Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on June 27, 2010
I just took the PHR yesterday (and passed!) and thought I would review some of the materials I used while everything is still fresh. I didn't have $600 to plunk down on the SHRM system and was really concerned I might be at a disadvantage. I used the Anne Bogardus book, the Pearson prep book, this practice exam and 900 question PHR/SPHR exam book. I also made my own flash cards and took as many online practice tests as possible.
The exam wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but I did put in about 25-30 hours of studying over the course of 3 months.
My personal opinion is that the questions in this book most realistically reflect the type of questions on the exam. Some of the practice tests I took had very tricky and elaborate questions but in my experience the exam is much more straightforward, though it does require synthesis and application of knowledge. Use this book to figure out what areas you need to work on.
I feel this is absolutely worth the 15 bucks. No one source is perfect, but by using a good mix of materials you will expose yourself to different ways of looking at the subject matter.
on January 15, 2011
Of all the materials I used to study for the SPHR exam, this book gives the best examples of actual question formats that appear on the real exam. I like that it is organized by section so all the questions for a particular area of expertise are together. This gives you a great idea of what sections you are doing well on if you utilize the book as a "practice exam" and check your answers for correctness after going through the questions. It also provides a great refresher for just before the exam even if you've already gone through the book before and the explanations listed for the answers are detailed and easy to follow. Overall, this is a great resource and can help you pinpoint areas to focus on and new items to research before the exam.
on May 2, 2011
Many questions in this book to use as practice test questions. There are some questions in the book that I did not know from reading the other books, so all in all I would recommend.
on December 9, 2009
The questions were excellent. The answer key is off by one number, however, so that was a bit annoying.
on December 21, 2010
I just passed the PHR on 12/10/10. I used this book two days before taking the test and found at the time the questions in this book were much easier compared to other sample test materials. Since taking the test, I can confirm that the questions in this book were considerably easier and more simple than the questions on the test. The questions in this book offer very obvious answers to questions, while the real PHR test attempts to trick you up on most questions. I got 185 out of 200 right, or 92.5% right, from this book. While I do not know the actual test score or number I got right on the PHR (I don't even know if I will ever know, they just said I preliminarly passed and will get a final notice in 2-3 weeks), I would guess I would be in the upper 70's or low 80% percent. The only way this book can hurt you is to lull you into a fall sense of security that you know the material, just watch out for that and you should be OK! Good Luck!
on June 24, 2010
I bought this and another phr/sphr guide to begin my studies for my sphr certification. I was not very impressed with either. This one has a million typos, the answers are off by 1 number, there are duplicate answers for different questions. You can find better things for free on the internet. $14.99 plus shipping is WAY TOO much for this book.
on February 6, 2013
I waited until I actually took and passed the PHR before writing this review so I could make sure that I could verify that the book is not an adequate study guide :: and it's not. The book is poorly written, asks extremely basic questions, and there was not one question on the PHR that was reflective of the type of difficulty that is included in this book. I would have sent it back, but I had already creased the bind. Save your money -- the author does have his SPHR, but that does not make him qualified to write a practice test book, especially when he is not affiliated with the HR Certification Institute and obviously has no clue what types of questions are really on the PHR. I breezed through the book in about 20 minutes, found several grammatical, spelling, and content errors, and didn't feel like it prepared me more than other books or the flashcards I made from self-study. Save your $15 and purchase another book with more robust content with practice tests in the actual study guide.
on January 6, 2014
Wow. I wanted to really like this book and for it to be a great supplement to my SHRM system study and other books. Well, it was ridden with errors like conflicting answers to questions (as an example, an answer would indicate the answer was "B" but then the actual text in the answer was from choice "A"). Basic terms like "environmental scanning" were misspelled as "environment scanning" and other grammatical & spelling errors littered throughout the book. I just couldn't trust the book based on all of the errors & didn't want to screw up the knowledge I learned from reputable & well-edited resources. This book was HUGELY disappointing and a waste of time & money. The author should be ashamed of himself for the poor editing on this book. I want my money back.
on January 17, 2011
I got this book, along with other resources to study for the exam. Pros: This book covered a lot of topics and helped me know where I needed further study. I have to recommend it as a balance to the other books available.
Cons: Not only are the numbers for the answers different from the questions (there are 200 questions and 201 answers) there are numerous typos, which makes it clear the author/editor didn't do their job. The REALLY irritating part were the 'made up' answers. If you're going to spend the time writing the questions, at least spend the time to come up with realisitic, possibly valid answers. What do you learn from: that's the answer. The other options were all made up.
So I recommend this book, but use only when you have an ample supply of patience!
on June 23, 2013
My HR mentor (a former PHR instructor) highly recommended this practice test to me while studying for my PHR. Unfortunately, many questions did not make sense, and when I was checking my answers, I found that the answers were miss numbered. If someone really didn't know the material, they would think the wrong answers were correct, so that is a big turn off for me. Ultimately, I passed my PHR but cannot credit that entirely to this exam. I found ,myself being weary of trusting the questions because of all of the errors and felt overall that it was a waste of money. I got a lot of value out of the Ann bogardus book and would recommend that (and its chapter tests) in place of this.