Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on January 8, 2010
Bought this graphics card to upgrade a Dell Dimension desktop to be able to use a Viewsonic 22" monitor. The installation was easy. Getting the proper driver software was a little tricky unless you read very carefully. Once the correct software was installed, the card worked flawlessly and the monitor looks great!
on November 16, 2009
A good card, alittle slow on performance but the card is PCI it's pretty solid and works with standard nVidia drivers from the nVidia website. So no needing to hunt for 3rd party drivers or looking for the PNY drivers. Also even though it has a fan it's pretty quiet
on March 2, 2009
This is not a PCIe card like the pictures of the card and box show. I wanted PCI, I looked at Nvidia's website and found that this card came in both PCI and PCIe format depending on who made it.

Ignore the Pictures and the product discription this is PCI.
on October 14, 2009
First of all, don't buy this card expecting to receive the PNY rebate. I was informed by PNY that I wouldn't receive the rebate because I hadn't enclosed the original receipt - and no Amazon buyer is provided with a "receipt" that would conform with their rebate conditions. This is pure FRAUD. So, forget the rebate! It's a scam. I'm planning on reapplying and then making a complaint with my local assistant state attorney general. The rebate offer is nothing but a fraud.

Second of all, this card doesn't work with full screen flash. I've tried every fix and after repeated internet searches, I can't find proof, anecdotal or otherwise, that anyone has ever made this card work successful and smoothly with fullscreen flash. So forget about watching Youtube or Hulu after buying this card.

Third, the NVIDIA drivers aren't fully compatible with Vista, and also have a conflict with Google Desktop. It was a nightmare to install the drivers, and if you have a previous integrated NVIDIA card, you will have a continuing software conflict.

The bottom line is that this 512MB card is far worse in operation than cheap 128MB integrated graphics card. It's just downright bad. It works, but not to a reasonable standard for any graphics card, especially one with these supposed specifications. All I can say is that it is better than not having ANY functioning graphics card at all.

Amazon is offering an incredible deal on this card, and even promoting the bogus PNY rebate on their own webpage. If the card worked and the rebate was actually paid by PNY, it would be a great value. As it is, AVOID this "PNY GeForce 8400GS 512MB PCI Graphics Card."

Don't buy it!

(Despite multiple driver upgrades, this NVIDIA GPU is still only a 2.0 on the Windows Experience Index. I never received the rebate or even reasonable customer service.)
on July 2, 2010
I bought this card because I wanted to run a 3 montor setup and my board only had one pci xpress slot. There isn't a huge market for xpress x1 cards, so I had to go pci.

My main card (Asus 9600gt) is running my main monitor (so I can still game) and my hdtv (so I can use it with Windows Media Center).

This card that I am reviewing is only being used to run my second monitor (right next to my gaming/main monitor). I only use this card to drag folders and documents over to it. It stutters a bit when dragging and maximize windows. When dragging a document from the main monitor to this card's monitor it gets a little choppy. This is most noticeable when using the Windows 7 (x64) auto-maximize feature, when you drag a window to the top of the screen and it maximizes/minimizes it for you.

I dont play videos, games, movies, anything on this card. I just use it to help spread documents and folders across the 2 monitors, and for that it works fine.

Gigabyte MA770-UD3
AMD 64 X2 BE 7750 Kuma 2.7 w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Nvidia Asus EN9600 GT with 8400 GS running PCI-No SLI :(
G.Skill DDR2 1066 4 gb
5 TB Wes Dig. for WMC 7 Ult. 64
Corsair 750TX PSU
on October 27, 2010
For my work I write code on a couple server based platforms which do not have PCIe x16 slots (only x8 slots) and a single PCI-X slot. Up until now, I was happy with the on-board graphics controller, with its limitations in terms of resolution and performance. I just purchased a 26" 1080p LCD and to support this, I updated to this card. The installation was very easy - I disabled the on-board controller, attached my new monitor from the DVI-connector with a DVI to HDMI cable, booted and installed the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. Bingo - 1920x1080p.

I can now view 4 pages of code at one time, very easily and clearly, versus a single page before. With the on-board graphics I had to disable flash on webpages because it was soooo slow. No longer - works like a flash ;) I can play up to 1080p with players that use the GPU, like PowerDVD. Although I rarely need to do this, its nice that I can.

So if you are limited to PCI only, I highly recommend this card. I am really enjoying the 26" 1080p monitor attached to this card.
on June 4, 2010
I bought this card to upgrade the Intel display adapter on my old PC with 2.8GHZ P4, 1GB RAM and Windows 7 because my Windows Experience Index was at 1.0 with current setup.
Installed with no problem, Windows 7 downloaded the correct driver automatically. But my Windows Index jump only to 2.1 which was a big disappointment for me. I tried to over clock this card with Riva Tuner but it didn't work. I tried the simple solution: Nvidia System Tools. I was able to increase memory clock speed from 333 MHz (666) to 500MHz (1000). After that my Windows Index jumped to 3.0 :)
I'm not able to watch 1080p movies or play high end video games because my P4 works at 99% when I try to do that but now I have support for the wide screen monitors, basic video games and 720p.
This is the least expensive card at Amazon, especially with the rebate. But I've noticed that EVGA card has the memory clock already set at 500/1000Mhz (check tech details). I didn't try it, but for $5 more it's a good deal.
on February 20, 2010
this card its very cheaper and have a good power too... i'm using this card for my dell Dimension 3000 and work soo fine.
on August 18, 2009
Besides the s-video cable, hello people we get better quality from the dvi port and most hd tvs now have one or two. Card fit fine, installed in 5 minutes its a secondary card for a 3 monitor span. Btw Dell Demin. computers suck, the card is fine dell makes the weird shaped sized motherboards my friends old 2300 was like that the pci slot was offset like Dell did it on purpose b/c you didn't upgrade the computer through them. Anyways cards great, and cheap, and pci not express. Cheapest on here then tiger market, newegg, frys, and other computer depots.
on January 15, 2011
I built a HTPC from an Intel Atom motherboard I was given. After building the HTPC the Windows 7 Media Center was unusable, nothing would playback smoothly. I thought the playback problems were GPU related, so I decided to buy a PCI graphics card. The mobo has one PCI and one 1x PCIe slot. I purchased this PNY PCI card and now the HTPC works just as it should.
The only issue is the heat sink fan runs to loud for me...so I disconnected it's power plug. Since this card only runs Media Center and no games, there haven't been any heat issues.