4.0 out of 5 stars Ra-Hotep Rises Again
Published on January 11, 2011 by eytchorcist

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but it just didn't live up to the hype.
Got this for my grandson, and he loved the idea. But his parents both helped him with it, and the plaster still broke. They put it away until they get more plaster...which will be never. So...it was disappointing.
Published 4 months ago by C. Barker

4.0 out of 5 stars Ra-Hotep Rises Again, January 11, 2011
This review is from: POOF-Slinky 07452 Scientific Explorer Our Amazing Mummies Model Kit with Plaster and 48-Page Fun and Fact Manual, 8-Activities (Toy)
This is a fun project- my son loved every step (and there are a few- best to get into the spirit of it and break this project into separate steps over a few days). There's a cool story that runs through the manual about a robbed tomb and restoring the mummy (Ra-Hotep) to its original state. The usual Made in China catch, seems that's unavoidable these days. A few notes - work fast when casting the plaster mummy- it sets fast (we had to throw out our first attempt - the second came out great with a second adult helper). If there's one negative it's that the paint doesn't adhere well to the mummy mask. Cutting the muslin strips could also be a challenge with scissors - we used a ruler and Xacto blade. Other than that, the finished mummy looks great - just like the one on the box. We'll probably be purchasing another of these kits for the envious little brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars We LOVE this kit!, March 4, 2011
It is very easy and fun to make. We had to cast another mummy so my other little girl could make one too..she won't have a sarcophagus at the end but she will have her own mummy man. Really other than having only one sarcophagus this project could be made over and over with a little 1.99 container of plaster of paris and buck worth of linen or coffee stained cotton. We had a lot of fun with this project and I recommend it to any kid into mummies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, May 30, 2013
Bought this for an 11-yr-old budding Egypt-ologist. (Is that a word?)
She loves being able to re-use the mold and paint the features differently each time - per her thank you card.

Mold looked extremely flimsy when she opened the package. Maybe fun for a while, until the mold tears - which is likely after just a few uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, April 15, 2013
I began teaching "Story of the World" to my son and I was excited to teach him about Ancient Egyptian. I brought out this mummy kit and my son was so excited. We made a mummy out of plaster of paris, made a case, and then decorated a mummy head, wrapped a mummy with linen and decorated the coffin. This is totally worth the price. There is great book that tells you many facts about the Egyptian people too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mummy contruction set, April 16, 2014
Good set for children who have developed an interest in AE. My 9 y.o. wears an eye of horus necklace, but has yet to truly develop and interest in Ancient Egypt. However, when ready, he will love this little set. FAST shipping and a five star seller!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hunk of junk, April 7, 2014
Stupid things that are sooo hard to paint and My daughter had a nightmare she said don't buy it again

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but it just didn't live up to the hype., February 12, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars another fabulous kit, January 28, 2014
great hands on project for my 8 year old niece who became interested in mummies after a trip to the museum. can't go wrong and a great thing to do together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning if Fun, December 30, 2013
My girls loved this, so did my husband and I. We will get more plaster and muslin and make more mummies. Cutting the muslin into strips was not fun, especially with the scissors i used. The instruction booklet comes with educational information as well, so it is not just step by step instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, March 23, 2013
Yurt Mom (Four Corners, USA) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed the story and the process. Got it for an 8 year old who has interest in mummies and it was a really good activity.

Rate and Discover Movies