Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on November 3, 2011
I needed to take pictures of a few souvenirs so I bought a tent and two sets of these lights. Each light came in several plain white boxes and had to be assembled. There were no instructions but they were not really needed - the assembly was easy. The disassembly for storage and transportation is just as easy. There were four components for each unit - a stand (with a black carrying case), lamp socket with cord, reflector and bulb. The bulbs must be handled carefully. When screwing them in, it is important to rotate them by the base and not the white glass beams, which could easily be cracked or broken. I wanted to buy inexpensive gear for occasional shoots. Perhaps not heavy duty enough for every day professional use and abuse, these lights are sturdy and of decent quality, much better than I expected for the money I paid. The pictures came out great. I am very pleased with this purchase.
on September 12, 2012
I bought these lights to use with a 30 inch tabletop photo tent. They arrived packaged very well and stands seem to be high quality. They are adjustable to almost 3 times the height. Just be careful if you are raising them up to their highest height because the base is a little narrow, I tipped one over and broke the CFL. The bulbs that came with the stands are quite bright. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase.
on August 29, 2012
I can't even tell why there is a bad review here for this product. It's amazing! It doesn't fall, the lamps came assembled, so there was no way to break them, they do look very sturdy and well made. They create a PERFECT little studio and give amazingly bright white light. They can be either very short or rather tall. And the price is amazing! Very good quality, I couldn't be happier!
on January 17, 2014
The lights I received are very well made and look very professional. Lets start with the stands, the stands are very sturdy and extend enough to be used in many occasions besides tabletop, plus my set came with an extra head attachment that screws into one of the legs so you can mount the head two inches from the ground. My boxer (dog) bumped into one while playing and it move quite a bit but never fell over as long as you have the legs "fully extended" properly they are very sturdy. The lights so far are bright and do not flicker at all. The head is solid and deep enough not to spill light everywhere so you have better control. Make sure you remove the plastic or rubber "protector" at the top of the stands before you mount the head ,many people do not realize this and mount the head without removing it so will wobble if its not removed and put it back when transporting or not in use. The price cant be beat so if your going to buy these light you wont be disappointed.
on November 19, 2012
These lamps were purchased to replace a pair of old tungsten lamps our company's lab was using in its photography section. The lamps arrived promptly, and were easy to install. However, one of the lamps had a faulty on-off switch which not only meant the light wouldn't stay on if you bumped it, but it also could prove a safety risk. I immediately called the company I purchased them through and I received excellent customer service! They gave me a few simple procedures to follow (testing the light bulb to make sure it wasn't faulty, etc.) and then sent us a replacement light. Both lights work excellently now and are an improvement on the old lights as they have a nice clear white light, and do not overheat. They are good for the price, and I for one can report having a positive customer service experience. Will purchase from this company again in future.
on August 4, 2013
I bought these lights to use with my new photo tent, for photographing jewelry. The lights are great - bulbs are very bright, reflectors deep enough to protect bulbs and direct light very well, stand height is very easy to adjust. I love the long cords, and the on/off button inline, up close to the light itself, makes it easy to turn them on and off. Not a great deal of heat. Ball tilt control is easy to adjust. Everything was well packed, the bulbs were well protected and arrived safely. Wishing now I had bought a third for overhead - may do so yet.
on May 13, 2014
The item arrived promptly and far before the Amazon delivery estimate. It was as described. The light bulbs were shipped separately and I had to mount them into their sockets.

I had one trouble: upon firing up one of the lights the light bulb flickered for a second and went off. Its electronics part in the base smelled like burned cables. I suspect that the bulb was defective - none of this was the seller's fault. Nonetheless, when I contacted the seller they replied within hours saying that they were sorry that I had experienced problems with my bulb and promising to ship a new replacement bulb. Which they did within a day... and I received the replacement within a couple more days. I was up and running - back in business again.

We've been using the photo lights for a few days now and so far so good. I am not a professional photographer and I don't know if these lights are one of the better choices for good in-door product photography but I can tell you that they are exactly as depicted in the product photos here on Amazon and the description matches. I think for the price they will do a good job.

Finally, my review is not mainly about the product itself (which I like so far) but about the seller. I have been very pleased with the seller based on my first experience and interactions with them!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
While the lights themselves seem to be very bright, the entire rig is really substandard. The stands are a little flimsy, but the real drawback here is that the lights as delivered do not resemble the photograph. The reflectors are extremely deep, probably at least 1 foot. They slide over the plastic holder for the bulb around a shaft. This is a friction fit and did not seem to be particularly sturdy. The reflectors wobbled quite a bit with no way to really "secure" them in place. Just the quasi-friction fit. The bulbs are not the "curly Q" type but instead have very long U shaped tubes about 8-10 inches long. Aside from the fact that one of the bulbs was broken upon arrival, it is next to impossible to actually screw the bulbs in with the reflectors in place without handling the glass tubes on the bulb - definitely a big no-no. I have big hands, so it was very difficult for me, but I did manage to get the surviving bulb screwed in. Yes, it is very bright. But unless you plan to leave these assembled in a dedicated spot, I do not see the bulbs surviving multiple installations and removals. I would not recommend this set up.
11 comment6 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
This little kit is quite the thing for small scale photography. Assembly was very simple, and I thought the price was extremely fair if not very generous for what you receive. I enjoy the small bags for the stands, and decided to keep the cardboard boxes for the lamp housing. The folding stands are a bit tricky to open and close, and be careful not to get your fingers crushed in them when opening and closing them. They can be difficult to slide, do so gently when operating. The lights provided are very bright, @ 5500K. I would advise people to hand tighten (aka don't over tighten) the connections to avoid stripping or damaging any connections. These are stationary, absolutely no need to go all crazy when tightening things really hard, use just enough pressure to keep things from moving. I plan on using this kit for shooting various objects and art inside of a light tent (I was super tired of using clip lamps attached to chairs). I highly recommend this kit for home use, but don't expect it for SUPER pro lighting situations. I imagine you might be able to use this for portraiture lighting, but certainly for shooting in a light tent.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2012
At first I was disappointed with this set because one of the bulbs wouldn't light up. Some trial and error revealed that the reflector was tight around the base of the bulb and prevented it from screwing in enough to make contact. Since I was ready to return the set to Amazon anyway, I decided to really horse it down (i.e. screw it in with a LOT of pressure) - the result was that it now works very well indeed. Very bright lights - lit up the sides of the tent quite well.

As an extra (unspecified) bonus, you get a stubby post with each stand which will attach to one (1) of the three tripod legs. I sent in some pictures of the stands which show this "bonus" feature. Even though I had to fuss with things a bit to get it all "right", the bonus kicks the rating from a nominal 4 right back up to 5 stars. Well done!
review image review image review image review image