4.0 out of 5 stars similar to what I get at the aesthetician
Published on December 15, 2011 by Otterific

3.0 out of 5 stars FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR ELSE
Published on March 30, 2012 by domo

4.0 out of 5 stars similar to what I get at the aesthetician, December 15, 2011
This review is from: PMD-Personal Microdermabrasion Skincare System (Health and Beauty)
After reading the reviews on Amazon, I bought the PMD through Groupon. I have very sensitive skin and see my aesthetician regularly. If I'm in an IPL cycle I get a microdermabrasion treatment right before the IPL. Otherwise I get a light acid peel and SonoPeel. I was really hesitant because of all the reviewers who got scrapes and scabs...I don't want to mess up my face or see my aesthetician and have her ask me what I've been doing to mess up my face. I watched the video carefully, expecting to learn the secret to keep from sanding my skin off. There were no secrets, no subtle technique, nothing unusual. I rubbed the new blue disc on my hand like the insert said, plugged the thing in and dragged it across my face. I moved relatively quickly and did not intentionally go over any areas more than once. I do think if someone tries to do too much in a treatment it will not go well. This is definitely a "more is not better" situation. It felt very similar to what they do in the doctor's office. I don't know what my face looks like right after someone else does it (because they do the laser and put on serum and lotion before I get up) but I had pink lines on my cheeks immediately after each pass. No marks on my forehead, above my lip or on my chin. I used it on my neck and decollete. More pink on my chest than on face, but still no marks that did not fade within 20 minutes. I applied toner and a serum after the treatment. I am satisfied with the results. Everything feels smoother, like when I've had it done in the past. I did this right before running out to an appointment and the gal I was talking to said my face looked "dewy". (hahaha--I'm not the dewy type, but ok) If you like microdermabrasion and are realistic about what it can accomplish, I would recommend this, especially if you can get a good deal on it. What I REALLY recommend is, if you haven't ever had a professional microdermabrasion treatment that you get one, so you know what it is supposed to feel like. I don't think this will help acne scarring, or sun damage pigment issues, because I don't think professionals use this type of treatment for those things (at least they don't where I go). I do think it will freshen your skin and make it more receptive to the products you use. Having said that, I'm not going to use it weekly and I'm not sure anyone needs to (I don't remember how often the video said it could be used) If you are older, your skin isn't renewing fast enough to need heavy weekly removal and if you are young, you have fresh skin already. I plan on using it once a month with two weeks between this and any scheduled professional treatment. I don't know how long the discs will last and people have commented that they are expensive, my response to that is...so is going to the aesthetician. I paid about the same for my unit as a single treatment (not counting tip) would cost, so I feel I got a good deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars At Home Skin Care, April 23, 2011
I was so excited to receive this product for review, before accepting the offer I did a bit of research and read the reviews already out there on the PMD. I have some acne scarring from problems during my two pregnancies and thought this just might be the answer.

I have used the Personal Microderm System for 3 weeks now, once per week. If you receive this product do NOT use it without watching the product demo, this is extremely important, without watching the demo you could seriously hurt damage your skin.

The first day I used the product I was EXTREMELY careful, yet ended up with red streaks down my cheeks which ended up scabbing and some brilliant red circles on my cheekbones....I needed to attend a meeting that evening and quite a few people commented wondering what on earth happened to me. At this point I was pretty leery since I wanted to help my skin not harm it. It took almost a week, but my face healed up and I bravely gave myself a second treatment, it worked perfectly. I think the trick is to be certain you only go over each section of skin only one time and be sure not to hold in one spot for any length of time. After my third week I feel that my skin is much smoother and softer, I did notice the softness immediately.

The downside is that I can't seen to get the hang of using it on my hands, but it's a personal problem and in my opinion it is not a fault of the system.

There are two creams that are suggested for use with the PMD and I think it's a good idea to use them as well. I really like the PMD and do recommend it, just use a gentle hand.

For the few minutes it takes to use the PMD, and the results it has given me I think it is very well worth every penny. At $179.00 it really is a bargain if you compare the price to getting the same results at a Dr. office.

* I received the PMD system in exchange for review from the Fringe Network, I used this product as directed for three weeks and this is my honest opinion of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST INVESTMENT For my skin!!!!, November 4, 2012
Note: I've been using this for 8 months. I wanted a good amount of time before I reviewed it. Although I did see my skin change for the better after three treatments.

Pros
-gives you professional dermabrasion results from home
-makes my skin glow
-removes fine lines. Not sure how it will work for deeper lines but I'm in my mid twenties and my forehead has practically no lines since using the product
-relatively affordable if you compare it to the microdermabrasion treatments at the derms office
-fades dark scars

Cons
-wish it was battery operated so its more portable
-results are dependent on HOW you use it. Use it properly or you will end up with scabs like the users reviewing this.
-I wish the discs would last longer, I usually get 3-4 treatments per disc.
-wont fix deep acne scars "pits". Only lightens dark acne spots.

TIPS:
-search for coupon codes online if you're going to buy you can lower the price to 108-135$ depending on the promos going on
-use the proper disc for your face. Test your wrist with it first, if it gets too red and burns too much your disc is too rough.
-use the one pass method. Just one pass on each area of your skin and move on the next. I'm guessing the users that scab are the ones that keep passing the same area with a back n forth motion or keeping the suction on the same area too long.
-wash your face with oatmeal soaked in warm water after and your skin absorbs all the nutrients in the oatmeal and soothes the redness. Also makes the burn last only 2-5 minutes. Hope this helped!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff!, October 10, 2013
Really wonderful product! My skin was dramatically improved after about 5 weeks of use. One tip...make sure to gradually increase the intensity, especially if you have sensitive skin. I did this (I am very cautious with my face) and allowed my skin ample time to recover. I feel this gave me the best results. One of the best aspects is the fact that you can use it on many different parts of your body. I tend to have the most unsightly cracked and calloused heels in the summer, and the red discs really help to alleviate this problem. Also a great product for helping to uncover younger skin on hands and chest, common tell-tale sites for aging in...ahem...more mature women such as myself. Good luck with this fantastic product. May it bring you happiness and increased self-confidence as you put your "best face" forward to the world! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR ELSE, March 30, 2012
okay so after reading the reviews on here and looking on youtube I decided to by this Item, I just got it in the mail today and already I've used it on my face and the stretch marks on my boobs (just being honest lol). I have dark African American skin and I've had acne since I was 14 which left behind very bad acne scarring. I wanted something that was going to remove the scarring and give me more of a youthful appearance (I'm 20 btw). I only have positive things to say about this product so far, its light weight, easy to use, and you can actually see the dead skin. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. I'm also taking and before and after picture. =]

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was using this for about 2 weeks and didnt use a toner, i broke out so bad, with really bad pimples, my skin was painfully dry, peeling and cracking. now that following directions everything is coming along great, my skin is getting better and i cant wait to see the full results

2.0 out of 5 stars be careful or you will harm your face!!!, October 6, 2011
L. Angel (los angeles, ca) - See all my reviews
So I got my PMD yesterday finally, I order this device from HSN at a decent price $99. I opened it and watche the video 2 times. Well the video just gave me an idea on how to use it i tried it on my hand first then i decided to start on my lower right jawline I guess I pressed to hard and the point where i stopped did not pull the suction fast enough and suction my skin it left me a mark kind of like when you get a tb test it got raised like that but with a scabb!! I Kept going this time my hand was faster and i put less pressure, I try to go as fast as my hand could, did excelent on forhead, chin area, upper lip, nose but when i got to my right cheek it burned me by the cheekbone, i kept going because at first it only felt like a mild sunburn but after finishing with that area it got really red and started to hurt really bad, I've had laser done on my face for acne scars and they were strong lasers that left me red and hot but never hurt. I did use the blue tip to begin with but I guess tip is not gentle enough. That was yesterday and this morning it still hurts a little but now that area about 2 inches in diameter on my cheekbone is begining to scab!! I read many reviews and I guess I will have to wait about a week for it to heal. In the mean time i will have to put my hair down to the side to cover it up, I put on some epionce barrier cream that i had when I got a strong yag laser for acne scaring, and even that hurts to put on so i won't even try makeup for now. overall I think the only job it does is remove all the dead skin cells the part where it went ok, feels smoother, after all like somebody mentioned its like using a sander on your skin. I guess what you pay for at the dr's office is the aesthetician's experience, it's not worth to save some $$$ and end up scabbing your own face.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT AT-HOME RESULTS, August 6, 2012
Lisa McDaniel (PHOENIX, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
I have only used the training disc and the blue sensitive disc (once each), but so far I am pleased with the performance. I've had quite a few professional microderms and I'd say these results were comparable and probably would have been moreso had I used the green disc. Based on the other reviews, though, I've chosen to be very careful as the unit is fairly powerful and I can see how it could cause some degree of injury if you do not follow the video and written instructions and use it with caution. Do that, I experienced no visible abrasions on my face or neck and only temporary redness on my neck, none on my face. It left my skin much smoother and I look forward to continued cumulative results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 13, 2011
I have been really pleased since receiving. I have had professional microdermibrasions and this is not that good but very close.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quit working after a year, July 29, 2012
My crystal lift unit only a year old quit working properly so I was hesitant to buy another. This one is by far better and less expensive to run. I was getting tiered of spending $40 a month on the crystal. This one seems to do more removing of dead skin cells and has tons more suction. Took me a couple times to feel comfortable using it with so much suction but I love it now after three tries.

I year later the device no longer works. I noticed for the last couple months the suction didn't seem as strong and now there is no suction. I called the company to see if there was a place who could repair it. I know it is out of warrenty. But they never even returned my phone call. Hence I lowered the review to a 2 instead of a five. I believe they should last as long as a iron when they don't even heat up. I guess I'm more upset they didn't even call me and say I was out of luck the product is not repairable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not performing as advertised., August 19, 2011
I have used the Personal Microderm 6 times since my purchase in July. I used the blue tips first 2 times,used the green next two times and used the red tips the last two times. I have used according to instructions. I go over my face several times.( My skin is tough and very acne scarred) Now it does make the skin feel smoother for a couple days. BUT... I have not seen any difference in my skin yet. No difference in the pores, dark spots or scars. Not yet anyway. I will continue to use this product continually for 6 months and will report back then if there is improvement or not in my skin. I have used it every 3 to 4 days. Hoping for better results. Too expensive. Tips only good for 1 maybe 2 uses.

PMD-Personal Microdermabrasion Skincare System