5.0 out of 5 stars Flip Down DVD Player for Car
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:57 Mins
Published on April 9, 2012 by Dan "chucky" D.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good for the Price
Published on July 10, 2012 by Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars Flip Down DVD Player for Car, April 9, 2012
This review is from: PYLE PLRD92 9-Inch Flip Down Monitor and DVD Player with Wireless FM Modulator/ IR Transmitter (Electronics)
Length:: 7:57 Mins

I just installed this flip down DVD player in my Suzuki wagon. It went in real easily and looks really good. It's pretty thin so, it's not too big or hanging down too far to interfere with head space. It's easy to use and the picture is real nice. Here's my quick install video if you're looking to get a better idea of the DVD player or looking for help to install it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good for the Price, July 10, 2012
I purchased this DVD player after reading reviews and wasn't too sure about it. As most of the comments stated, the FM Transmitter is horrible!! You have to turn your radio up almost all the way to hear anything out of it. And even then, the static in the sound is just horrible! I have 2 older IR headphones that my kids use, but even then, they have a noticeable hum! Other than the sound, the lights on the unit turn on by themselves!! I came out to my Suburban in the morning and found the lights ON... when I open the door, they turn off... quite annoying! Thinking about returning it for a different brand/model. Other than that, installation was a breeze and the video quality is great!!

--------UPDATE 9/23/2012--------

I have contacted Amazon for a replacement on this DVD player! The unit quit working ENTIRELY!!! The only thing that still works, is the ONE annoying blue light that dims, then brightens at night while your driving!! When I receive my new player, I won't be connecting the lights! They never worked correctly from the beginning. I contacted Pyle's Customer Service about the issue, and they told me how to wire the lights... DUH! I already had the lights connected, YOUR people somehow messed that up!!

A replacement is on it's way, and hopefully this one will be better! Unfortunately, I have to buy a direct connect box for my '02 Suburban to get any kind of decent sound without turning my radio to the max!!

--------UPDATE 12/9/2012--------

A replacement arrived a while ago for this DVD player! Just now getting to updating my review! The new player works GREAT!! I would definitely take it over the $700 one that was installed into my Mini-Van when I purchased it!! The one thing that I recommend... do NOT hook up the lights that are in the player!!!!!! The lights are what initially caused the static disturbance in the radio! The FM Transmitter built in works fine, just don't hook up the lights!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilled, but okay for the price, January 10, 2012
I was excited when I first got this dvd player and did the install myself on my 2007 Odyssey EX-L (with sunroof, but no factory RES). I also bought a pair of XO Vision IR-620 headphones which work okay, were cheap, but do have a noticeable hum. The unit itself wasn't hard to install - the trouble I had was mostly because the Odyssey's headliner is a challenge to bring down. The mounting screws that come with the unit are way too short, though. You'll probably need to pick up some longer ones at the hardware store. There's six screws that mount the unit to the mounting bracket - I used 4mmx30 (70 pitch), i believe. I bought a couple extra long (55mm) screws too that make installing easier. You also need four short sheet metal screws to mount the bracket to the cross beam in the roof just behind the sunroof. Might want to pick up some insulated quick connectors, too. Oh, and before you go through the install, connect the unit to the battery and make sure it works.

After installing I sat in the 3rd row seats and discovered that the headphones cut out. Leaning forward about 6 inches, they'd come on. The range was only about 3 feet! So I called Pyle. Service dept. was decent. I got hold of a rep with in a few minutes. They had me send the unit to Pyle's office on Dec 30 even tho I was a little beyond my 30 day Amazon return time. On Jan 10 I got it back. Not too bad considering it was over the New Year holiday and two weekends. They included a note that said they replaced the infrared bulbs. By the way, since i spent a good deal of time installing the mounting bracket and wiring, I only sent in the main dvd unit and kept the bracket installed in the van. Re-mounting the unit to the bracket is easy with the quick connectors. Biggest problem is lining up the 6 screws with the holes in the bracket (those extra long screws help here..) And I'm pleased to report that the range for the wireless headphones is fine now.

I do have a few complaints about the unit. First, the manual is poorly written. Parts of it read as though its broken English, like someone in China tried translating. The remote isn't intuitive and doesn't work from the driver's or front passenger seat. That's particularly irritating - I thought I'd be okay with a model like this with the dvd player built in to the roof monitor b/c I assumed (incorrectly) that'd I'd be able to control the unit with the remote from the driver or passenger front seat. Luckily, the monitor swivels around enough to see it from either front seat, so its still workable. Also, my 6 y/o is better at using the remote then I am, so he can run it himself from the back seat.

The unit has built in speakers, but don't plan on really using them on the road - they're not loud enough. It also has RCA audio output (and video too) that I connected to the factory radio but I got a lot of hum and engine noise. I didn't have much luck with the FM transmitter - a lot of static. Plan on buying IR headphones. When its dark, the infrared bulbs glow red and are visible in the unit's passenger side light compartment.

The unit has a clock display, kind of a nice feature, but it apparently is only a 24 hour/military clock. Not a deal breaker, but my 6 year old is completely baffled by military time.

The memory doesn't seem to work. That is, if you turn the unit off the dvd starts from the beginning next time you turn it on. I'm quite sure I wired it correctly, there is a lead to the battery (for lights, clock and supposedly memory) as well as to switched power (for dvd/monitor power) and the manual indicates that there is a "memory stop" and "memory play" - but I can't get that to work.
UPDATE: There is a setup menu setting to turn "Last Memory" on. The default is "off". And even turning it on, it seems to have a mind of its own - sometimes working, other times not.

Having said all that, my kids love it, the unit was pretty inexpensive, service was pretty good, the swivel monitor is a nice feature, the picture quality is good, and the wide screen is plenty big enough. When the monitor is down, it blocks about 1/3 of my rear view in the mirror. When its up, I can't even see it in the mirror.

5.0 out of 5 stars The PLRD is a GREAT PRODUCT & Highly Reccomended, January 12, 2010
Angel Muniz (The City That Never Sleeps) - See all my reviews
I bought the PLRD-92 and I have to say, that it DOES have a built in IR Transmitter. I bought a set of wireless headphones and they work GREAT. the sound quality is excellent, even to the Radio thru the built in FM Transmitter. I contacted PYLE prior to making this purchase and they told me that the unit DOES come with built in IR Transmitter. I don't understand why people here on Amazon reviews are saying otherwise. You do have to keep in mind that wireless headphones ONLY work when they are in-front of the unit, not behind it. it is a safety feature to keep people from using the wireless heaphones while driving. The side with the LED lights on this unit should be facing back, because it is on that side of the unit that the IR sensors are located. The signal to the headphones is automatically disconnected when the headphones go past the point where the IR sensor is located. again, ITS A SAFETY FEATURE. I am very happy with my PLRD-92 and HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone in search of an affordable Pulldown DVD player for their vehicle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Versitile Player, June 2, 2010
I've had pretty good luck with Pyle players. This unit has worked really well for me. A great product for the price and can be installed with nothing other that power run to the player. I didn't have any problem mounting it to the roof in my mini van (one reviewer mentioned that screws were too short. While it might be a bit easier with longer screws, depending on the design of your car's roof, longer screws might be a problem). I tried the IR audio transmitter once and it seemed to work okay. I almost exclusively use the FM transmitter and route the sound through the car stereo. I have almost had no problems (signal strength has been fine, but a couple of times the FM transmitter mysteriously stopped working. A power off and back on of the unit fixed it both times though).

My favorite feature is the ability to read data video files off of CD, DVD, SD card, or USB memory. That means I can load up a DVD-R with 4 or 5 divX movies or pop in a memory card and be good to go. that gives my kids a lot more to watch on a lot fewer DVDs. The only downside to that is (at least with divX files) the auto resume feature doesn't work.

The only negative that I have is that I have lost the remote and not all of the playback features are available on the player itself. There are arrow keys that let me navigate DVD menus and scroll through media files, and I can play, stop and pause, but I have now fast forward/back or skipping options.

I have been using it for over a year and overall I have been very happy and have recommended the unit to others. Especially when compared to the factory DVD option in vehicles, which is usually several thousands of dollars and a smaller screen, this unit is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit for the Price, May 14, 2011
I own a 2005 Town and Country Mini-Van. This unit was a replaced. I had the Pyle DVD player professional installed for $100. I could have done it myself, but I didn't have the time. The FM modulator only works on channel 88.9 no matter what other channels I select in my car. The sound is crisp, clear and is awesome. On my old dvd unit there was lots of static. The Picture quality is excellent. Where I had the unit installed the guy tried to upsell me to a 12" monitor for $450 saying the picture would be better. I said this is for my kids, so just install it. I also bought two Farenheit HP-11S Swivel Ear Pad Single Channel Infrared Wireless Headphones. The Pyle Dvd player has the option to turn the FM off and IR on to work with the headphones. I am very impressed with the sound thru the headphones. The headphones do not come with AAA batteries, but they do come with a nice zippered case for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this monitor, December 15, 2011
I purchased this monitor three days after I purchased my vehicle to prove to my husband that you do not need an expensive television in the car to have good quality. I purchased this television for my children's entertainment and all I can say is if you are looking for something inexpensive but with good long lasting quality this is an excellent purchase. I'm writing this review 12/14/2011 and I purchased it january 2011 and it still shows and plays good. I just need to buy the headphones so when my children want to watch television I do not have to hear it too.....lol. Great Buy People!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the price and Ez to install, August 31, 2013
Was a bit leery about price and all the steps might needed to install but real Ez and works great .

Just took off the original light, mounted the plate using same screws and holes and mounted the DVD player

I just wired it to existing lights for power like this
Found the always on power and plugged the player and lights into that. It's powered until my Titan cuts the power off after about 20mins

Then I went to pepboys and bought a small square white market light and poked a hole about 2 inches in front of DVD player and wired it to the power too but put the other side to the ground line that comes on when you open the door

Worked outstanding

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price. The kids love it., March 10, 2011
I got this installed in my Sienna minivan. The quality is very good, the product is sturdy, the FM modulator works pretty well and the USB input is a great advantage. I was first thinking about getting a 15 inch screen, but this 9 inch screen is more than enough for the kids in my minivan. The remote has to be pointed at the right angle and the menus could be more intuitive but for this price (I paid $135 to Amazon), you cannot go wrong. 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but for the price, definitely perfect enough., December 10, 2013
We've had this item for 18 months -- and we absolutely love it. I installed it myself (it was a little bit of a headache), but the DVD player has functioned flawlessly. It was worth every penny and I'm happy to say that it is chugging along just fine (you have to wonder when it's this cheap). Just a few notes:

1. I would only recommend this item if you're going to run sound through your car's speakers. Don't expect the internal speaker to do the job, it won't.
2. When the unit is closed, the speakers reside just above the closed screen (the speakers sit behind a series of slits in the plastic). There's some type of adhesive/glue that is subject to becoming gooey when it's very, VERY hot (encountered this issue during summer in Alabama). That goo will drip down through the slits, onto the screen, and you have to remove it with Goo - Gone or other type of solvent. This only happened a few times, but it did occur. No damage to screen, etc. (it kind of plugged up the speaker holes, but we're running audio through our van's head unit, so not an issue.
3. Sound is a bit quiet (we have to crank the sound on our car's head unit to hear DVDs...this can be an unpleasant thing if you forget to turn it down before turning the stereo to a different sound source).
4. LED lights stopped working after 3-4 months.
It's not perfect. But it was dirt cheap and it is running strong after 18months. If you can't deal with the stuff I mentioned above, you need to spend an extra $500 (or whatever amount) for a name brand player.

Rate and Discover Movies