4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, but don't expect miracles
I occasionally dabble in macro, but nowhere near enough to justify the outrageous sums dedicated macro lenses go for. So, I thought I'd pick these up.

Published on November 3, 2011 by Franklin J. Rabon

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but polarizer is no good
The main reason I bought these was because I wanted something to protect my lens. The UV filter does exactly that. Under certain lighting conditions it puts artifacts on my pictures, but that doesn't bother me because I expect some of that from cheap glass. Also, I knew beforehand that I would probably never find use for the fluorescent filter.

I was excited...
Published on June 2, 2011 by bmillar

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, but don't expect miracles, November 3, 2011

First, a nice bonus was that it comes with a compact filter case with 4 lens slots. I ordered this product without realizing it came with that, so that was quite the pleasant surprise, as it's actually a pretty nice, albeit small, filter case. I actually connect the 1 to the 2 and the 4 to the 10 when I store them, opening up two slots, which allows me to carry a UV filter and a polarizing filter as well. Which is really nice when I'm just carrying a small camera bag to not need two separate filter cases. The lens cloth is reasonably good.

On to the actual filters. If you go into them with reasonable expectations, it's hard to be disappointed with them. Attaching them to my 55-200 nikkor telephoto lens results in pretty good, pretty sharp pictures. The more you stack them, the more your image will degrade, but you can still get reasonably decent images even with all four stacked. if you stack, stack from most magnification closest to the lens to weakest magnification furthest from your lens, otherwise your focus and depth of field will go crazy and you'll get all kinds of weird aberrations in your image). Also, make sure you regularly clean them, as any smudges or dust will, shockingly, get magnified.

Be aware that these will make your camera have a difficult time autofocusing, as the computer has no idea that these things are on the end of the lens, and thus its normal tricks don't work as well. However, if you're doing macro, you want to use manual focus anyway, even if you have a dedicated macro lens you want to use manual focus, so that's not really a negative in my eyes.

Also, be aware that like any macro filters, they reduce depth of field, meaning you'll want to shoot with as high of a number f stop as possible (that is your aperture as small as possible, high f/stop = low aperture), otherwise you'll find yourself with a depth of field that can only be measured in milimieters (literally, with a small (wide open) f stop, and all four stacked, your depth of field will be less than a about a half millimeter!)

Also, be aware that since things are magnified here, that any camera shake is magnified as well. Meaning that you'll want to use a tripod if at all possible. You can occasionally get good results hand shooting, but you'll get more consistently sharp results with a tripod. And a tripod will also be beneficial because, due to the high f/stop you'll need to get the depth of field you'll want, you may need both a high ISO and a long shutter speed.

If you buy these thinking you can just throw them on the end of your kit lens, use autofocus and BAM, get pro level macro photos, you'll be pretty unhappy. BUt if you know what you're buying, they're a pretty outstanding little set. I almost gave these 5 stars, because they're a great value, and you really can't expect anything more than what they give you from any macro filters, regardless of price. However, I didn't want to mislead. If macro photography is your thing you WILL need a macro lens to get the type of sharpness that field really demands. If you just occasionally dabble in macro when you happen across something interesting, they really are hard to beat.

edit: I think a lot of people newer to macro photography try these out, and thus, I see that a lot of reviews are complaining about things that don't really have anything to do with these filters, but just have to do with macro photography. Three complaints stand out as being complaints about macro photography more than these filters:

First, when you're zoomed in and magnified this much, you HAVE to shoot from a tripod. Any camera shake is going to be magnified. SO, I think a lot of the 'blurry' complaints stem from people trying ot use these handheld. Don't bother with macro if you aren't going to shoot with a tripod and a trigger release (remote control shutter button) or a timer.

Second, don't shoot macro on autofocus. autofocus isn't made for macrophotography. It has nothing to do with these filters. The camera just gets really confused by macro photography. Even a dedicated macro lens will only get you roughly in the ball park focus wise, and many of the best macro lenses don't autofocus at all. If you're going to do macro, then you need to use manual focus.

Third, your subjects need to be relatively still. Because macro involves relatively long shutter speeds, you'll need to shoot still subjects. Or at the very least, take a ton of shots and hope that the object stayed still in a few of them. Again, this has nothing to do with these filters, that's just the way macro photography is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Filters are a reasonable alternative to Macro Lens, May 15, 2013
Length:: 0:42 Mins

The reason I purchased these filters is because I did not want to purchase an expensive Macro Lens. While I'm sure a Macro lens is the best option for shooting small subjects close-up, these filters will also do the job. I use these filters on the standard 18-55mm lens for my Canon DSLR. The +10 filter is the one I use the most, it gets pretty close to the subject. And even better, you can actually stack the filters for greater magnification.

It takes a little while to get used to these lenses. You need to be pretty close to the subject in order for the shot to be in focus (and even then the whole shot is often not in focus). Depending on your shooting distance you might need to zoom in/out with your lens in order to get the subject in focus. If you're going to be shooting small insects or wildlife, then you'll need to practice with these filters in advance so that you don't miss that great shot when the time comes.

I've included a slideshow in my review, where I shot various objects with and without the Macro Filters. The first shots of each item is with the 18-55mm lens about as close as it can go without any filters; the second shot of each item is with the Macro filters in use (in most cases they were obtained by stacking to 10x and 4x filters).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 8, 2012
I just take photos for fun and was looking for a cheap way to get really close up shots without having to crop my images. I looked at extender tubes and weighed the pros and cons and decided that filters were a better fit for my needs.

Once you find the "sweet spot" of each filter, it takes pretty decent photos. It was a cheap way to make my dslr take super close up photos. With these, you should use the smallest aperture possible or expect a small depth of field. The filters give a nice background blur to anything behind the object. Anytime you put another piece of glass in front of your lens, you should expect a little distortion. I'll post some photos I took to make it easy for people to see if the distortion is too much for their needs or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works great, August 6, 2010
I am kind of new to photography and needed some filters for my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses on my Nikon d5000.. oh man i have got to admit that after i used this filters i could notice the huge difference... especially after polarizer. UV is a really good protection for you lens. It is a great product, i would recommend it to everyone especially if you are new and you dont want to pay 60$ for an expensive filter. It feels really nice and heavy. Made from metal and glass i think.. the best thing is that its cheap and it came with a cleaning cloth and small carrying bag that you keep your filters in. Overall i was more than satisfied with this product! buy it and its also fast 3 day shipping..

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a Real Difference, April 17, 2012
This Polaroid filter is so superior to others I have had in the past. The price is very reasonable as well. I always get consistent color and accuracy with high quality results. It is very well constructed and the fluctuating temperatures where I live never effects its performance. Will never use any other filter. More than pleased with this product. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Macro Diopters, July 13, 2010
While I have not used all of the diopters in the kit, I have used the +1 and +2 attachments. They are just what I needed for taking photos of wild flowers and other objects on nature walks through nature preserve adjacent to our home. I have used on both the 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom lenses of my digital SLR. I would recommend that these be tried to see if they do what you want before buying a very expensive macro-lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super easy! Super inexpensive. Very good deal over costly lenses., September 14, 2010
I have the Nikon D5000 and I accidently saw this then bought it because the Macro Nikkor lens I would have needed was almost $600. These lenses screw right onto the standard lens I have and the 52-200mm lens also. Even comes with a nice cleaning cloth. So low profile, easy to put in the camera bag, easy to install. I have nothing bad to say about them. They're an awesome buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but polarizer is no good, June 2, 2011

I was excited about the prospect of the polorizer though. I took it out for a test drive when my kids were playing in a waterfall on a sunny day. Perfect opportunity to get rid of glare off the water. As far as removing glare, it worked great. The problem is that while it removes glare, it blurs the image significantly. It's not even a subtle softening. Every picture that had this filter came out blurry. I did test shots on a tripod with a ton of different lighting conditions and every picture came out the same. Nothing in focus.

Oh well. I don't feel ripped off because I got one protective filter and two trash filters for the same price that I could have gotten one cheap protective filter. If I smashed my uv filter, I might consider buying this again because of the price, but overall, if you are looking for a polarizer, don't get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Res 3-piece Filter Set, July 19, 2010
I was a little hesitant to purchase these filters with the lack of reviews but I'm SO glad I did. The filters came two days after I placed the order (kudos to the seller) and I was able to start taking pictures with them right away. The carrying case is a plus as it's nice to have a safe, non-destructive place to store the filters. I just started taking pictures with a DSLR but noticed a difference in the photographs right away. I would recommend these for ANYONE starting out as it's a quick and affordable way to increase tone and light quality in photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars great filters, August 23, 2010
This is a nice set of filters - basic for all needs - I actually put the UV filter on when I lost my lens cap on vacation - good protection too. Nice case to keep the lenses in when not in use small and handy.