4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility Issue

1.0 out of 5 stars Good RAM Bad Support
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility Issue, November 21, 2009
E. Coleman "thetoltec" (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PNY Optima MD4096KD3-1333 4GB Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1333 MHz PC3-10666 Desktop DIMM Memory Kit (Personal Computers)
I purchased this memory before being 100% sure it would be compatible with my new MSI motherboard. Consequently, my computer experiences 'freezing' often (my bad). The problem seems to be that these modules are designed specifically for Intel CPU's/motherboards and not AMD. I have checked the website specs for a few AMD motherboard manufacturers which seem to support this idea. None of them list PNY as compatible memory for their boards. I have since purchased a set of Kingston modules that will work. I hope this will help those who are considering this memory. The 4 star rating is for price point when compared to similar modules.

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues here, January 11, 2011
I've had 0 issues with this RAM since I bought it (about 1 month ago). I use it my gaming rig (for about 2 hours/day M-F, 5 hours on Saturdays) and have had no problems what-so-ever.

My system is
AMD X3 Rana 440 (3.0GHz)
PNY 128 GB Optima SSD SATA II 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) P-SSD2S128GM-CT01RB
PNY Optima MD4096KD3 PC3-10600 8GB
PNY GeForce GTX 470
Asus M4A78T-E Socket AM3 ATX Motherboard
ThermalTake TR2 600 Watt PSU
LG GH24NS50 SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive (Black)
Antec 300 case

I've left everything at stock, and have ensured that the case has excellent air flow. It may be that the people who are having issues may have something with their mobo, not sure, but I couldn't be happier with this RAM.

In starting a VM, it took no longer than 23 seconds to start a CentOS 5.5 VM with MySQL, Apache, SSH and networking enabled (CentOS is slow but stable as can be)

In gaming, this system rules Borderlands at 1600x900. And at I can play Dead Space at 1600x900 without any issues nor lags. The game is breathtakingly beautiful and scary.

Maybe I got lucky, maybe my mobo likes PNY a lot more than others ( I know my Mac doesn't like PNY, but it's a Mac)

Anyways, I would recommend, PNY any day. When I fried my 9800 GTX+ they replaced it, free (since it really wasn't my fault, faulty PSU). They replaced 1 stick of bad RAM (many years ago).

My system does not get hot, RAM stays cool. I am happy.

Edit:
I installed Fedora 14 on this system and Fedora ran without any issues. I love my system, and I love this RAM! I would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance Priced Right, January 27, 2011
Runs perfectly, and in Dual-Channel mode. Comes with built-on heat dispersers, and never gets hot. Low price and high performance. No complaints.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good RAM Bad Support, September 27, 2012
I purchased this in August and discovered that one of the two sticks was bad. Thinking it would be a simple matter to RMA the module I did just that. I can't blame PNY for Fedex misrouting the package and claiming it was delivered, but I can hold them to account for their actions while discovering this fact. A week after it was shown as delivered I attempted to check the status of the RMA on the website only to get a blank page (Still do) when I put in the RMA number and email address. At that point I dialed the 800 number in the RMA confirmation email dated August 23rd, the first call picked up and then immediately disconnected. The second call routed to an operator who transferred me to a lady in tech support and the call disconnected. Thinking our voip system at the office was on the blink I used the land line and ended up with the same support person who apologized, put me on hold, and the call disconnected. So, I sent an email, this was Sept 7th. No response. A few days later on Sept 12th I was getting ready to go at this again and discovered a second set of tracking info from Fed Ex and contacted the company mail room and we discovered it had only just then been delivered. PNY sent a confirmation email the next day. I then received a request for a receipt, my bad, I had indeed included this in the unanswered email, but sent it again. I also sent an email detailing all the issues up until that point but Jan didn't seem to think she needed to respond or forward it. Today is the 27th. At this point they have yet to provide any update, new RAM, or return a single phone call. I'm not exactly sure what the next step will have to be.
In the past I have used Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, Geil, Gskill, Kingston, Adata, and Patriot. Crucial, Corsair, and Mushkin had been my preferred memory, but the rest all seemed reliable and with deals like this one here who would pass it up. Reliable brand, good price. Sadly bad RAM happens, but with Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston you have no problems with RMA's or support. I have done more than my fair share in the past, but I've never seen anything like this. This is the kind of support that could be expected from a third tier Walmart Supplier.
Stick with the more reputable companies, it is not worth your time or money to try and deal with something like this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, November 12, 2010
UPDATE: Constant BSOD's, ran memtest 86, bunch of errors came up. Don't buy! Thank god for Amazon's great service though!

ORIGINAL:Great item For the price. Inatially I was having problems with setting this up, but I just had them in the wrong DIMM Slots. Works great on MSI AM3 NVIDIA nForce ATX AMD Motherboard NF750-G55, and currently I have an Anthlon II X4 running @ 3ghz, And two Gforce 465GTX's on sli mode. Hopefully they don't mess up in the upcomming months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality RAM at a good price., November 20, 2011
If your thinking of buying this, 1st. make sure your motherboard supports DDR3 memory. 2. See if the Corsair Vengeance memory is still at 39.99. if it is, buy it instead. it is a better brand name and it is faster. this memory is 1333mHz and the Corsair Vengeance is 1600mHz. As of writing this, this memory is:
$40.77 and you get 2 sticks. both 4GB 1333mHz. And the Corsair Vengeance is
$39.99 and you get 2 sticks. both 4GB 1600mHz. i wish the price was that good 2 weeks ago when i bought it.. haha just lookin out for you buyers out there:)
Anyways the memory is great. i use it with my existing 2 sticks of Super Talent 2GB a piece at 1333mHz and the run together very nicely in the M4A87TD EVO motherboard. hope you get the best bang for you buck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Company with Great Products, August 30, 2010
Steven Philips "iimpact" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This memory was recently placed in a new system. The memory seems to be running as advertised and it is nice to have it all pre-paired.

PNY makes great graphics card and I had purchaed PNY memory before. A great value in the arena with all the other competition.

1.0 out of 5 stars PNY DDR3 Memory Review, May 27, 2010
Installed this memory in a new PC Biostar TA785G3 (V6.X) motherboard, with an AMD X3 2.9 MHz processor.
Everything was new, and I loaded W-7 64-bit OS. Initially after setting up the Bios the machine loaded
and ran well (1st-time) Then for some strange reason on a cold restart the machine would boot and flag
warning messages about certain modules that failed, and memory errors etc. Ultimately it would restart
and the same thing would happen. I reseated the memory and then W-7 would run fine again until the next
cold restart. This problem was perplexing. I was not sure if it was motherboard, memory, or CPU and without
any new hardware to swap I was stuck. I repeated the above events for about 1-week, and then W-7 started
reporting memory errors more frequently, leading me to conclude that the memory was bad. I returned it,
and ordered new memory (not PNY), and installed it in my machine, which runs perfectly now, no errors and
it is amazingly fast. I can now run 5 or 6 applications without any delay what so ever. This machine
is the bomb!

I don't know if I got a bad memory device or if PNY has a problem with their DDR3 product line, but I
had to return it for a refund, which I must say AMAZON is GREAT for refunding defective electronic
components! I will definitely continue to use Amazon for electronic purchases. I have built 7 new
PC's this year for friends and family and am an avid PC hobbyist. I am also an Engineer, and oddly
enough MY system was the only machine out of seven that had a problem. I guess in a way that is good!

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, November 16, 2013
Works fine. Once. Then your computer will begin experiencing a menagerie of different issues, be it not loading BIOS, to causing shorts in the motherboard. I wouldnt recommend this product to anyone and stick to a much more trusted brand of RAM.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend it - Ram crashes computer consistently., December 18, 2012
I'm pretty disappointed but I purchased this ram for my warehouse desktop computer. Immediately after install and start up, I get the dreaded blue screen crash. At first I didn't think much of it, probably just didn't recognize the ram or something silly. After a few weeks of continuous use, this computer randomly crashes out of nowhere.

I'm not sure what it is but I purchased this particular ram based on the motherboard and previous ram that I had so I highly doubt there is any conflict. Sad to say but I would buy with caution.

Rate and Discover Movies