Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on July 9, 2012
After looking at many overpriced Sandbag options, I decided to purchase the PBL Saddlebag Sandbags. I needed sandbags for lighting stands and tripods, and also to help support a new 24' ladder. The PBL sandbags exceeded my expectations, but you need to know a few things to get the most out of this economical purchase.

First, the sandbags come with both "handles" on the same side. Why? Who knows... However, BEFORE inserting sand, you MUST flip the handles to either side of the bag by manipulating the handles and bag. It's not exactly turning them inside out, but similar. Very hard to describe solely with words, but if you look at my pictures you'll see how I maneuvered the handles to either side of the sandbags.

Second, I would highly suggest buying a package of Ziploc DOUBLE-zip freezer bags in the Gallon size, as well as Play Sand from your local hardware store (Home Depot sells a big bag for under $4 bucks). Why? Inserting the Ziploc's inside the Sandbags prevents leakage. Use the Playsand to prevent sharp objects, rocks, sticks and other debris from beach sand from puncturing the Ziploc's and sandbags, thus creating leakage. Fill the Ziploc's with sand - about three quarters full - and then insert them into the inside pocket. Getting double-zip locks adds another layer of security for preventing leakage. I know how much you like the word leakage, and want me to continue using it in this review, but I'll stop. Promise.

Now your PBL's are ready to rock.

The bags perform quite well and I LOVE the Yellow Striping on the bags to prevent (Ha! you thought I was going to say leakage here, didn't you...) individuals from tripping of the legs of the stand. The added visual element without a doubt helps identify the stand, especially in low-lighting situations. A great idea that bags costing triple the price don't have. They shipped quickly and all four bags, as promised, came in the same package.
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
The bags are well built except for the zippers. To describe the zippers as crap would be polite. But having said that, I would easily buy them fact, I might buy a few more. Here is what you do...put your sand in gallon size zip lock baggies and then place the filled baggies into the sand 'em up and forget ever touching the zipper again. Works like a charm. I bought a sixty pound bag of "play sand" at Home Depot. It was exactly the right amount of sand to fill all 4 sand bags.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2011
I ordered two set of these (8 bags total). I had one bad zipper on 4 of the bags. Luckily it all seemed to be the inner zipper (which is actually a nice feature of these) that failed. And I've had one of the bags with a very small hole in the seam on the outside edge where the yellow stripe comes in.
Other than the quality control issues I like the bags. They've been holding up well. The yellow stripes are great in dark studio situations and help to keep people from tripping over light stands. If you ever need to be a stealth photo ninja then you easily flip the bag the other direction and get the traditional all black and there is a handle (grab loop) on both sides so it doesn't matter if you go black or yellow. It's nice to have the option.

I'm sure these aren't the best bags out there but for the price they're pretty good. Overall I'm pleased with them.
on July 12, 2011
I'm convinced that you can't find a much better deal on sandbags than these. They're heavy duty, lined, double zippered and have a tough handle on the top. They're perfect for draping over a lightstand (as shown) or clipping onto a boom. I got the 4 pack and made 2 heavy bags and 2 medium bags so I have options in the field.

Great value, quality, and versatility.
on November 9, 2011
Best value in sandbags for photo equipment. Zippers are a little weak, but I only plan to open them once to fill with sand. To keep sand from leaking out I used 1 gallon ziplock bags inside the zip compartments. great for stabilizing backdrop stands and light stands.
on October 28, 2013
Standard two compartment sand bags built very sturdy...even double zipper closure. I usually fill sand in plastic gallon zip-top bags before putting them in the compartments just as an extra measure to prevent sand leakage. Would give them a higher rating but they are not yellow...they are blue, the whole reason for yellow is for safety or warning.
on December 15, 2011
I bought these bags for video production, and they work just as well as the expensive ones. I use them on several light-stands, mic stands, and just about anything else that needs stabilizing. I have 8 bags and haven't had a single problem with any of them. Highly recommended.
on July 11, 2012
The overall quality is good for the price. Yet, some sand does leak out through the seems of the various sewn sides. I expected a "double bag" system with the double zippers, but in reality it is a single "bag" with two zippers overlapping each other. The stripes are different fabrics sewn together and it is through these sewing lines that sand leaks. I plan to only use them outdoors, but the little leaking sand limits utility. An inner thick plastic bag with one zipper and then the outer fabric with another zipper would solve this issue.
on May 27, 2014
This is my first set of sand bags so I didn't really know what to expect. Overall, the bags seem to be made pretty well, except for the zippers. Three of the four bags I received had some kind of zipper issue.

#1 - They had sewn through the circle at the end of the zipper pull and it was attached to the bag. I had to cut through the circle on the zipper pull to get it undone because I was afraid that cutting the thread would loosen the zipper itself.

#2 - One side of the zipper was out of the pull, so it would not zip up.

#3 - One zipper was totally missing the pull and it was zipped shut so I had to forcefully get it undone to get the sand in.

Despite these issues with the zippers I am still happy with the bags. I used the recommended approach of filling up zip lock bags with sand and placing them in the bags so I am not overly concerned with the sand coming out due to zipper issues. Since the bags have dual zippers, and only one of the dual zippers broke in my case, I was still able to zip up the compartments after placing the bags of sand inside.

The outside shell of the bags seems pretty sturdy and I am not worried about them ripping with use. If it had just been one zipper I would have chalked it up to a fluke, but since 3 zippers were bad these only get 3 stars.
on January 22, 2012
Stop Searching and buy this item , construction is amazing , someone told me to put 1 gallon Ziploc bag inside to make sure the will last forever i think is a good idea, now i have to go Malibu to get some Sand ;-)