4.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, good price point, adequate performance
Published 17 months ago by skoledin

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a true 128GB
Published 11 months ago by Wade Westerman

4.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, good price point, adequate performance, July 12, 2013
skoledin (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PNY 128GB Classic Attach Flash Drive (P-FD128CLCAP-GE) (Personal Computers)
Just picked up the 128G version of this usb stick for use in an automobile to store music. In terms of real world performance, I'm seeing 5-8MB/s write rates on mixed size mp3 files (larger files are faster overall), which meshes fairly well with the benchmarks. You'll probably be fine writing a few large video files at a time, and reads are quick (20MB/s) across the board. Came formatted FAT32 for maximum compatibility.

So far, so good. I'm happy with the price/performance point.

Definitely not the drive to use for tons of small/random write operations, but should be just fine for most general storage/playback purposes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 5.176 MB/s [ 1263.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.012 MB/s [ 2.8 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 5.535 MB/s [ 1351.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.011 MB/s [ 2.7 IOPS]

Test : 100 MB [F: 0.0% (0.0/119.2 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/07/12 14:06:03
OS : Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a true 128GB, December 27, 2013
I bought one of these a while back. After I transferred about 80GB of data onto it, I started getting a "Disc is Write Protected" error. I could remove the "Write Protect" temporarily, but it kept coming back. I tried everything possible to fix it. Then I found some software for testing USB drives. I found out it was only a 64GB drive. During my research on the web, I learned that counterfeit USB drives are being produced on almost an industrial scale. Unfortunately, I ended up with one of them. I had a feeling the price was to good to be true. This in NO WAY means that PNY sells bad drives. It just means that somebody is making counterfeits and selling them cheap. A true 128GB should cost two to three times this price from what I have read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last long, November 8, 2013
Mine started giving me read errors and corrupted files after about 2 months of use. Treated the same as all the other flash drives I have, all of which are still working. Cannot recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed out of the box, November 6, 2013
Macker117 (Rhode Island) - See all my reviews
This USB drive showed up and immediately gave me a "Remove the write-protection. This disk is write protected" error. Despite spending hours in regedit and command prompts trying to remove the write-protection I had to conclude that the drive was corrupt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 days, September 29, 2013
After transferring approx. 80GB of data, the flash drive would no longer be recognized in windows 7. The device showed up as "No Media" in device manager and was not able to be reformatted. I tried multiple formatting programs including the command prompt with no luck.

Will be returning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Code 43, December 15, 2013
Within 2 weeks I received the dreaded Code 43, an unrecognized USB device. When it did work, it was 5/5 Stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is PNY no longer reliable?, December 7, 2013
Three different computers would not recognize this drive. Dead on arrival and on its way back for a refund. A few months ago, a RAM upgrade from PNY was also defective; when replaced with the same product, it worked fine, but it should have worked the first time to begin with. Even though I have used many PNY devices over the years, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars 128gb for 60 awsome, December 11, 2013
works great no prob with delivery or anything price is worth the memory
i put everything in my pc in this chip as back up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Formatting errors, unable to store video properly, September 15, 2013
So, even with fat32 formatting, this thing can't handle videos. It stores them, sure, but when you try to open them even with VLC, it just comes up with the playlist screen and 00:00 time. Quicktime straight up just tells me that they're not video files even though they have the extension .mp4.

Just for the hell of it, I even tried formatting it on my Xbox to see if maybe my computer was formatting them wrong. Now, it won't open/show up on my computer at all.

Also, upon pulling it from a USB slot, I tore the outer shell off. Great, now it's physically broken on top of being an all-around piece of s***.

5.0 out of 5 stars One flash drive for ALL my school work, October 6, 2013
I have enough room on this to fit every assignment from all my colleges on one drive. I am not loosing any work I have do0ne.