4.0 out of 5 stars beginner's / no
I got this book and was excited thinking that it was the ideal book for beginners, this was all based on how the book is advertised.

Published on June 20, 2012 by Michael Beloved

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre to say the least
Honestly, I found this book to be subpar at guiding the reader along. I'm going through and reading very many beginner PHP books, and to say that this book is for novices is a bit of a farce. Very few times throughout the book does the author indicate when it is and when it is not applicable to apply the code given to our own work, he goes in and out of different...
Published 23 months ago by Tim Collins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars beginner's / no, June 20, 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)

Needless to say it is not for beginners. For beginners the book to purchase is Andy Harris' PHP 5/MySQL Programming for the Absolute Beginner. So what about this Ninja book. I feel it is for intermediate users who are already familiar with PHP code and the way web servers operate.

It moves too fast for a beginner, while Harris' book is the slow train where you can do the ABC of this Apache/PHP/MySQL complexity.

This is a great book, no doubt about it. The information and process discussed is matchless in a way.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid grounding in PHP and MySQL, July 5, 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)
First to answer the obvious question; will this book turn you into a PHP and MySQL ninja? Well, no. That's not in any way to say that it's a bad book just that it's being oversold by the title. What it will do is give you a solid grounding in both PHP and MySQL in a readable and easy to digest manner. Perhaps a more accurate title would be something like "PHP and MySQL: Yutz to User" though that doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

Anyway, with that gripe out of the way onto the book. The contents are pretty much as you would expect; a guide to installation, an introduction to using the technologies and then a project based approach to using the PHP and MySQL in anger. Coverage of MySQL is, I think, somewhat more comprehensive than that of PHP but given that it is a much more compact and focused piece of software that is only to be expected. You do get good coverage of some of the more useful and important parts of PHP such as regular expressions and session management along with the basics and also a rather nice chapter on structured programming. I particularly appreciated the fact that object oriented programmed wasn't put forward as the one true way for building structured software, as it so often is, and that procedural programming with a library of functions got a look in. It's personal bias I know but for object oriented programming I prefer to use a language designed in an OO manner from the ground up. On the MySQL side you get pretty much everything you might need from a primer in relational database design up to some fairly advanced areas such as database replication and backed up with appendices of MySQL syntax and functions. There's no similar appendix of PHP syntax and functions, but as PHP runs to thousands of functions it's no great surprise.

So overall is this a good book? Well yes; it's well written, engaging and covers the basics of PHP pretty well and of MySQL very well. Is it every book you will need to get your PHP and MySQL ninja blackbelt? No, but then no book ever will be. While you could pick up PHP & MySQL Novice to Ninja having never programmed before you might struggle a little bit. It's probably most appropriate for those who have dabbled in a bit of programming, understand the basics of variables, functions et al and would like to move into the world of PHP and MySQL.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to get started, August 19, 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)
I obtained a copy of PHP & MySQL, 5th edition, because I have taken over support for a Wordpress/MySQL website with phpAdmin installed. I am a desktop developer, so I hoped this book would give be a jump-start to understand my server environment. I was not disappointed.

Kevin Yanks communicates his content clearly, without any fluff. I have been programming for many decades, but I could barely spell PHP. Kevin's explanation using example after example made picking up the basic syntax a breeze. There were a couple of ideas that I had to re-read to get the real gist, but I congratulate Kevin on his commitment to simplicity. As a writer and instructor myself, I give him big kudos for adding complexity in small, incremental steps.

One of his most complex topics is Regular Expressions. This is an area that becomes quite obtuse very quickly. I am a passable novice at RegExes, and I admit I had to read some pages a couple of times, but I learned a lot! Great job, Kevin.

PHP & MySQL spends a lot of time on MySQL, as it should. Relational databases are pervasive, but they are also rife with areas of difficulties: not the least of which is the SQL language itself. Kevin does an excellent job of explaining MySQL installation, Administration, and common Functions and Queries.

Some reviewers have said this is not a book for total beginners. This may be true: a total beginner may not understand what a for-loop is, or when to use it. But the book's preface clearly states: "This book is aimed at intermediate and advanced web designers..." For anyone with a knowledge of one or two programming languages, and some HTML, this book should not be a major challenge.

I was looking for a broad survey of PHP and MySQL, not a deep-dive into arcane syntax that I might never see, much less use. I am very satisfied that this is exactly what PHP & MySQL gave me. I am moving into more low-level areas now, but I got a great jump-start from Kevin's excellent 5th edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every beginner, June 6, 2012
I love the manner and tone in which the author presents new material and concepts. The book has logical progression and brings the reader along as it goes. I enjoyed reading the book and I recommend it as a must read for any newcomer to PHP and to dynamic web development in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for PHP, SQL novices, June 23, 2013
This is an excellent book. But, unless you have a solid background in PHP and SQL, you are going to need to learn both to really benefit from this book. The author pulls it all together once you have that background, but without it you are going to be lost almost immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, September 23, 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)
I find this book very easy to understand. I can use the knowledge almost right away with little questions about what is being taught. 5 start because everything is very well explained regarding PHP, MySQL, and how servers work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every beginner, June 6, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nicely done!, June 13, 2012
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)
I just received PHP & Mysql: Novice to Ninja in the mail about a week ago. I have read several chapters and am pleased with the format of the book which makes it very easy to read. Love the font and line spacing. So far, I have found this book to be nicely prepared and very informative. I am fixing to dive in to PHP strong soon so I will update this review at a later point. Great book!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book to get going quickly with PHP/MySQL but not for the complete beginner., July 8, 2014
This is a good book to get you up to speed pretty quickly with PHP and MySQL if you have no experience whatsoever with a data driven website. It doesn't go in depth on either MySQL or PHP, but shows how to use the two tools together to assemble a basic, functional, data driven website complete with a content management system.

It is not, however, a book for a complete beginner. It would be best, essential actually, if you have some programming experience behind you. If not, I don't think you'll get a good understanding of what you are doing with the code in the book as the author doesn't explain in depth why certain code is written the way it is; sure you can type it in and make it work, but that's not really understanding why you're doing what you're doing. It isn't necessary to be a professional developer, but some experience or formal instruction will make the book much more valuable to you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for novice's at all., June 20, 2014
This review is from: PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja (Paperback)
My biggest beef with this book is the way in which it is written. If you are a 'novice' or beginner its a reasonable expectation on the authors part that you know next to nothing about PHP. The problem I have with this book is it is constantly showing you only 'exceprts' of the code that you should be working on in a particular chapter , making it easy to lose your place. If you already know PHP, I'm sure this is easy to get around - but if you already know PHP you wouldnt be reading this book.

The topics are covered well - it could just be structured better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja
PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja by Kevin Yank (Paperback - May 18, 2012)
$39.95 $26.13