4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun with a little help!
Published on December 29, 2007 by Elizabeth Wolff

1.0 out of 5 stars unscientific & short on ingredients
Published on August 11, 2011 by Karen U. Hansberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun with a little help!, December 29, 2007
This review is from: POOF-Slinky - Scientific Explorer, Tasty Science Kit, 0SA248 (Toy)
My 8 year old son got this for christmas and we had a lot of fun with it! It definitely requires some adult supervision especially for the baking and the rock candy. My son had the most fun making the fizzy drinks and learning how to make soda. Although the recipe for the soda doesn't taste that great it was a lot of fun to make and he did learn all about acids and bases. The other great part of this was that these recipes are easy to recreate even if you run out of the supplies that come with the kit. The big test tubes were also fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars unscientific & short on ingredients, August 11, 2011
I'm a middle school science teacher. We got this activity for our 4-yr-old who LOVED "Magic Science" (which was fun), but don't be fooled, this activity IS NOT science. Let me start by informing you that 16 of the 34 suggested ingredients ARE NOT included in the box. They will cost you an extra trip to the grocery store. (Additionally you will have to provide the pans, bowls, plates, spoons, foil, etc.) The soda experiment is absolutely inedible (horribly bitter). The acid/base experiment DOES NOT describe how acids & bases react w/ litmus paper (that one should expect an acid to make the paper pink/red & the base to make it blue/purple), so making an educated guess is impossible. It says a neutral substance will turn litmus paper green (but litmus paper never turns green, that's pH paper, which isn't included in the box). If your child just wants to use a pipet to mix liquids then they might enjoy this activity. If you want them to actually learn something, go elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Science Kit, December 1, 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
The kids absolutely loved the science kit, but the test tubes leaked all over the place. The watermelon flavor was not tasty at all, but the grape was good. Overall it was worth it for the sheer enjoyment the kids received. The kids were 5, 6, 8 & 9 years old.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither "tasty" or "science.", December 28, 2010
Lori Collins (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Save your money. The two experiments we have done from the kit so far are duds. The so called cupakes were a complete disaster and totally unedible. The booklet referred to the cupcake "dough" at one point and cupcake "batter" at another. As anyone knows, there is no such thing as cupcake "dough." Making cupcakes requires a batter. Unfortunately, this actually WAS a dough, NOT a batter, looking more like biscuit dough. There was no instruction on how many cupcake liners to use, so we used them all on the presumption that we should use the amount included in the kit. However, there was not much "dough" so this resulted in very small amounts of dough in each liner. They baked for 10 minutes, and yet were still uncooked on the inside. We had divided the dough in half, adding baking soda to one-half as suggested to compare the difference in the cupcakes. I'm pretty sure one set of the "cupcakes" was supposed to rise and the other not; however, the only difference was the ones without baking soda became golden on the outside. Both batches were uncooked on the inside and yet hard as rocks, completely unedible. We followed the directions to a T. I cannot help but wonder where they got this cupcake recipe, as I have never eaten cupcakes that did not have eggs in them or that did not come from a batter. My daughter was very disappointed, thinking there was going to be a tasty treat at the end of this experiment. Instead, they went in the trash.

Today, we did the experiment with bases, neutrals and acids in the testtubes using the so-called litmus paper. There was is nothing telling the kids what should happen to litmus paper; i.e., should it turn a different color for acid and if so, what color? Should it turn a different color for a base and if so, what color? We put drops of water on the paper and got no change. I figure that's normal, but when we put lime juice on another litmus paper, there was no change and it looked exactly the same as the paper with the water on it. The only substance that turned the litmus paper a color, which was purple, was the baking soda water. Also, if we got our fingerprints on it while it was wet, it would turn purple. I'm no professional scientist, but I am pretty sure water and citric acid should not give the exact same results on litmus paper, so I can only conclude this experiment was another dud; however, we cannot be sure since nothing in the booklet states what should happen to the paper or why.

I cannot believe this piece of crap was nearly $30.00 at the particular store where I got it. It was a complete waste of money from an educational standpoint. One might say, oh well, it is fun time well spent togehter, but the child's disappointment over the failure of the stuff to work, and my irritation at having been out nearly 30 bucks, did not make for quality time together.

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, January 18, 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to use with my 7 year old son, and I had high hopes for this item based on other reviews and the price, however:

-The litmus paper for acid/base experiment do not work
-The recipe for the "soda" is not drinkable, in the least
-Powders for rock candy were supposed to be colored, but were not
-Materials are flimsy
-The booklet is merely instructions, no teaching of the "science" involved.

I haven't finished trying the other experiments and I am not sure I will.

You could look these "experiments" up yourself and do a much better job of rounding up the materials and educational information, with less stress and better results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Instruction book needs a little work., July 23, 2010
My daughter likes the kit and the products within are good. However, when completing the first experiment three results appear. The book tells you that "you will see one is a base, an acid and one is neutral". Well, the book never tells which is which. This is the only thing we've done so far, but as a parent, this is frustrating especially when your child really wants to learn something about science.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not very tasty, January 21, 2011
I bought this for my 7 year old son for Christmas. We were very excited to get it out of the box and try it out. Our first project was the soda, it was simple enough to make, but the taste was horrible, even though we followed instructions and added more flavoring for taste. The cupcakes and cookies had the same result.

The instruction booklet it comes with does hold some educational value, and if you do all the steps in order, it can be a fun learning process. Just don't expect your child to be willing to eat the projects!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, April 22, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
My Son gave this to another Child as a Birthday gift as the Boy's Mother told me he loves science. I ran into his Mom the other day and she said that Michael LOVES this. Her only complaint was that you do the experiment once and that is it. Perhaps a refill kit is needed? Since she gave it such a great review, I am thinking of getting one for my Science loving Son if he gets a good report card at the end of the year. Heck, I will probably get it anyway just so I can make (and eat) the rock candy ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars science kit, February 14, 2010
This kit is not what I thought it was going to be. The plastic petry dishes broke almost right away because they were made out of such thin cheap plastic. The plastic tubes do not seal very well, therefore liquid leaks from them. And most the experiments are not tasty, but actually very yucky. I purchased this for my 10 yr old daughter and she required lots of help to complete the experiements.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Science, Not so tasty, March 31, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Scientific Explore has great kits and usually if you follow the direction you would come away with great results, however this one did not turn out so great. The cookie dough was not consistant. We had a long time getting it to stick together and the dough just kept coming apart we had to improvise a little. The finished product tasted ok. The cupcakes work out well. They don't keep very long. You have to eat them right away otherwise,they'll spoil. The rock crystal candy never harden. I don't like to give such a bad review, because I like all Scientific Explore's products. Maybe someone else will have better success with this product.

POOF-Slinky - Scientific Explorer, Tasty Science Kit, 0SA248