Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

on September 5, 2011
This cooktop works just fine, and we are glad to have it as there are very few smaller gas downdrafts out there. But oh my heavens, it is tough to keep looking clean. Every speck of water will show on the lovely, shiny surface. Simply boiling green beans, for instance, will kick out hundreds of tiny spots onto the surface. Know that a simple wipe-down will not do the job. To clean it so that it, you know, LOOKS clean requires removing both burner grates AND the four knobs. This is not difficult in the least, but it does take effort and time. Now you will wipe down, or use the Cerama-Bryte cleaner for tougher spills. Then you'll notice that the surface looks merely smeared rather than shiny and clean. Here you will need a good microfiber polishing cloth. After a firm polish with the cloth, your cooktop now looks clean. Replace the grates and knobs and you're ready for the next meal to be cooked.

I do notice that water takes longer to come to a boil when the downdraft is activated. I hadn't expected that, but I suppose it makes sense, given that some of the heat is being pulled down and away from the pan.
on May 28, 2012
I had this cooktop for 7 years at a home I just sold. It is a beautiful cooktop and it is a very solid unit. We never had any problems with it.

Yes, like other reviewers have mentioned it does need to be cleaned on a regular basis. You can't get grease on the cooktop and continue to splatter more and more grease on it without wiping it off or it will build up. But if this does happen like it did on mine it can easily be restored to look new again. Just remove the grates and all other metal parts, put them in a large trash bag outside and add a 1/2 cup of ammonia, seal the bag tight and let it sit out overnight. The fumes given off by the ammonia will melt away all of the grease. Then in the morning just rinse off the parts in hot water and it will look new again. I used many types of cleaners on this cooktop and this method by far was the easiest with the best results. I used either a magic sponge on the glass cooktop part or cooktop cleaner or baking soda mixed into a paste and wiped with paper towels.

We are looking for a cooktop for a home we are now building and most cooktops look very cheap compared to this one and are more expensive.
on July 2, 2013
For some reason GE decided to make the bottom of the backdraft rectangular instead of circular, which is how the vents are made. this required an extensive amount of work to get the backdraft vent hook upped.

The cook top itself works fine. The fan, when on low, is pretty quiet and does the job well.
on January 14, 2012
In the past I have had several houses in towns where natural gas was available, and I came to appreciate the quick response of gas flame for cooking. Now in a rural area with only propane service, I thought that it would be a good idea to replace the electric cooktop with gas. I bought this cooktop but am totally dissatisfied, and will re-install the electric.
LP requires different conditions for combustion than does NG. NG cooktops run on a pressure of 4 inches water column, whereas LP needs 10 inches water column. For equivalent burner BTU capacity, the LP orifices at the burners must be about 3x smaller in area (1.7x smaller in diameter) than the corresponding NG burner orifices. So the cooktop is sold with a set of substitute orifices and a pressure regulator that can be reconfigured from 4 to 10 inches.
The problem is this: flow through the burner orifice is controlled by a variable orifice in series with the burner orifice (i.e., a rotary valve leading to the knob). This variable orifice is sized for good NG performance. When used with LP orifices, two problems are immediately apparent: (1) the burner flame is HIGH for about 3/4 of knob rotation, and (2) the flame cannot be turned down far enough to simmer a typical pan on any burner except the small one (even though a "low flame" adjustment is available).
I believe that the only solution is to buy a high end cooktop like Dacor or SubZero, for which there is a dedicated LP model with properly sized variable orifices. GE seems to have the high end price without the high end performance.
Most of the common appliance brands use the burner orifice substitution scheme, so I assume that they have a similar problem.
GE's customer service folks are finished talking to you once they learn that you have propane. They tell you to go to your propane supplier or your local plumber for help. I am sure that GE engineers understand this problem. It must be that the marketing department feels no need to service the relatively small number of propane customers.
on June 17, 2014
The stove looks great when new and functioned well initially but we have had recurrent maintenance problem. It is very difficult to keep clean, enamel chipped all over the grates, individual ignition failed twice on the controls, glass top broke with routine use, rubber gasket on downdraft grate split in half. Cost for parts is prohibitive. The rubber gasket is $93.00, the glass top replacement is $715.00, to replace the iron grates would be $404.00. My stove is about five years old and looks older now than the 15 year old Jenn Aire we replaced.
on April 4, 2015
I was a bit nervous to order this. I've had some bad luck with GE appliances and mostly use
Whirlpool and Kenmore now. But my wife and I wanted a black downdraft 30" gas cooktop and options were limited.
So far, we very happy with it. It does show spots (just like a black car), but it can be cleaned up or you can just
ignore the spots (like I try to.)

My only real complaint is how the downdraft connects. It's a 3.25" x 10" rectangle that you can adapt to a 6" pipe,
but I didn't have enough room to do this easily for my install. Ended up needing quite a bit of flex pipe to loop around
an connect. When the downdraft fan is turned on to the max, it does mess with the flame, but on low,
it did a good job of venting the bacon smell to the outside. Normally, we don't use the downdraft since
we mostly cook eggs, beans, veggies, etc.

We've had it installed for about 3 weeks now and so far, it lights nicely.
on January 23, 2015
We have owned this cooktop for about 5 years and will be replacing it shortly. The grates are not even, so pots need to be carefully balanced and can't always be centered over the heat source. The grates are like a table with uneven legs. The burners are very close together so it is difficult to use all 4 at once, or even 2 on the same side. The downdraft is impossible to clean. You have to reach down and fish the filter out, and grease collects in the well. The downdraft fan is loud.
About a year ago we needed to have the unit serviced because the pilot was not igniting. We learned that the knobs must have retained small amounts of moisture after being put in the dishwasher, which, over time collected and caused the unit to malfunction. Service charge $275.

On a positive note, it is relatively easy to clean with the special glass cooktop cleaner.
on October 10, 2011
This cooktop was beautiful and functional and we loved it until it exploded on us one morning at breakfast. The fire department determined it was a problem with the appliance.