4k at this price (maybe someday in the future).

I currently own both the 287 4k and the 278 monitors. My new dual monitor setup actually has 1 of each and here's why.

1) Colors are MUCH better on the 278. I have displayed the same picture on both the screens adjusted to the screen's native resolution. I currently have the monitors setup side by side and asked 3 random people for their opinion. The difference becomes even more apparent when looking at websites on both monitors.

2) Text is sharper on the 287, though the 278 maintains a pretty good level of sharpness when compared to the 4k 287 monitor! The 287 is still better but not my a huge margin as I would have been expected. Its not day and night like when moving from 1080p to Apple's Retina Display. This is because of a couple reasons, but primarily because the contrast in colors between the background and the font is better on the IPS panel - since colors are truer.

3) Sometimes, pixels are needed. More pixels allows you to put more 'things' on screen without having to zoom out of applications to reduce size.

4) There is significant horizontal and vertical color washing on the PB287. I initially wanted to use the monitor in portrait mode but I cannot - the color shift is pretty bad. Its not so visible on whites and blacks but when you put up a uniform yellow screen there is quite a bit of color shift.

5) There is slightly more eye strain when using the 287. I think this is because the way the monitor handles white - white looks much better on the 278. So hours of web surfing or Word/Excel use, would be easier with the 278.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't be able to choose between the 278 vs 287. They are both very good monitors - it depends on your use. If pixels are everything, than go for the 287 - but, if you care for a vivid, strain free experience - the 278 is the better monitor. I have one of each and will keep it this way until I can get a 4k IPS panel.

And, as for the Samsung 28inch 4k, I wouldn't consider it when being compared to the 287. The 287 is hands down a better monitor. Its better with color and with features (VESA support, tilt, etc).

Hope this helps.

I have both my monitors hooked up to a late 2013 MacBook Pro.

Edit:
After using both monitors for a couple weeks I find myself surfing websites and watching video on the 278 and using the 287 while coding (black background with colored text). Coder's would appreciate the pixels but for general use stick with an IPS display. I don't play games on my computer, so I can't attest to that use.
2020 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse