From the Author
This is the fourth edition of my first book: a beginner's guide to the PHP programming language. This book was written for the average computer user wanting to begin developing dynamic Web sites. No prior programming experience is assumed, although you should already be familiar with the basics of HTML. The focus of the book is the PHP language itself, but two chapters introduce MySQL and SQL, in order to start using a database backend.
With the fourth edition of the book, I started by fixing any minor problems and updating the code for the latest version of PHP. New in this edition is a "Review and Pursue" section at the end of each chapter. The review prompts revisit the chapter's key points. The pursue prompts are specific recommendations for how to apply what you just learned on your own. As with any of the book's material, you can turn to the book's supporting forum for help or feedback on the "Review and Pursue" section.
Also new in this edition is an added chapter, called "Putting It All Together." The chapter demonstrates how to use everything covered in the book to assemble a mini-Web application, with authentication and full CRUD
(Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete) functionality.
I thank you for your interest in my work. If you do decide to purchase the book, I hope it meets your expectations.
From the Back Cover
Learn PHP programming--the quick and easy way!
- Easy visual approach uses demonstrations and real-world examples of dynamic Web development using PHP and shows you what to do step by step.
- Concise steps and explanations let you get up and running in no time.
- Essential reference guide keeps you coming back again and again.
- Whether you're a programming newbie or an experienced veteran learning PHP for the first time, this book will teach you all you need to know, including the latest changes in PHP, what to expect in HTML5, and more!
- Visit the companion website for online resources, including all the scripts used in the book, bonus content, and a support forum where you can get answers directly from the author.