on May 20, 2010
I have had this fountain for over a month now, and all five of my cats use it, although it took a day or two for them to get used to it. I got so tired of them jumping on the sink wanting me to turn on the faucet so they could have running water that I decided to buy a fountain. They would rarely drink water from a bowl on the floor and I don't like them drinking from the toilet bowl, either!

I looked at a lot of different types of fountains and many of them are so expensive, so I took a chance on this one. The pump is small, but does the trick. It makes less noise than an aquarium pump. It is a bit tricky to figure out where it goes from the enclosed picture on the directions - hint: place it at the back. The one thing I've noticed is that you do have to keep this fountain full. The pump will get noisier as the water level drops. I keep mine on a corner of the kitchen counter and just add a cup or so of water once or twice a day as I pass by. It's easy to clean and so far, I haven't replaced the filter, just rinsed it out and replaced it. Probably time to put in a new filter, though. All in all, I'm very pleased with this little fountain.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2010
I like this product for the most part. It's easy to use and re assembles for cleaning with no issues. The only draw back I found about it was that I found black mark resdue from the charcoal pack. Even though I pre soaked it. This continued for a few weeks so I desided to toss that part. I figured the cat will not know the differance anyway. To my supprise the cat used it more after that and also it is much more quiet. I just add fresh water when it gets down to the line and I clean it about once a month just for GP. Fits in low areas well as I have it under my end table because my place is small and I had to utilize some area to create a kitchen partition for storage perposes.
on August 31, 2010
My cat would never drink out of her water bowl. I bought this water fountain because the price was right. So many other fountains were too expensive. I didn't want to spend a fortune on one just in case Kitty didn't like it. I was pretty surprised that Kitty drank out of it a few minutes after I turned it on! It was easy to put together and is pretty quiet. It does get louder as the water goes down, but that is to be expected. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but it's been 2 weeks and the water has stayed clean. I bought the filters that go with it also. We have very hard water, so I didn't know how long a filter would last. But, it seems to be fine so far. I would recommend this product to anyone that has a finicky cat, which is probably ALL cat owners.
on November 23, 2009
If you are buying this type of thing, chances are, you care about clean water for your pet. This is the best unit that I have tried. Of about 6 styles over 15+ years.

Best thing: Easy to clean. Next best brand cleaning wise: Catit

Cleaning alone makes this the one to buy. About the only improvement I could think of is to make it dishwasher safe, I'm pretty sure it's not.

The Drinkwell fountain had long tight spots that required either a special brush (small test tube size) or a chopstick with paper towel. Lots of nooks for toothpick cleaning. Got dirty real fast.

The Catit is better than the Drinkwell, several spots that are tight and a pain but no tools (other than a paper towel) required.

This Petco one has nice smooth sides, only 2 main plastic parts. Other than the pump (and all the pumps are a bit of a hassle to clean) there is nothing that requires much effort. The "pipe" from the pump is fairly short, I just take a twisted paper towel tip and twirl.

Other pros:

The pump is protected by the filter. Stays cleaner than (many) other brands.

Filters are easy to put in.

Majority of water is handy if power goes out (had one that siphoned the water out of sight when it powered down and then didn't start to pump when power came back, have not seen that type in years).

Fairly cheap.

If pump adjusted right, not splashy (some types splash even at trickle).

Cons:

Pump adjustment can only be done while unit is disassembled. (not something one does much)

If pump is set too high, water will splash out. (duh)

Not as cool looking as the Catit (I could see buying the Catit as a sculpture).

It is a 120v pump, so if fluffy decides to chew on this one's power wire it is a very bad day for fluffy. Low voltage ones (at these low amperages) probably safer to chew on (haven't tried it myself). I suggest if this is a problem (with any brand) you run the cord under the mat that the unit is sitting on. Never had a problem, never used it with dogs though.

I think the 120v pump vibrates a bit more, so if it is on a raised plastic mat or tray it hums more, still pretty quiet. On the floor it is about the same as the low voltage ones.

Some other brands have add on reservoirs. This one is large enough that I don't think one would need it. As a general rule I try to always have another water source (bowl) in another room from the main one (if something bad falls in, it gets dumped) as a backup.
on January 30, 2011
This fountain works pretty well, but my cat has never liked it that much. She always tries to sneak a drink out of the sink faucet, so whenever I walk in the bathroom, she runs after me and jumps on the counter and begs. Finally I had a brainstorm and put this fountain on the counter, next to the sink. She still wants the faucet but clealry she must drink out of this thing.

It's worked well enough for the past six months, but lately I've noticed that the motor is giving out or having some issues. It's been making a lot of noise and vibration. I took off the lid and tried to see if it needed to be positioned in a new way, but no luck. It's still buzzing up a storm, even when it's completely full of water.

I bought this in May and noticed this happening now in January. Decent product, but might not last too long.
on April 11, 2011
My first impression: it looked smaller than I thought it would be when I took it out of the box. It's no problem though since it can easily hold a half-gallon of water. Easy assembly. Long cord.

Cats' first impressions: They were afraid, of course. They're cats! It does make some noise, especially if you don't fill it enough. Unless your cat craves / likes running water don't expect them to adjust right away (and even then they may not like the motor noise). I had to put water in it and leave it off so they would get used to it first, then after a few days I turned it on. They would drink from the bottom bowl but not the top where the running water was at first, but then they realized it wasn't going to bite them / get their fur wet. Now they love it.

Pros: Holds a lot of water, keeps the water clean, and of course the price! Did not overflow for me, and the motor is still running strong. I bought this from Petco a few months ago.

Cons: A little noisy, kind of small in size (only a con if you have multiple cats that like to crowd around the bowl and drink at once). I don't think the filters last long enough either.

Final thoughts: Don't buy a more expensive fountain that does the same thing, this is a fine product. If you are afraid that the motor will quit on you - keep the water close to the max fill line at all times, and if you can, do not run the fountain when you are sleeping or away from home so that you can be there if the water drops too much. Keep water in it for your cat, of course (if they will drink from it when it's off is another story, my cats aren't that picky). Main thing is that the motor should not run dry, that's how they wear out. Just check it periodically, you don't have to watch it all day.

Also keep it clean. Cat hair and other things being sucked up into the motor definitely do not help.
on November 20, 2012
I bought this water fountain for cats. The filter wasn't very good so I had to clean it out often. I didn't mind that, but I didn't expect it to die so quick. I only had this for a year and the motor burned out. I needed another fountain as I have picky cats, so I opted for a drinkwell platinum. Much bigger, holds more water and has bigger filters. LOVE IT!
on October 7, 2009
I like this it is the 3rd fountain I have bought. I had bought the drinkwell before and it was so loud in the middle of the night ! Many are so loud once you let the water get too low. Another good thing is that the fountain has lines to show you where the water needs to be filled to.
Its a good buy.
on October 22, 2011
The PETCO automatic water fountain is an affordable solution that hits all my checkmarks for what a fountain needs to be. It sits moderately large on the floor, but is lightweight and holds plenty of water. There are two tiers on this electronic device - the spout on the top tier provides a fountain of aerated water, which dribbles down side grooves into the lower tier/basin. The gentle sound of moving water provides a quiet ambiance that I personally enjoy.

The fountain's rounded appearance is curvaceously adequate, although it won't win many visual design awards. Alternative color schemes would be welcome.

More importantly, my cat now approves of this fountain. At first, she was very hesitant of this blue stranger and wouldn't approach for about 4 weeks. Turning off the electronics helped, and she eventually warmed up to it after some curious experimentation. Now she plays with the fountain and drinks more water than ever before. My cat doesn't always drink water, but when she does, she prefers the PETCO Blue Water Fountain.

Amazon/PETCO also sells replacement filters as needed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2011
My cats liked this fountain so much that I actually bought 2. Unfortunately after 6 months both of the fountains were no longer working because the air pump died =(

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations