Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PHP & MySQL For Dummies, 4th Edition
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 11, 2011
I got this book to learn the basics of MySQL and get a background in PHP beyond what I happened to pick up on my own. This book is good, a little funny (as all For Dummies books should be), an easy read, and full of good information. It doesn't really go into much detail on what PHP can do except for in terms of MySQL. (I guess, get a book dedicated to just PHP if you want to learn what the language can really do.)

The biggest problem I have with this book is the countless typos, particularly in the code (which is the worst place for typos). Pretty disappointing for a 4th edition. For example, on the very last page (438, the index), it lists, under 'Y', ysquli_num_fields($result) function, but it is actually "mysqli....." (with the m in front). It is sometimes inconsistant with variable functions (like $firstname vs $firstName) which can cause problems, it talks about the "xor" operator but refers to it once as "or" which causes confusion, most of the time the die() function is used, there is a space before the parenthesis (which I haven't tested myself to see if that is ok, but I would think a function needs the parenthesis right after the word with no space). Some other things that annoy me are more annoying than they are serious, like inconsistant spacing in code, or I saw once where the '$' mark before an in-text variable name that wasn't formatted with the same font as the variable name itself. Also, the author's use of HTML doesn't really jive with me (some minor coding problems) but it's not a huge deal either. Or, there are some places where quote marks in code are bottom-quote-marks (looks like double-commas) instead of normal quote marks as they should look. These are mainly annoyances and not serious problems if you know to keep your eyes open.
on April 4, 2013
This book is more of a reference for those who have already learned PHP & MYSQL. I had no idea what was going on and was hoping it was a little more instructional. Stay away if you're just a beginner. This book is NOT for you.
on September 5, 2013
I bought this book while writing a web app. Although I had some previous experience, I didn't have much in PhP and the book did an excellent job of describing the basics. Similarly, with MySqL I had little experience and it really helped.
The book has you work through examples, and then has the programs written out later on so you can go look at what they did.
on June 5, 2010
This book is an excellent tutorial for someone who already knows how to program and wants to learn PHP and MySQL. It describes many of the callable functions available in the language, but it tells you to go to the PHO web site for a complete list of all the functions and features. The reason I bought a book is so that I can have the book open in front of me and not have to jump back and forth to the web site to look stuff up.
on August 14, 2014
It starts reasonably well but then does a pretty messy job when it starts explaining how to query databases. Some details in the sample codes are left unexplained and some others are explained further ahead in the book. At this point I gave up reading the remainder chapters and moved on to a better textbook. On the positive side, I can only say that I learnt some good introductory stuff from the first chapters.
on November 4, 2010
There are a few errors and it's plain that the database was designed by a programmer. I got it to work at [...] . I've since moved on to Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites (Animal Guide). Peace.
on July 14, 2012
I'm about half way through the book and so far I have found the book very effective. It is filled with good examples of code. The book is well laid out and also spends plenty of time reviewing the basics before attempting to move on to more complicated program development. The user with some experience using statements in excel or other programs may find that a few sections of the book provide more detail than necessary but the book was developed for the beginner so that's okay. As the author states a basic knowledge of Html is assumed so if you have no Web Page scripting experience you should purchase a good Html/css book first.
on December 30, 2012
Everyone has a different learning style, and I found some free interactive videos online that are helping me learn php and MySQL better than a book. Motivation to learn would help, but I suppose my intellect has been formatted to require a teacher rather than learn independently. This is a good reference book if accompanied by a more interactive learning situation.
on April 25, 2014
It is easy reading, as are most "Dummies" books. It really works well. It allows you to follow along and try creating php files on your local computer for later upload to your website.
on February 10, 2015
Useless. The links provided are outdated and the software they swear you can download for free doesn't exist unless you want to buy it.