4.0 out of 5 stars similar to what I get at the aesthetician
Published on December 15, 2011 by Otterific

3.0 out of 5 stars FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR ELSE
Published on March 30, 2012 by domo

4.0 out of 5 stars similar to what I get at the aesthetician, December 15, 2011
This review is from: PMD-Personal Microdermabrasion Skincare System (Health and Beauty)
After reading the reviews on Amazon, I bought the PMD through Groupon. I have very sensitive skin and see my aesthetician regularly. If I'm in an IPL cycle I get a microdermabrasion treatment right before the IPL. Otherwise I get a light acid peel and SonoPeel. I was really hesitant because of all the reviewers who got scrapes and scabs...I don't want to mess up my face or see my aesthetician and have her ask me what I've been doing to mess up my face. I watched the video carefully, expecting to learn the secret to keep from sanding my skin off. There were no secrets, no subtle technique, nothing unusual. I rubbed the new blue disc on my hand like the insert said, plugged the thing in and dragged it across my face. I moved relatively quickly and did not intentionally go over any areas more than once. I do think if someone tries to do too much in a treatment it will not go well. This is definitely a "more is not better" situation. It felt very similar to what they do in the doctor's office. I don't know what my face looks like right after someone else does it (because they do the laser and put on serum and lotion before I get up) but I had pink lines on my cheeks immediately after each pass. No marks on my forehead, above my lip or on my chin. I used it on my neck and decollete. More pink on my chest than on face, but still no marks that did not fade within 20 minutes. I applied toner and a serum after the treatment. I am satisfied with the results. Everything feels smoother, like when I've had it done in the past. I did this right before running out to an appointment and the gal I was talking to said my face looked "dewy". (hahaha--I'm not the dewy type, but ok) If you like microdermabrasion and are realistic about what it can accomplish, I would recommend this, especially if you can get a good deal on it. What I REALLY recommend is, if you haven't ever had a professional microdermabrasion treatment that you get one, so you know what it is supposed to feel like. I don't think this will help acne scarring, or sun damage pigment issues, because I don't think professionals use this type of treatment for those things (at least they don't where I go). I do think it will freshen your skin and make it more receptive to the products you use. Having said that, I'm not going to use it weekly and I'm not sure anyone needs to (I don't remember how often the video said it could be used) If you are older, your skin isn't renewing fast enough to need heavy weekly removal and if you are young, you have fresh skin already. I plan on using it once a month with two weeks between this and any scheduled professional treatment. I don't know how long the discs will last and people have commented that they are expensive, my response to that is...so is going to the aesthetician. I paid about the same for my unit as a single treatment (not counting tip) would cost, so I feel I got a good deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars At Home Skin Care, April 23, 2011
I was so excited to receive this product for review, before accepting the offer I did a bit of research and read the reviews already out there on the PMD. I have some acne scarring from problems during my two pregnancies and thought this just might be the answer.

I have used the Personal Microderm System for 3 weeks now, once per week. If you receive this product do NOT use it without watching the product demo, this is extremely important, without watching the demo you could seriously hurt damage your skin.

The first day I used the product I was EXTREMELY careful, yet ended up with red streaks down my cheeks which ended up scabbing and some brilliant red circles on my cheekbones....I needed to attend a meeting that evening and quite a few people commented wondering what on earth happened to me. At this point I was pretty leery since I wanted to help my skin not harm it. It took almost a week, but my face healed up and I bravely gave myself a second treatment, it worked perfectly. I think the trick is to be certain you only go over each section of skin only one time and be sure not to hold in one spot for any length of time. After my third week I feel that my skin is much smoother and softer, I did notice the softness immediately.

The downside is that I can't seen to get the hang of using it on my hands, but it's a personal problem and in my opinion it is not a fault of the system.

There are two creams that are suggested for use with the PMD and I think it's a good idea to use them as well. I really like the PMD and do recommend it, just use a gentle hand.

For the few minutes it takes to use the PMD, and the results it has given me I think it is very well worth every penny. At $179.00 it really is a bargain if you compare the price to getting the same results at a Dr. office.

* I received the PMD system in exchange for review from the Fringe Network, I used this product as directed for three weeks and this is my honest opinion of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST INVESTMENT For my skin!!!!, November 4, 2012
Note: I've been using this for 8 months. I wanted a good amount of time before I reviewed it. Although I did see my skin change for the better after three treatments.

Pros
-gives you professional dermabrasion results from home
-makes my skin glow
-removes fine lines. Not sure how it will work for deeper lines but I'm in my mid twenties and my forehead has practically no lines since using the product
-relatively affordable if you compare it to the microdermabrasion treatments at the derms office
-fades dark scars

Cons
-wish it was battery operated so its more portable
-results are dependent on HOW you use it. Use it properly or you will end up with scabs like the users reviewing this.
-I wish the discs would last longer, I usually get 3-4 treatments per disc.
-wont fix deep acne scars "pits". Only lightens dark acne spots.

TIPS:
-search for coupon codes online if you're going to buy you can lower the price to 108-135$ depending on the promos going on
-use the proper disc for your face. Test your wrist with it first, if it gets too red and burns too much your disc is too rough.
-use the one pass method. Just one pass on each area of your skin and move on the next. I'm guessing the users that scab are the ones that keep passing the same area with a back n forth motion or keeping the suction on the same area too long.
-wash your face with oatmeal soaked in warm water after and your skin absorbs all the nutrients in the oatmeal and soothes the redness. Also makes the burn last only 2-5 minutes. Hope this helped!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 13, 2011
I have been really pleased since receiving. I have had professional microdermibrasions and this is not that good but very close.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, July 7, 2011
I bought this product a few weeks ago hoping to save money and clear my blemished skin. Looking at my skin now, I can definitely say that my scars have lightened up and I get less pimples in the areas I concentrated on. After every use, my skin felt really smooth and supple that even my hubby noticed.

So far no regrets :) Just use it as directed and it can help you too ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars FOLLOW DIRECTIONS OR ELSE, March 30, 2012
okay so after reading the reviews on here and looking on youtube I decided to by this Item, I just got it in the mail today and already I've used it on my face and the stretch marks on my boobs (just being honest lol). I have dark African American skin and I've had acne since I was 14 which left behind very bad acne scarring. I wanted something that was going to remove the scarring and give me more of a youthful appearance (I'm 20 btw). I only have positive things to say about this product so far, its light weight, easy to use, and you can actually see the dead skin. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. I'm also taking and before and after picture. =]

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was using this for about 2 weeks and didnt use a toner, i broke out so bad, with really bad pimples, my skin was painfully dry, peeling and cracking. now that following directions everything is coming along great, my skin is getting better and i cant wait to see the full results

4.0 out of 5 stars First Try Using PMD, July 6, 2012
First off I received the PMD yesterday. I immediately watched the video (a no brainer if you've ever had a facial), and after the 2 minutes or whatever the video was, I washed my face and was itching to get started.

The PMD starts you off with a practice (white) tip. This is what I first used on my leg to make sure I wasn't in the same boat as the other posters who described bruised or scabbing scratches after their first try. Nothing happened to my leg, so I pulled my face taut and started to make smooth passes in sections (cheeks, forehead, temples, nose, upper lip, chin, under eyes). It felt like a good exfoliating cream but nothing too intense. I put on a toner and lotion and figured I'd wait a few hours. If I wasn't red or irritated in a couple of hours I figured I would give the stronger tip (blue) a try.

Seven hours later I still felt nothing (not even a pink color to my skin), so I decided to try the blue tip on my face. I used the thin tip and did one pass. A nice flushed color was there, not even sunburn quality, so I did one more pass (they recommend no more than two) and three in a couple "problem" areas. I also added my jaw line at this point, put on a toner and lotion and I've had no red streaks, pain, bruises, etc and it's been at least 12 hours. My skin immediately felt smooth and was less oily this morning. No change in my freckles or any evening of color, but its for sure smoother.

It's not recommended that you do this more than every 6 or so days but I plan on doing this again in 4 or so with a stronger tip. I have a feeling my years of professional microderms has toughened up my skin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not skin in the filter. . . can cause bruising....I am not sure if I will keep it!, August 13, 2011
Reader2008 (United States) - See all my reviews
Update: I noticed that there is another head for the device. This other head holds the smaller attachments. I reused the unit with the smaller attachments and the suction and exfoliation was much better. At first, I had used the big head and big attachments which was clearly too much for my skin. My recommendation to the company is to do a BETTER instructional DVD. As for the scabbed skin, some of it peeled off and the skin under it is lighter than my regular skin tone. I hope the skin heals back to the right color.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I ordered this from SHOPNBC after the glowing reviews. I normally use the Brazillian Peel cream sold by Sephora, but wanted to try actual dermabrasion. This is supposed to be one of the closest things to actual dermabrasion. I don't know if the results are good or not. I have nice skin, but it is sensitive. My face is hurting today and bruised. That may be due to the fact that I really didn't know what I was doing and the instructional video was pretty short.

Anyway...

I used the product on a leg, arm, the face and the neck. Areas I went over only once are fine today. Areas I went over multiple times are bruised and scabbed.

What does this feel or seem like?

Imagine a sander for wood. The head of this thing looks like a sander and feels like a sander. The materials state that the filter is capturing skin. My skin is brown; the filter is catching the top of the head of the sander like device (the dermabrasive shavings). If it were removing skin, on me, the shavings would be brown.

Also, I used it on my toe and other places and I could tell that what you are doing is a skin sanding which may or may not be good for the skin. In other words, it is going across the skin, but it is not actually removing any skin (thank goodness).

What are the results?

For a first time use, the skin is either bruised or a little lighter, but not that noticeable.

What is the best part of this device?

The suction. Unfortunately, the suction is a hit or miss. If the suction was consistently strong, it would be a better device. If the device didn't cause bruising, it would be a better device.

Would I recommend this device?

Yes, because on ShopNBC it is $98.00 and, if you don't like it, you can return it. This means that you can try "microdermabrasion" without spending $150.00 for it at the aesthetician.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhmazing!, May 15, 2013
I'm an older woman with good skin but I have a few wrinkles and a couple of those nasty sun spots. I want to age naturally so I don't go in for fillers and lasers and all that other stuff (yet)... but I want to look my best and prefer at home treatments. This PMD device is great! I've used it for about a month now and I can tell that little lines are disappearing and some of the blemishes are starting to fade. I am very impressed and will continue to use it. I've not had any issues but one time I must have lingered too long in a sensitive spot as I ended up with a small scab - all went well and in a couple of days my skin was back to normal. So, please do read directions, do start with the lowest abrasive disc and once you learn how to use it then start moving up in abrasiveness. I'm just now moving to the blue disc and have ordered some red. I also started using it now on my neck and chest to see if there is any hope for recovery in that area. I'm a faithful sun screen wearer but rarely put it on neck/chest so it has aged faster than my face. We shall see how this little wonder does over the next few months. I would highly recommend this little machine - it's awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT AT-HOME RESULTS, August 6, 2012
Lisa McDaniel (PHOENIX, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
I have only used the training disc and the blue sensitive disc (once each), but so far I am pleased with the performance. I've had quite a few professional microderms and I'd say these results were comparable and probably would have been moreso had I used the green disc. Based on the other reviews, though, I've chosen to be very careful as the unit is fairly powerful and I can see how it could cause some degree of injury if you do not follow the video and written instructions and use it with caution. Do that, I experienced no visible abrasions on my face or neck and only temporary redness on my neck, none on my face. It left my skin much smoother and I look forward to continued cumulative results.

PMD-Personal Microdermabrasion Skincare System