Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on August 25, 2014
I can't remember the last time I've written a review, but I feel like I must for the Kindle Edition of this book - it is atrocious. The code samples are not wrapped and are absolutely useless. I have attached a screenshot. I'm going to look at Amazon's return policy for Kindle books and get my money back or the pdf version immediately.
review image
on July 6, 2010
Although i love the book itself and would give it a 5 star rating, i have to say that the Kindle edition is a blatant rip off. First, its the same price as the paperback with a CD-Rom included, second, they did not bother to make the sources of the CD-Rom available (via a Website) to those who bought it electronically ... . Searched in vain for a link to an online resource for the examples until i got confirmation that this is not included in the electronic delivery (even though its full price) ...
1515 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2015
Shockingly there is no index in the Kindle version and no access to the code discussed (it is on a CD in the paperback version). That simply means that the book is useless. It is beyond me that they are selling a Kindle version when the basics are missing.
on August 15, 2010
Don't get the kindle edition if you want the source code. Yay I get to buy it twice.
on January 22, 2011
Others have written all there is to say about the contents, this is just about the code:

I bought the kindle edition and all the source code is on the CD in the book. No download, even after registering at the homepage. This is clearly not acceptable!

Lucerne, 22.01.2011
Stephan Wiesner
on January 11, 2011
The publication / reprint date of my recently purchased "fourth edition" would lead one to expect it was up to date. However, this has thus far been found not at all to be the case. A case in point is Chapter 33 describing an Amazon Advertising project. Both the book and the included software did not work initially because Amazon has required transaction "signatures" since 2009. I went to the author's web site and wrote him about this deficiency but have yet to hear back, though I hardly think I'm the first nor will be the last to do so.

I think it incumbent for an author to write code that works; especially when it deals with tricky issues of Amazon's transaction "signature" processing.

Even after painstakingly trying and eventually getting the application working partially, I've found failures in XML (Amazon price, etc); paging (continuation page number listings without intervening spaces thus resulting in an unbroken series of page numbers); cart processing failures; out of date PHP functions; etc., etc.

Although I have yet to go through much of the earlier chapters; my experience thus far does not suggest a different experience. So if perhaps the applications described in this book worked to some degree a couple of years ago, the author has never the less republished it without insuring that it would work at all today.

Consequently, I do not recommend this book...
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2009
I won't go into contents, I'll just point out that my recently bought book is already falling into pieces. The cover quality is absolutely abysmal. This is simply not acceptable. Again, I am talking here about the physical object.
55 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2015
Didnt even open it all semester
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse