4.0 out of 5 stars Passed the PMP using this text exclusively
I took the PMP on 5/4/2012 and passed in just under 3 hours utilizing this text exclusively.
I marked about 20 questiond for review - and the lion share of those were either "tricky" or required serious math.
Published on May 4, 2012 by Mark M. Payne

Published 21 months ago by Saj

4.0 out of 5 stars Passed the PMP using this text exclusively, May 4, 2012
Mark M. Payne (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PMP Exam Prep, Seventh Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (Paperback)
I have 10+ years managing projects (no help on the PMP what-so-ever, in fact my experience was a liability) in IT departments in various companies and thus came to process with considerable bias, particularly because all of my project management experience is in the IT field. Below was my study plan:
Allocated 3 months for the effort - during those three months: Mon-Friday read for 45 minutes during my lunch hour. Sat & Sun read for two hours each day in 4 30 minute segments. Read cover to cover - slowly, seeking understanding and avoiding "passing words under my eyes" as we're all prone to do. Memorized the formulas and other data they indicated that should be memorized. Saved attempting the end of chapter questions until the final days of study. Then studied the answers I got wrong - this was VERY VALUABLE.
Thoughts on the text itself:
1. Not a boring read and actually held my attention. I enjoyed reading it and enjoyed LEARNING the information.
3. They take the time to explain WHY answers to questions are what they are, which for the PMP is invaluable because the test is all about application of knowledge and not memorization.

My best study tips for this exam:
1. Study for real. This isn't a Microsoft exam - it's a serious test of the application of knowledge.
2. The test IS NOT about the PMBok. Read it - don't memorize it. You don't need to.
3 Learn the SEQUENCE of the processes of what to do/when/why and what you should end up with when done and nothing the exam throws at you will trip you up.
4.PMP practice exams found on the WWW are useless. They vary wildly in content and teach you nothing. Worse - they may lull you into a false sense of exam familiarity. The real exam questions were nothing like samples I'd seen on the WWW.

Good luck, Mark Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than previous editions..., December 4, 2011
SR (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
I have had access to each edition of this book since the Fourth Edition, and essentialy every PMP prep book published since 2004. As someone who would absolutely know, I can tell you this is not only the best PMP book RMC has published thus far, but the best PMP prep guide on the market right now. And for me, it's not even close. Unlike the rest of the PMP guides out there, which simply present information from the PMBOK Guide in a slightly different format, Rita figures out ways to boil down critical exam concepts into real world applications and scenarios. Which makes Rita's book user-friendly, interactive, and valuable as a resource long after students pass the exam. People who teach PMP classes for a living or for their companies understand the true value of this book. I certainly do.

Regarding the previous review...Rita was admittedly a very direct person, whether she was teaching or writing or speaking. Anyone who ever met her knows this, and I had the pleasure of spending time with Rita on about a half-dozen occasions. Rita's co-author for this new edition (Laurie Diethelm) has made a wonderful effort to soften Rita's tone, which I admit was not for everyone. In fact, most (if not all) of the sections the previous reviewer refers to have been completely re-written. The result of Rita and Laurie's joint contributions is a great book--both in tone and content. Clearly this person is either reviewing a previous edition, or has another agenda (I am always wary of negative reviews that so specifically recommend other books...)

And finally, one caveat for people in the market for a PMP prep guide: in case you hadn't heard, nearly one-third of the PMP exam changed this past September. As far as I can tell, this book is the only one that has been updated so far. Do NOT buy any book that was published before June of 2011!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - I passed PMP just by reading this book!, November 20, 2011
I passed PMP just by reading this book (6th edition of this book). Very nicely written with real world examples. This book alone is enough to pass the exam. Some people go through CDs, PMBOK guide, etc., however, I do not see any need for them.

Rita covers many things even the topics PMBOK guide doesn't cover. She also points out where you may lack experience/knowledge or where you may make mistakes/false assumptions, etc.

If you want to pass the exam first time, you may want to do the following:

Make sure that you read the book very thoroughly first time (do not skip or browse pages).
Complete every practice exam at the end of the chapter without looking at the answers. For better results, you may want to solve 10 questions at a time and verify your answers and Rita's explanation and move on to the next set of questions. This way, you get the command on the concepts and do the next related questions better. If you wait to verify the answers after all questions are done, you may have done many questions wrong because of a simple misunderstanding of a concept.

Book your exam two to three weeks in advance once you finish Risk Management chapter. You will still have Procurement management, etc. chapter but you will be able to finish the rest in time as you have more reasons to finish because of the added motivation booking the exam.

In the last two days before the exam, go back and review main concepts in each chapter just by browsing them and complete each review exam again without looking at the answers!

Make sure that you are able to finish 40 questions under 40 minutes!! The problem on the exam is not just not knowing the answers but to answer them in time. I had very tough time maintaining time and could not take a single break in my 4 hour exam.

The night before the exam, take it easy!! You will be a PMP in no time!!! Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am Now a PMP!, October 31, 2011
I recently passed the PMP exam using only RMC materials (Rita's prep book, exam simulator and flashcards) and although the exam was difficult and stressful, I can say with 100% certainty that the RMC materials prepared me to pass. Every PMP at my company used RMC materials--some as far back as 10 years ago--and I don't know anyone at my firm who ever failed the exam. RMC has been doing this a long time, and their products are absolutely worth the premium price.

I found the book to be easy to follow and easy to break down into areas where I needed to concentrate the majority of my study. There is very little memorization involved. The book made all of the concepts understandable, and helped me figure out my gaps (where I needed to focus most of my study time). Overall, it was well written, suited my study plans and helped relieve most of my anxiety about taking the test.

In addition to the book, exam simulator and flashcards, I also ended up using the abridged audio CD version of the book (6th edition-- 7th wasn't available yet) as I got closer to my exam date. Although the audio version doesn't contain nearly the same amount of content as the paperback, it was a good review tool for me during my commute.

Highly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good as a starting reference for the exam BUT not recommended for exam, December 11, 2012
I started preparing for the PMP exam in Sept 2012 and used Rita's 7th edition to start with. She has missed several aspects and are promoting their own processes. After passing the PMP in Dec on the first try, if I had used Rita as a sole source, the i was guaranteed to have failed. There is a perception that Rita is the only way you can pass. I can surely say that is a false message.

Strategy is to use this as a initial starting point and focus on the PMBOK; the reading is fairly straightforward.

The exam is really tough and I do not recommend any one using PMP Prep as a basis for preparing. Farnedale is closer to the exam and does a great job in level setting the knowledge.

The book lacks a key aspect which is how each process areas flow into each other and the interactions. This is covered by PMBOK and i felt this was a real negative. Rita needs to stick with what is authorised methology vs trying to create her own.

Frankly, there are tonnes of folks selling courses and materials; each is trying to make a lot of money from students. This is also one of those. Avoid PMPFastrack software, in my humble opinion it is overrated and extremely expensive and not worth the grain it is being premiumed for. PMZilla site has good support of short notes and additional material key to succeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for PMP Preparation, November 23, 2011
I am currently studying for the PMP exam and this book is really helping me understand Project Management so much better than the PMBok. I would still recommend you also read the PMBok before taking the exam, but this book is so practical and provides so many exercises and exam questions that it is really worthy the buy. I am planning to undertake the exam in March and I feel this book is helping me a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primary source for PMP Certification, September 21, 2011
This has been my primary source for PMP certification. PMBOK 4th edition is not complete for the exam. It lacks a lot of "real world" tips and hints. Rita's book is a perfect companion to PMBOK, besides her PM Fastrack.

4.0 out of 5 stars PMP certified for the PMBOK 4th edition, February 9, 2012
I used this book along with offcourse PMBOK 4th edition to pass the PMP.
I have not compared how well other practitioners have updated their books but this book aligns with PMBOK4 very well. Here's my plan for 3 months- (hrs a week really depends on your existing knowledge and how much time you can give)

6 weeks: Rita + PMBOK. Do ALL her exercises. Do NOT skip anything. Create an excel with column for attempt #1 and a tab for each chapter
4 weeks: revision. Rita and all those points you marked as "imp", highlighted and you got wrong. In your excel note attempt #2 and go through her end-of-chapter exercises. The ones that you got wrong AGAIN are your weak points. Read again.
1 week: Go online and find some practice sites. I do not want to post any links lest it sounds as recommendations. But there are sites which offer free questions. Use them as practice. See what you miss and read PMBOK. That also gets you in the mode of sitting down non-stop for 50/100/150 questions gradually
1 week: take time OFF. Highly recommended. Take practice tests. Here i wish i had got some test simulators from Rita or someone else. I used one site which offered an exam mode and did 2-3 exams.

Schedule exam for a Monday.. so if you cannot take time off for a week, at the least give 2 tests on the weekend.

Finally, the exam:
- Rita says most exams can be done in 2.5 hrs. The online site, i used to wrap up in 2 hrs. The actual exam was tougher. I took 3.5 hrs. Maybe i spent more time on some questions. I do not think 2.5 hrs is possible unless you are already in a PMO role. But thats me.
- The online sites do not come close in terms of complexity. I scored 85% in 2 hrs time. NOW PMI does not give any %. Just below, at par or above proficient. (I got 3 above and 2 at par).
- So Rita's questions come close in complexity to the real exam but i definitely recommend some PMBOK4 updated exam packages

Pros:
- Lot of PMP insight about what is material and what is nice-to-have for the exam
- Excellent exercises. I think that saved my exam
- Spot on in telling that you should assume you are managing a large multi-team $$$ project. That itself will help you get some answers right.

Cons:
- She has missed some aspects of the PMBOK.. very very few but i uncovered some when i took some online practice. For example: she does not talk about 'quality' and 'grade' in Quality management. I had skimmed the PMBOK there so i just missed it. But an important point. And
- Some questions and her rationale of answers i just dont agree. That could be subjective but in my real life that would NOT fly. If you have managed projects, you will find a few of these.

Best of luck!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Read, November 3, 2011
I am completely amazed by the clarity with which concepts are explained. This book is a sure-shot win for all those who plan to prepare for the PMP with the updated pattern. I just passed on October 10, 2011 reading this alongside PMBOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review- PMP Exam Prep 7th Edition Published 2011, November 1, 2011
The question that would be asked the most by candidates to Project Management Professional PMP examination would most probably be `How to study for the exam?'
Most would answer 'read the books!'
There are many books that cover the syllabus in the PMBOK Guide; the official guide to taking the PMP examination published by PMI Project Management Institute themselves. Given only one other choice; beside the Project Management Body of Knowledge Guide, of course; that book would be the `PMP Exam Prep 7th Edition' by Rita Mulcahy with Laurie Diethelm.
There are many reasons.
The style of writing is easy and pleasant to the eye. I could open up the book at any page and could easily understand any of the concepts of Project Management as laid out by PMI.
The approach to the subject adopted by the Book is similar to being in a study group; a thoroughly therapeutic and relaxing way to pick up skills as required by PMI. There are neither stressful moments nor `mountains-to-climb' to cover the syllabus.
I could read the Book and also easily relate the processes, the knowledge areas, the technical jargon to the experience that I went through when running my Projects. There are plenty of those moments when `light-bulbs' popped up in my head whilst going through the book and realizations simultaneously burst out reinforcing that those same scenarios have been experienced by me in my previous Projects.
There are plenty of sample examination questions after each chapter that most accurately imitate the format, the style and the 'quality'; the level of difficulty; of the PMP Examination.
There are tips and pointers on how to study and how best to prepare for the examination. These are practical 'how-to' and wise words from fellow PMPs who have gone through the whole process of 'doing' Projects and then studying to get themselves certified professionally by PMI.
There are topics on `Professional-and-Social-Responsibility', list of References for further readings and plenty of Charts, diagrams and sketches to make the Book a thoroughly enjoyable and refreshing study material. There is also a CD enclosed consisting of the demo version of the renowned PMP exam simulation software.
I would not hesitate to recommend the book to anyone who wants to comprehend PMI's Project Management philosophy and methodology thoroughly, on the way to pass the PMP Examination and be a certified Project Management Professional eventually.

$99.00 $61.17