5.0 out of 5 stars Briton's #1 Tea - PG Tips
The folks in the United Kingdom drink more PG Tips tea than any other brand, and perhaps after you try it; it will be your #1 choice, too! (By the way, the folks in Ireland drink more tea per person than in any other country.)

Published on October 22, 2007 by Michael -

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control issues
Published 9 months ago by W. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control issues, February 12, 2014
This review is from: PG Tips Black Tea, Pyramid Tea Bags, 240Count Boxes (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
It used to be that a box of PG was great and the same from the first tea bag to the last, but not anymore. About half the tea bags in the last several boxes I purchased over the last year have had the same problem of not tasting the same, tasting bland or weak. on one occasion the entire box tasted as bland as Lipton, gone was the robust flavor I loved so much. I'm switching to Ty*Phoo as they are still consistent with a strong flavorful tea. While not the same "mix" of teas, consistent flavor and strength. Sorry PG...you're just not the same tea you used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briton's #1 Tea - PG Tips, October 22, 2007

PG Tips Tea and PG Tips Special Blend Tea is our home's standard tea. There are a few specialty retailers in the USA that now offer the PG Tips Special Blend Tea and hopefully Amazon will do so soon.

In the 1930s (the pre-digestive era in history) this tea was introduced by the name "Pre-Gest-Tee" suggesting the tea could be consumed before food was eaten, but it was the grocers who gave it the abbreviation of "PG" - and the company added "tips" (since the company uses only the best part of the tea plant, the two top leaves and bud of the tea plant to make the tea).

Many black teas sold in the USA are graded the basic medium grade Orange Pekoe (generally the tea leaves below the top two and bud), which is one of the reasons PG Tips gets higher reviews than most other teas. PG Tips also uses their pyramid tea bag that allows ample room for the tea to expand as it is infused. Additionally, in my opinion, PG Tips blends only two blends, rather than blending a wide assortment, thus becoming really good at what they do.

Here at Amazon PG Tips is priced at just over a nickel a tea bag (a good value for an imported product) when you order the 240 count boxes in a set of two, and even less expensive in the higher volumes. PG Tips makes wonderful ice tea too, and that's good news since Americans drink about 80% of their tea as iced tea and only 20% as hot tea. Worldwide more hot tea is consumed than iced tea, and worldwide tea is the most consumed beverage (next to water), while in the USA it is the sixth most consumed beverage (next to water).

A very good question to ponder is "Why this is?"

Drinking an adequate amount of tea daily is now being considered to be very good for one's health, and it is much more enjoyable to drink a really good cuppa (cup of tea), especially at the nominal cost of about a nickel a cup when compared to one of those gourmet coffee places who charge upwards of four to five dollars for a large cup of coffee.

When we have a guest in our home we always offer them a PG Tips cuppa, and they always say they have never tasted a tea this good - thus, I rate it 5 stars for its quality and very nominal price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cuppa, July 27, 2007
I have been drinking PG Tips for over thirty years and was delighted when Amazon started carrying it. Both the price point and quantity are much better than the other alternatives of acquiring this brand either locally or online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pg Tips or Yorkshire Gold a Comparison, November 20, 2011
PG tips gets a five from me and So does Yorkshire Gold (made famous on the HOMELAND TV SERIES probably prodct placement). I also vote for amazon getting the PG Special Blend (First introduced for PG's 75th Annivesary) PG in terms of tea is a new company that is blending fine teas to a current audience.
Pg tips is mild yet Malty tea and I use boiling water and steep only 3 minutes to get a great cup of tea.Steeping longer brings out the bitterness.Some people love leaving the tea bag in but I think you loose the subtle flavors that way and it does get bitter.Yorkshire gold is brewed the same way.If you have an old Krups Tea Time brewer you get the very best taste possible using loose or bag tea some people swear by loose tea as the tea is a courser cut.One other secret that makes a difference is use filtered water .I use an inexpensive PUR filter that attaches to my faucet saving a lot of money in purchasing bottled water and works fine for tea.
It doesnt strip out the minerals leaving the water chlorine free but alkaline. You dont want a neutral water as in a PH7 as it tastes acid to your tongue even though it is not.Try some distilled water you will immediately see what I mean.

PG TIPS is close to many cheaper brands but worth the extra money ( we are talking pennies per bag) over Grandmas favorite Red Rose Tea.PG is a little cheaper where I shop then Yorkshire Gold. Even after three minutes Yorkshire Gold gets a touch more Bitter. Bitter is a preference just like in beer. If you like bitter beer you will like Yorkshire Gold Better.

Let me give you a comparision to coffee which I also love. If you like a dark roast like Starbucks the Yorkshire Gold will probably be a better choice. If you like an American Roast like Dunkin Donuts -Tim Hortins- then PG tips is a better choice.
Again by a nose PG tips makes a better Iced Tea especially if you like to add Lemon to your Ice Tea.This I brew by pouring a hot filtered water of about 150 degrees F (boiling the water works also just dont steep as long) into a gallon jug with 5 tea bags in it I let this steep longer and check it every half hour until done.Usually the color of a REAL Maple syrup. This may seem time consuming and it is not. It becomes quickly second nature.Do not squeeze the tea bags when removing them unless you like bitter tea. I sometimes substitute one of the tea bags for iced tea with a quality Organic Green Tea bag and that gives a good iced tea taste as well.You also get the extra antioxidents in Green tea.( both teas are antioxident rich)
PG tips is the #1 one selling tea in England and they know tea. I have been a professional Coffee roaster who was forced to flavor coffee with artificial flavors to be competitive.The natural flavors ( the few available ) cost 5 times more so were to expensive to use.So to the fellow who likes flavored tea, who only gave a 3 star rating just make sure its 100% natural flavors in those other teas.Everything else is a chemistry set.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for a reason, April 29, 2008
Bradley B (Los Angeles CA) - See all my reviews
PG tips is #1 for a reason. Always consistent, superior water flow through bags, and great black or with milk and sugar. Also makes a fantastic iced tea on hot summer days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tea, July 19, 2013
This product is available at a great price. I have found out that several of my family members also use his product. This is a great product at a great price. I would recommend this product to anyone who asks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Black Tea, July 23, 2013
My British boyfriend was raised on this tea and absolutely loves that we can now get it here. Delivered promptly and as promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Britains Best Tea, July 23, 2013
Amazon is a great source of British tea, and it tastes just like a cuppa made at home.

With this, a kettle and some milk you'll never know you're in the USA.

1.0 out of 5 stars something is off here, June 24, 2014
So I have been buying PG Tips on Amazon via subscribe and save for many years now. This exact same configuration (2 x 240). Since the subscribe and save price went up quite a bit I decided to purchase this item instead. I could not believe the price, specially since it comes directly from the UK.
I am British and have been in the US for quite a while now so I know my tea and have been drinking PG tips for over 25 years. I have never had a problem with it until this last shipment.
In one of the boxes, every 1 in 4 bags had a bad taste, or basically no taste. It was like you were brewing cardboard. But then I got on to the 2nd box, and basically they are all like that. I am not sure what is going on here. I have read through some of the negative reviews and it seems we are having the same problem.
So I e-mailed the vendor from whom I bought the tea and they said they get it in fresh every week from the wholesaler and that I should contact PG Tips myself if I am not happy and ask whether they have changed the blend.
I am pretty sure PG Tips has not changed the blend so I am now hesitant to order any PG Tips that any company is bringing in to the US.
Or may be I just got a bad batch but I will stay away from it for a while and keep monitoring the feedback here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday tea, September 2, 2007
This is a great everyday tea. It produces a very consistent cup that is rich and flavorful without getting harsh. I drink quite a bit of very high quality loose-leaf tea also, but for quality and convenience PG Tips can't be beat.