5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Worked for me!
Although I have some background with programming (Basic, Pascal, COBAL) and desktop db business applications, I had been somewhat intimidated by the idea of server-side programming.

Published on June 23, 2008 by T. R. Bozer

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is blurry
I have the print version of the book and tried a sample of the Kindle edition since it is far more portable. Don't buy it as all of the screenshots are low resolution. If it were an image of a website that's no big deal, unfortenately all the code examples are also screenshots.

Missed opportunity, buy the print version and leave the Kindle for what it is, until...
Published on May 13, 2011 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Worked for me!, June 23, 2008
T. R. Bozer (Central New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (Paperback)

I can only tell you that I did in fact take this book one chapter at a time, sometimes re-reading some sections several times, and marking-up certain parts with a hi-liter and a red pen. I followed the tutorials, downloaded the scripts from the book's associated website, and even got help directly from the author at his website's forum.

Don't misunderstand me, that I marked-up the book, did homework, and asked questions was a reflection of how the book did engage me - AND TAUGHT ME. The book is well written, methodical, detailed, and its intended audience seemed to be someone with my background (pretty fluent in HTML, handy with CSS, has a basic understanding of databases and programming concepts, and who enjoys the learning process under a good professor).

This book will get you started and on your way - correctly. It was the perfect launch site for me (once you get through this book you will be in a good position to evaluate what you need to learn next). As for me, this book (alone) taught me to write programs/scripts to login users, develop MySQL databases, write database reports, do user input forms and process them at the back-end updating the database tables, sessions, cookies, etc. etc.

Select this book. Your php output will be, primarily, html markup. So if you don't know HTML - spend some time with that first -- along with CSS (I recommend CSS The Missing Manual by David S. McFarland).

4.0 out of 5 stars New to PHP, March 10, 2008
I am about half way through the book, and as the title says - very new to PHP. So far I have found the book very useful and easy to understand, 80% of the time. The other 20% is just my ignorance to the subject matter. The author suggests that if you feel a slower pace might help, to try his other book "PHP for the World Wide Web: Visual QuickStart Guide," which goes at a more "tempered pace." I felt this might behoove me but when I found the book at Borders Books they only had the second addition which was copyrighted for 2004, the book before us is copy 2008, and I believe the easier version Mr. Ullman referred to only went to PHP 4. Perhaps that is the latest version of that book, and maybe it would not make that much difference about the versions. I did read them side by side and I believe he is right if you are a total beginner, as it seemed to be a little more hand-holding and pedantic with the details. I did not buy it however, as I feared there might be a newer model. Back to PHP 6 and MySQL 5, I will add that I am the type that does a lot of reviewing and checking up on these purchases, especially since I am having to self-teach on every subject from Dreamweaver and Photoshop to CSS and PHP, so I think it's accurate to say that I found this book always the top rated, and thus purchased it. I tend to lean toward the Head First series on the programming subjects, because they are perfect for the "real" beginner, but there was not an offering exactly like PHP & SQL from Head-First, , and as I say the Larry Ullman book always popped up as the book of choice in this subject. So far, it has been very helpful and I have no real complaints. Good job Mr. Ullman.
Richard Seymour
Boston, MA

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for self-education material, June 27, 2009
J. Gesacion (West Palm Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on PHP scripting that I have found to date. It provided me with a lot of good information and enabled me to learn php to the extent to be able to effectively develop server side scripts. I am an experienced programmer, but feel this book is good for those who have limited programming or scripting knowledge. I was a bit disappointed in the depth of coverage, ie not enough for me. As an example, it covered how to set up a script to email information, but it did not cover how to attach a file to the email. I would recommend this book, but like most subjects, multiple sources of information are needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., February 22, 2008
I used to have the old version of this book as well as PHP4 & MySQL 4.1. I was in limbo, at the time I upgrade my version of MySQL 4.1 to MySQL 5.0. The current and stable version of MySQL has a lot of changes and added new features. It is not easy to just move to this new version without good knowledge of the old version and a good reference
to the new/current one. Currently, I am in chapter 8, enjoying it and learning it the right way. Thanks Larry great job!
John Anthony
Web Designer & Applications Programmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've ever read in php, June 29, 2008
PHP 6 and MySQL 5 by larry ullman is one of the best book I've read in my life , the book contain 17 chapters , covering topics for beginners to advanced topics and it is explain the most common web application examples like (develop user registration , build message board , e-commerce website) .

the book covers the fundamental details in very quick way and specific which is makes the reader build the web application in very short time .

the great thing about this book , it discuss the new improvement mySQL and unicode which is help non-English developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, January 8, 2011
Updated- my original comment was negative only because the kindle version didn't include the example sections which are critical to the value of the book. This has now been updated and the electronic version is now useful.

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Responsive Author, May 31, 2009
If you're looking for a book on this subject then look no further. Not only is the author clear and concise, even more importantly, he is responsive. There is a companion website with all the sample code and support forums. Don't be a twit and ask the author to debug your code for you but if you have a valid question, don't hesitate to ask. I've found the author to be very responsive, friendly and knowledgeable. The support alone makes the purchase worth it. Throw in a good book and it's a deal that can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY for the 1st PHP Book for your library, September 20, 2009
GET IT NOW! If you have a basic HTML understanding and want to learn PHP and how it is used with database and MySql... GET IT NOW! And go to the author's website - [...] - to download the scripts to save typing! The publisher offers a FREE online limited (45 day) edition so you can learn anywhere, anytime! You must use the URL and coupon code in back of book.
This book is used by University of Texas at Arlington for Beginning and Advanced PHP web design. It belongs in your library!
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars PHP MYSQL, May 22, 2011
This is a really good book for step in PHP and MYSQL. I am a beginner and never touch any server script before. When I read this book that is easy to understand. I am really recomand people start at the begining to using this book.PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for newbies, October 3, 2008
PCrudy (Fort Lee, NJ) - See all my reviews
I have been trying to implement a simple to moderately complex PHP/mysql/website for some time and have searched all over the 'net' looking for simple practical ways to implement such a web site with PHP and mysql. I have purchased several books, and have tried demo versions of software that 'build' sites for you, but my lack of expertise in PHP makes it impossible to edit or customize the generated sites for my purpose. For newbies (and not OOP geeks) looking to learn PHP, this book is excellent and well written and will probably be my last 'shot' at building the site that currently exists only in my mind. But as the 1 to 3 star reviews point out, it is definitely a learning tool, not a reference book. Also, it does take time to get used to the two column format and the small print - but the effort is well worth it. (You can download all the scripts and view them in a 'php text editor' of your choice - that definitely helps when reading the book). And the scripts have lots of comments so reading and comprehending what they are doing and how they do it is fairly easy to accomplish. To conclude, if you cannot learn the basics of PHP and MYSQL from this book, and put together a simple web site, then you (and I) should probably find another hobby!

PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide
PHP 6 and MySQL 5 for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide by Larry E. Ullman (Paperback - December 29, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01