Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 10, 2006
I didn't find a whole lot of worthwhile updates in this book, versus the original. HOWEVER, since this book is much cheaper than the original, I strongly recommend it over the first edition.

What this book does very well, is to introduce one to PIC Assembly Language. Though it chooses the 16F84 as it's main introductory chip, the same Assembly Language can be used on other offerings from Microchip.

My only disappointment with this new edition is that Mr. Smith did not change his example chip to another, more affordable PIC. But this is of no consequence to learning what he has to teach, and it's a definite keeper.
on June 24, 2010
This is my first book on PICs. I have truly learned a lot about assembly programming from this, but I have supplemented it with tutorials on the internet. There are quite a few instances where you think "well, what does he mean by this?," yet the author doesn't always clear it up. Generally speaking, the author does a good job of walking you through the code and hardware hookups, which is very helpful.

This book surely needs some editing. The author is not a big fan of commas and often phrases things in a slightly awkward way. This is but a minor annoyance as the point is still understandable after a short moment of reflection.

I would also like to see an updated version that introduces the PIC16F628 instead of the PIC16F84, which is understood to be obsolete (though still useful) as the 16F628 is more modern, cheaper, and generally perceived to be a replacement of the 16F84.

With all of that said, I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to learn assembly on the PIC. It certainly helped me!
on October 7, 2008
This is by far the best reference I've ever seen for microprocessors. Some people can learn abstractly; however, I think anyone would agree the best way to learn to do something is to do it for yourself. That is the basis of this book. I have taken several classes on microprocessors and ran into a problem I couldn't resolve when I picked up this book. I did a few example programs for myself, based on the subject, and now the problem is solved. Not only can this book help those that see microprocessors once in a blue moon review quickly but it can teach those that have been around them awhile better methods of doing things.
on April 22, 2014
I am an experienced programmer with a BSCS. I found it perfect for my level. If you don't have any assembly language experience you may find it a bit tough. The author gives it to you full strength. He gives plenty of examples and explanations though.
on July 13, 2015
This book appears to be just what I needed to gain insight into the PIC microcontroller. However, this new book is a 2006 edition. I'm afraid it might be out of date. As I get into it and work with the PIC microcontrollers, I will have a better idea how current the book is for the PIC.
on March 8, 2007
This a great book, easy to understand and follow. I have to apologize. When I wrote about this book, got confused with another I bought at the same time. I think it was About "Pic basic and basic pro". This is a great book, if you are new to pic's this is the book to start.
on June 25, 2013
Many of the microcontrolers I was having difficulty in understanding were made easier with this book. Complete headers for assembly programing with built in routines helped out a lot
on July 23, 2014
really practical examples like real life or project using sensor it is in assembly language
on June 8, 2007
If you are looking to learn Assembler, this is definitely the text for you. It kind of breezes over the basics. I would like to have seen more example circuits.
on November 17, 2015