5.0 out of 5 stars great slinky
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:29 Mins
Published 23 months ago by Torry Good

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off
Who didn't like their Slinky?

I bought an "original" one for my kids, but it was too short to go down the stairs. So then I bought this super retro original. Same deal, older box.

Published on September 28, 2010 by J.P.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off, September 28, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: POOF-Slinky - Collector's Edition Metal Original Slinky, Single Item, Black, 8-1005 (Toy)
Who didn't like their Slinky?

I found out that Slinky was sold to Proof, they shortened it by about 20% to save cash, but it doesn't work anymore. Why not just raise the price 20% and sell ones that work?

Update: Count Your Coils. The original 1945-1990? Slinky used 80 feet of steel wire, had 98 coils, and was 2.50 inches tall. The new ones (Poof) are closer to 63 feet of steel and 80 coils. Count your coils.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaves residue - Use for display only, January 3, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I loved Slinky as a child, gave one to each of my kids, and keep one on my desk at work to use when I need to think thru a problem. This particular slinky leaves a black residue on your hands that requires soap and water to wash off. It comes off so easy that I assume it would dirty your clothes too. I do not recomend this 1945 Collector's Edition for children or for anything more than a visual display. Buy the silver one if you want to handle it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something wrong., July 28, 2010
This item is black. I do not ever recall seeing a black slinky, they were all silver like uncoated metal. And yes, I was there in the 40's and played with a lot of them. Also it fails to do it's thing if your steps are 11" deep and covered with carpet. Back in the 40's the steps were less deep, at least in a row house in Philadelphia and they worked like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars great slinky, February 7, 2013
Length:: 0:29 Mins

i don't know how people are complaining about the slinky not working on the stairs. i have 13 steps on my stairs and the steps is 12inc wide and 8inc high and im able to get mine down all the way fine with no issues. as for the black coating it hasn't been coming off and nor getting every where like some reviews saying it was. i made a video and the slinky i used a different slinky in the video that been cut shorter at least lost 5 coils been cut off it and it gets down my steps fine. this is a great item.

1.0 out of 5 stars A piece of Garbage, May 17, 2014
I remember the Slinky and how much we liked it when I was a child. I read the reviews on all the Slinky's, and
they said they were shorter than the good ones were, and that they didn't go down the stairs. I finally decided on
this one, THINKING it looked a little better because it said "COLLECTOR'S EDITION METAL ORIGINAL SLINKY".
IF THAT ISN'T FALSE ADVERTISING PROVE IT, PROVE THAT IT IS THE SIZE AND QUALITY OF THE ORIGINAL
SLINKY. THE ORIGINAL SLINKY WORKED AND WENT DOWN STAIRS, THIS ONE DOES NOT. I remember the original
slicky well, it was of great quality and went down ALL steps and stairs without hesitation and was great. This is garbage in my view, inferior in my opinion, and a cheap replica that does nothing but disappoint children.

I sent it to my grandson for his birthday, and WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT, this thing does NOT go down ANY stairs, inside, or outside and SHAME on the manufacturer of this cheap item that could with little expense make it work. I am disgusted, feel victimized, and have contempt for the fact that now we cannot depend upon the quality in products that are advertised to be what they are not. Now we spend our money buying from people who are cutting quality and selling products that don't even do what they are supposed to do? This product does NOT go down stairs, which is what it is sold to do. I guess if someone sells at a high volume they don't care if children are disappointed with a gift that is worthless, after all, it is all about the money now, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars This slinky does work, August 23, 2012
I'm not sure what the reviewers who said the slinky didn't go down the stairs were talking about. My 6 and 7-year old nephews have spent the last two days playing with it constantly and they can get it to go down our carpeted stairs perfectly. They absolutely love it and have now created an obstacle course/video game of sorts on the stairs.

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Shame..., May 22, 2013
...That such a piece of wonderful nostalgia was cheapened by the manufacturer's apparent desire to cut back on the number of coils needed to have replicated the ORIGINAL toy. If you purchase this version of the toy thinking that it will actually slink down the stairs like the Slinky of the 70s, you will be disappointed. :-(

(Luckily, and truth be told, I only purchased this as a makeshift baffle to frustrate pesky backyard squirrels away from my shepard's hook-suspended bird feeder!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful product !, September 18, 2013
DO NOT buy this product. It is horrible! It is very dirty and smells as metal. It rather looks like a piece of a car engine than a toy. You would never want to touch that thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminders of childhood, July 15, 2008
Having had a couple of these unique, simple toys, was pleased to give it to my neighbours grand-daughter. Yet, she and he son played with it first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't go down the stairs, March 26, 2011
Jessica Z (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these "original" slinkies made by Proof Slinky for my son, but it was a huge disappointment. It could only go down 4, 5 stairs if we were lucky and if we did it "right" (it is supposed to be easy, isn't it?). Most of the time, it only traversed 2. I saw videos on youtube showing slinkies going down long stairs without any problem. Those videos were made in recent years in homes where the stairs look exactly like mine. I start to believe what one of the reviewers said about the new slinkies being shorter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›