5.0 out of 5 stars Great eyewear for people on computers for many hours
Published on November 4, 2011 by Benny Soo

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Gunnar's, Not these
First let me say that wear'n Gunnar's have saved my career. before my first pair of Gunnar's, I used to get the worst headaches around noon everyday. Now 7-10 hours code'n a day, NO more headaches.

Published 11 months ago by Rico

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Gunnar's, Not these, December 5, 2013

These are the 5th pair of Gunnar's I've owned, and probably my least favorite. The lenses are nice sized, but the arms are kind of odd, & the plastic "sleeves" that slide on and off are A) Ugly B) uncomfortable C) after A & B who cares.

Cheers,

Rico

5.0 out of 5 stars Great eyewear for people on computers for many hours, November 4, 2011
Benny Soo "Seventh" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
These GUNNAR MLG Phantom Onyx Frames are just what I needed. First off I have to admit, I don't get any better skill wise in the games I play! These may create a placebo effect, but it does magnify what is in front of you just slightly so you don't need to squint as much. The contrast of the amber tint helps reduce the white glare from the monitors. It took me about a full day of use to get used to the magnification and the amber tint. Now I don't even notice the amber tint much at all or the magnification. Hell I even drive my car with these on even though it is meant for near to medium range use. FYI, I waited to review these after I went to the 48 hour NVIDIA GeForce LAN 6 that was held on the USS Hornet to showcase Battlefield 3. I wore these and had my picture posted on the NVIDIA GeForce blogs!

Now the PROS and CONS:
PROS:
-Reduces eye strain from glare
-No more red eye from hours of gaming for me
-Looks sturdy and well made, Swiss optics and fame made in China(of course)
-Works perfectly fine with my contacts on
-Light in weight... not heavier than my usual glasses
-Snug to the head so Gaming headsets are usable without trouble(I use Plantronics Gamecom 777 AND Astro A40s)

CONS:
-Tight to the head so it can leave a minor mark on my eyes of my temple
-Fingerprint magnet and harder to clean than normal glasses
-Doesn't fit in my Oakley glasses case holder
-The pouch it comes with is really cheap in quality
-Pricey for what it really is
-Makes your eyes look larger(for me this is a pro cause my eyes are normally small)

Conclusion:
I have worn these everyday since I purchased these about a month and a half ago. I wear them for work and I wear them when I am at home playing games... hell I even wear them on my commute since these don't fit my normal glasses case(I just ordered the official GUNNAR case). I highly recommend these if you ever feel your eyes getting tired from staring at the screen all day OR if you tend to get red eyes like me. I have played 8 hours straight of gaming with no signs of red eye with these on. I used to only manage an hour of Modern Warfare before my eyes are bloodshot. At $80 it does seem pricey, but using them everyday... it will be less than a dollar a day in 3 months! I may also plan on getting prescription non amber tinted versions of the "Anime" style in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, unadulterated, awesomeness, April 27, 2012
I got this pair of glasses yesterday, and was somewhat skeptical. Here are a few points to consider before I review the product:

1. I am glued to a computer screen from morning 11 to evening 8.

2. I leave for my home and reach home at 9.

3. I have my food by 9 30, and switch on my PS3 for a game of battlefield 3.

4. On weekends, I get up at 8, and am gaming non stop till 9 in the night.

Almost every waking moment of my day, Im glued to one screen or another. This used to give me eye strain / fatigue. I used to get pain behind my eyes when I tried to go to sleep at 11. Since this was a daily routine, I didn't think about doing much. Until a week ago, that is. Then I decided to get these.

First impressions: build quality, awesome. The ember tint, somehow keeps my eyes.... cool... Don't know how else to describe it. I kept my laptop monitor at max brightness the entire day yesterday, and in the evening, didnt have any eye fatigue! I went to sleep without the red eyes or the pain.

Ive just had it for one day, and can already notice the difference. I never used to wear glasses, but these just blew my mind.

Im from India, but As usual, Amazon's quality of service was top notch. Packaging was good, and the product was received in very good condition.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone out there with a similar lifestyle to mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves My Eyes, October 3, 2012
BrandonEnr7 (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy these glasses. There is a slight magnification that is noticeable and does help. The yellow tint after a couple minutes is not noticeable as you eyes get used to the shade. I do believe these glasses really do help prevent on eye strain and the other claims. I went one day with it and my eyes were fine after hours on the computer, and one day without them and within an hour my eyes were already sore. I mainly use these for work on my computer but I do play gaming from time to time and it is the same results.

The only thing I do have against these glasses is that they are fingerprint magnets and no real cleaning cloth was provided. I understand the cloth case can be used but I'd rather keep that clean since it is my storing place. Regarding cloth case, for how much I paid for these glasses, I would have appreciated a better solid case rather than just a cloth one. I just don't feel comfortable they will be protected in that cloth case.

There is a slight reflection issue that I am noticing in the lens. I am trying to determine if it is my own eyes I am seeing or something in front of me. It isn't always noticeable but I do see it in lower-lighting area.

Overall, I do enjoy these glasses however I wish their price would be a little lower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gaming Glasses & Stylish, November 6, 2011
Since I've gotten these glasses I can't believe that after countless hours using these you can feel the difference on your eyes as they aren't exposed to brightness of your LCD TV's. For those hardcore gamers who spend countless hours on TV'S, computers etc need to get one of these... THEY'RE GREAT

3.0 out of 5 stars Glasses that work well, but worth the price?, April 11, 2012
I saw these at Fry's Electronics and decided to pick up the MLG pair to give it a whirl. I regularly game with BF3, Starcraft 2, other titles. I'm very accustomed to playing 3-4 hours in one session, and (sometimes depending on the game) my eyes would be pretty red. Not only do I game, but I do stare at my computer screen for hours a day, every day. I figured these would be a smart buy, even with a 70 dollar price tag. Here's my thoughts:

Pros: I do believe these reduce a significant amount of eye strain. I'll sit in front of the computer for hours and once I take my pair off, I notice an instant effect from the screen--there's a harsher color to it. It may be placebo, but I've found that my eyes are less irritated and not as dry as they usually are, so these do carry some performance factor. I like that. They're lightweight, moderately stylish, (the other models would look better) and from now on I don't sit in front of the computer without them.

Cons: They do feel cheap. I mean cheap as plastic. The (for lack of a better word right now) ear rests are meant to hug your face and also give you room to wear a headset. Accomplished, but I felt there could have been a better design that would not only feel sturdy, but give the wearer the ability to wear a headset as well. The lenses pick up smudges horribly easy. I'll wear them for hours and try to avoid touching the lenses whatsoever only to find smudges on them anyhow. They're hard to clean. It would have been nice if the company (whatever the name is) provided a lens cleaning solution to go with the lens slip. I'm glad I purchased them, but I doubt I would ever buy another pair. I hate to say it, but I think the 10-dollar pairs meant for construction use accomplish just about the same effect.

If you really want em, drop the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 16, 2011
I bought this because I attend college online and also enjoy video gaming with my friends across the country. However, over the last couple months I had been developing eye/head aches, bloodshot eyes, and I had difficulty focusing whenever going to my computer. Once I received these glasses I immediately began to use them whenever I went looked at a computer screen or whenever I played on my xbox. Not even a week later, my eyes are not bloodshot and they do not even feel tired.

My only negative thought is that the frames that come with these glasses are very flexible and that makes me worry about how well they will hold up over time. Even with that... These have worked very well for me, and I would purchase them again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my poor eyes!, January 4, 2012
About me: I spend all day on a computer at work, go home, then spend almost the entire evening on the computer (both because I'm in school and because I play games). By about 3:00 PM, my eyes used to feel strained (at best) or were burning. By bedtime, they were just about killing me.

I happened to see a recommendation for these, and after some debate, decided to try them.

About the glasses:

Frames- First, I can see how these frames might be very tight on heads larger than mine. They fit me just fine and don't cut into my head at all, but much larger heads probably will have a problem. That said, the frames are fairly flexible and do have some give. They do fit comfortably under headphones- even fairly large, serious headphones. They do appear to be flimsy in my hands, but when I tried to bend out the nosepieces a little to make them fit better, they actually resisted me quite a bit. After using them, I think that they are stronger than they actually appear to be when you first handle them.

Lenses- When I first put them on, I thought that I had totally wasted my money. I have a 25" monitor and the magnification was really odd; I wasn't sure I could get used to them, or that the magnification was needed or desirable on a large monitor. To my surprise, an hour later I realized that I'd stopped noticing the difference and the magnification was working great for me.

The tinting is very slight. I was fairly skeptical about the idea that I would eventually adjust and see the colors as they truly were, but someone I know who wears prescription sunglasses with a much heavier amber tint said that over time, he did adjust and sees colors pretty close to what they actually are, so I decided to see what would happen. At first, I really noticed the color difference, but it wasn't enough to annoy me or put me off the glasses. As time went by, I hardly noticed it. I questioned whether I was just getting used to it or if my eyes were actually adapting, and spent some time looking at different colors with them on and off, and I have to say that as time passes, the color that I see with the glasses on and with them off gets closer and closer. My color perception with the glasses on hasn't matched up perfectly with what I see with them off, but it does seem to improve. I doubt that it will ever completely sync up, but the colors are so close now that it doesn't bother me at all.

Most importantly, these glasses have made an incredible difference. I can now go to bed without burning, itchy, irritated eyes. They don't exactly feel *rested* by bedtime, but the difference is amazing.

Do they seem expensive? They did to me at first, but I decided to take the chance and I'm glad that I did. After experiencing the difference, I feel that they are worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sold, December 10, 2011
Spencer Duke (EDMOND, OK, US) - See all my reviews
Now I don't know if they do all that they claim they can to my vision, but i have noticed that my eyes are more relaxed feeling if I wear these when I game. My eyes used to be feel extremely dry and I attributed that to my contacts, but now I do not experience the same discomfort after hours playing Skyrim. If you have the money, and have problems with dry eyes, and you play video games, I would recommend these to you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet..., July 9, 2014
Jim Ankrum (Fort Collins, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I really like how my eyes feel after wearing these. I was a bit skeptical when I ordered, but the claims made seem to be generally true. I'm in my mid 40's and have had great vision all my life but in the last few years I've found reading glasses to be necessary more than I'd like to admit.

I work in front of a computer all day, and play PC video games a lot in my off time. After a few days I noticed that I'm not nearly as tired at the end of the day. I don't feel the need to rub my eyes nearly as much when I wake up in the morning either. The most telling thing to me though, was the other day when I was at the grocery store I was able to read the ingredients on a bottle without squinting and without reading glasses on. So my eyes are better (just not as fatigued more likely) now than they've been in a while even when I'm not in front of a screen.

On the less positive side, the shape of these are not pleasing to me at all. The side bars are very curved. So much so that it feels like calipers are on my head. By that I mean, the only thing touching my head are the very end tips. What this does is constantly pull the glasses closer to my face (it's even worse when wearing headphones) which leads to the real problem. These things are smudge magnets. I don't even have to touch the lenses to get smudges on them. Just being close to my skin they develop smudges. The warmth of my skin is enough to fog them near the nose cushions. This is in a room thats 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) My skin is a little oily, but it's not like it's dripping off of me or anything like that. I need to clean them several times a day, so have a lot of cleaner wipes handy.

The benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me. I'll order another pair when it's time to replace these, but I won't order THIS pair again. I'm actually indifferent to the Gunnar brand, so maybe my next pair will come from them or not.

Edit Oct 11, 2014.
After a couple months I've decided I don't really care for these. Between smudging so easily (I'm cleaning these every couple hours) and constantly looking through the reflection of my own eyeballs on the inside of the lenses which causes its own eyestrain I've found myself looking for something different.