5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PHP Developers of All Levels, March 10, 2007
This review is from: PHP 5 in Practice (Paperback)
I had taken a beginner's course in PHP web development and wanted to learn some more in depth techniques. I had read a positive review of this book on another website and went ahead and bought it. When I got the book, I read the table of contents and found a whole chapter on email. All other books I have read only spent a paragraph or two on email. The chapter in this book went into formatting, verifying and sending email. That chapter alone made it worth the money.

The rest of the book is very easy to read and very informative. Each chapter opens up with an overview of the topics and a reference to the functions used in the chapter. This book makes a great desktop reference as well as a learning tool. So whatever your experience level, I recomend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for software engineers who are new to PHP, December 28, 2010
This is a really good book on PHP to veteran software engineers ever since I read its sample pages published here from my Kindle last night.

I haven't purchased the book yet but I am pretty much sure that I will. The author's approach towards the subject touches basics of the computer science - how to do things better. To those new to PHP like me, the language itself seems relatively "primitive" in perspective of pre-defined modularity compared with the other programming languages, for example, HTTP Post and Get in pre-defined event handling routines in ASP.NET with C# from Microsoft; PHP is "primitive" because it does not have pre-defined routines, somehow, similar to the early ANSI/ISO C, or C++; but thus, it does leave vast space for the programmers to control his or her own routines in software engineering by their own creativities.

The book talks about PHP from "basics," and it is necessary for me to learn the language more efficiently. For example, how different syntaxes for the same results would be interpreted by the compiler - a string value rounded with double quotes will be treated differently from single quotes by the compiler; Similar concerns if you are a veteran software engineer, the book gives your clarifications!

I will definitely purchase the book and try to update my review later on. For the time being, I give 5-stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Someday I really need to start using PHP, August 1, 2006
This review is from: PHP 5 in Practice (Paperback)
I started my web site in the 90's and used Perl for everything. Over the years, Perl has just intertwined my site so thoroughly that I HAVE to use it. But I do recognize that PHP is the more popular choice, so I'm always interested in books like this.

I like the "Quick Hits" sections - these are at the beginning of chapters and just give quick examples of relevant functions. The first chapter started with string handling, certainly a common task in web programming and it was helpful to see that quick overview.

I also liked that the author deals with real world examples. The title is "in practice", and he lives up to that. He examines real web site problems and desires, and provides PHP solutions.

I enjoyed this. If I can get off my duff and move forward with PHP, I'm sure this will be helpful.

PHP 5 in Practice
PHP 5 in Practice by Elliott White III (Paperback - July 21, 2006)
Used & New from: $1.84