Customer Discussions > Super Mario 3D Land forum

PETA boycotting SM3DL?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2011 9:06:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 4:44:03 PM PST
Peta is boycotting the game, claiming that Mario is torturing the Tanooki's (real, awesome animals) by using their fur coats. Really? First of all, Mario is a fictional video game character. No harm done in that, right. OH NOE PEOPLEZ GONNA GET INFLUNCEDZ TO KEEL THA TANUUKIIES. Yeah, right. Who's gonna actually go out in the wilderness, cut one of these precious animals up, and use it, thinking they can fly and turn to stone. Nice try. I have no problem with treating animals well, but this is pushing it. There are plenty of other games with more realistic graphics where people actually are shown abusing animals. Set your priorities straight, PETA.

UPDATE (11/16): PETA has claimed that attacking the Mario game itself was a joke. Apparently, they were trying to draw attention to the real life issue of raccoon dog skinning. You wanted attention? You got it. The whole internet is talking about it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 9:19:43 PM PST
Tim Lai says:
I think this is just an attention gimmick. They're just trying to make headlines.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 5:36:26 AM PST
DryvBy says:
PETA kills more animals than any other organization to protect animals. They're a fraud company. Google "PETA kills animals" and you'll see several examples.

They also attacked BF3 recently since you stab a rat that gets in your way during a tunnel scene. But didn't care so much that humans died in the game...

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:45:34 PM PST
JJ350 says:
Lol @ how often PETA seems to be playing first person shooters.

What's next, are they going to play Barbies Pony Adventures and claim that it endorses the exploitation and torture of horses?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:16:54 PM PST
S. Rhodes says:
PETA seemed to miss the part where Mario's Tanooki suit here is bestowed upon by A LEAF!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 2:22:51 PM PST
M. Henzel says:
Yes, but to be fair, some of those animals are rescued in very poor health, and there is no way they are going to find homes for all rescues.. Just no way, but yeah they should be putting more money into finding homes for these rescues and spending less on drawing video game mascots covered in blood.

Anyway, it's a Tanooki suit. Not a FUR! Mario doesn't wear fur....although... "Pimp Daddy Mario" might just work.. :P

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:44:02 PM PST
B. Hoover says:
Don't forget the origins of the Tanooki from Japanese mythology. PETA is not only stupid, but culturally ignorant.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 9:58:29 AM PST
Quote from a Huffington Post article on the subject
"The game, which is replete with classic 80s videogame music, consists of Tanooki attempting to "reclaim" his fur."
Seems like a bizarre and inaccurate description to me. I had no idea I was trying to reclaim Mario's fur, I thought I was trying to save the princess.
Also, how dare the game trivialize the murder of Tanookis with classic 80's videogame music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:44:53 PM PST
They were talking about the flash game PETA made themselves.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:43:00 PM PST
They now took it back and said it was a joke all along.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:47:32 PM PST
B. Hoover says:
It sure is convenient to claim it was a joke all along, especially after the poor media reception.

I hate PETA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:08:04 PM PST
Never thought of it that way. DO I SMELL A COVERUP? YES, I DO BELIEVE I SMELL ONE

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 2:50:33 PM PST
Priya Talwar says:
I was a vegetarian for 14 years, and now make every attempt to buy humanely-raised organic meat, and this is annoying. PETA gives people like us a bad name.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 4:48:28 PM PDT
Pigumon says:
PETA are like Terrorists, they only win when they get everyone talking about them. Don't give them the time of day, people.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Super Mario 3D Land forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D Land by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (682)