PBL Photo Studio 40in Reflective Umbrella Softboxes Set of Two Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting
|Price:||$33.95 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details|
|You Save:||$11.00 (24%)|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Two (2) PBL 40in Softbox Reflective Umbrellas
- Very soft, even lighting. Interior is made of silver reflective material. Light is reflected back through white diffusion material that creates very soft light
- Sets up just like an umbrella in seconds
- No need to worry about losing parts, one piece unit. Large opening with elastic and zipper that allows this umbrella softbox to fit onto any strobe flash
- NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH CONTINUOUS LIGHTS,STROBES ONLY
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Item Dimensions||4 x 4 x 33 inches|
|Shipping Weight||1.85 pounds|
Top Customer Reviews
These are better than Umbrellas for a few reasons:
- The light has less Chiaroscuro. First, I didn't know what this word meant until I read the description in the (remarkable) Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites. Second, it's "better" if you are looking for a softer, more directional light whose shadows have more gradual transitions between light and dark.
- The light is brighter. A lot brighter, maybe as much as 2 stops. With an umbrella you have a lot of light spilling out the back or going off the sides. Thanks to the internal reflective coating it has no place to go but where you are point it.
- They (remember, you get two) come with nylon storage bags. The inexpensive umbrellas I've seen come with clear plastic storage tubes.
They are less good because:
- You don't have the option of moving it close to your subject. The light is mounted at even with the diffuser and then you have about 12" of umbrella shaft sticking out beyond that. And you can forget about putting this on a boom all together. (This is an area where a "real" softbox would be better as well.)
- It traps heat. Since the light source is running inside a mostly enclosed area it can get a bit warm. It's certainly no problem with flashes or CFLs. However, if you're using incandescent lighting I would be careful about running things for too long.
Build and strength wise, it is worth noting the interior stretchers and ribbings don't have much strength to them. It'd be no trouble at all to break them or at least compromise their integrity - if your light stand takes a tumble, don't be surprised if the umbrella takes a bit of damage. I don't plan on roughing up my equipment and I make sure to weight my stands, but just a forewarning to those looking for durability (you get what you pay for).
Despite this, I'm still giving the product 5 stars, as the value versus price paid is unbeatable. The seller shipped fast too (it probably helps I live in the same town though) and buying through Amazon was a breeze as always.
For those curious about how pragmatic this setup would be for them, the light source size is equivalent to a small studio softbox (24x32), making it good for mid length portraits, close-ups, and most still lives. You'll get small, oblong circles for catch lights, as the shape of an umbrella would suggest.Read more ›
units and they fit fine.
These units offer excellent lighting control at a fraction of the cost of an Octabox or Softlighters...
They arrive today and I was impressed with how easy they were to set up and the soft light it gave off. I do feel however that I will cut 6 inches or more from the stem on the umbrella as it is too long and will prevent me from moving it very close to my subject. Other than that I will buy this item again if need be.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
good light for the price, the spoke is dangerous though... I was careful so nothing happened but almost did a few times
used them for while, then upgraded to ones without a... Read more
Once I started using these for location shoots, I'll never stop. I absolutely love the results with my speedlite.Published 6 months ago by Turtle
These weren't really what I though they were. They were for my husband.Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer
I LOVE these umbrella softboxes!! I use them both professionally and personally. As far as an umbrella goes, they are sturdier than most traditional umbrellas, especially in this... Read morePublished 6 months ago by UBS
For the price it works well, I use it with speed lights and it's very light and it gives a nice soft light. The trick is not to put it too close to your subject. Read morePublished 11 months ago by ruben