4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Fun
Published on January 3, 2008 by Santa Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars FUN but instructions were not very clear
Published on March 4, 2008 by momof2

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Fun, January 3, 2008
This review is from: POOF-Slinky - Scientific Explorer Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit, 13-Activities, 0SA230 (Toy)
Although some of the experiments take time to see the results, it's been fun doing them with my son. He is 11 years old and VERY MUCH into science this year. One of his interests is crystals. Fortunately, this kit comes with a few VERY FAST immediate result experiments that were fun to do. Some take up to three days, but they are worth the wait. It does take some adult supervision, but they are very educational. Even my 4 and 6 year old girls are interested in the projects. The directions are easy to follow and all the materials needed are included in the kit. I highly recommend this kit if your child is interested in crystals and watching them grow. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for the inquisitive kid!!, November 7, 2007
Diane Szlucha "dianesz" (Owego, NY United States) - See all my reviews
The Scientific Explorer's Ultimate Crystal Growining Science Kit Scientific Explorer's Ultimate Crystal Growing Science Kitis a great kit for variety and interaction. I got this for my 8 year old grandson who is a real science 'explorer' and he just loved it. He was into the kit and growing crystals before you could say Jack Robinson. (Okay, that's an old saying!) He loved that there were so many to grow and all the varieties kept him interested. He is a real fan of science experiments and this kit just kept him involved and enthused through all of the kinds of crystals he was growing. It is a real value for the price and I know that any child interested in science will like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent kit!, January 21, 2009
I bought this kit for my rock crazy wife, and she's having a blast making crystals! She's 64 years old. The crystals she's grown so far are nice sized. The instructions are crystal clear and simple. Measure the chemicals, measure the boiling water, and pour it in a plastic cup is more or less the difficulty of the experiments, and then wait a few days. The longer your willing to be patient, the bigger the crystals. I got her a bunch of little plastic jars to keep them in. She is really happy with this Christmas gift, and I'm having fun looking at them to! Think I'll buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST AWSOME, November 12, 2008
I actually purchased 2 of these kits. I bought one for a gift for Christmas for one of my sons and one for myself and my youngest son to see what it would be like. IT WAS AND IS A BLAST. It grows really beautiful crystals. To get really good ones you need to wait longer than it says in the instructions but its worth the wait. You can watch them grow and change and its really educational and fun. I am definitely going to buy more when this kit is gone as its lots of fun. The only downside is that you can not purchase the different packs of crystal growing stuff separately if there is a crystal that you enjoy growing more.

4.0 out of 5 stars crystal set, February 16, 2011
I gave the ultimate crystal set to my very smart 7 year old neice for a Christmas present. I asked today what she liked or did not like about the crystal set. Overall, she LOVED the set but thought that the instructions were not as clear as they could be. She had two experiments in the kitchen she and her dad had made and she was quite excited about the results.
Hope this review is helpful.
denise

3.0 out of 5 stars FUN but instructions were not very clear, March 4, 2008
We bought this crystal kit to help us with a Science fair project for my 2nd grader and although it was a huge hit with the science fair it was not very good as far as instructions go. One of the crystals didn't even grow and my husband is pretty good with science. Also the containers were not big enough to hold the chemicals plus the growing crystals. The blue Geode was my daughters favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Experience, March 13, 2012
Rollin Strode (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This was a great learning experience for our grandsons. They were able to place the crystals in the dishes and then watch them grow. They had a great time checking their dishes each day and watching the crystals grow in the dish. We would recommend this kit to anyone who has a child who is inquisitive and eager to learn new things. The boys really enjoyed the experience of watching their crystals develop.

1.0 out of 5 stars It was bad experience for us, July 17, 2013
It was my second order of the Kit for my grandchildren. The first order was made in November 2012 and my grandchildren enjoyed it. The second order of 'Ultimate Cristal Growing Kit' in March 2013 was a real failure. In spite of previous successful experience, we could not grow several crystals. My grandchildren and I noticed strong and unpleasant odor coming from chemicals enclosed in the box. It is likely some deficiencies in chemicals prevented us from growing crystals. We realized too late (after May 2013) and could not return this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just limit expectations, January 4, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this kit for my grandkids. I was excited about getting them interested in science. But first of all, the kit smells when you open the box and has a smell while storing it. We followed the directions completely and started with the blue sapphire crystals. Our experience was that even with the perfect shaped rock, doing as the directions state and waiting days and days for the liquid to evaporate, you get crystals that don't adhere to the rock, are colored only by what seems to be blue dye and if you wash it off at all, the color washes away. The color stains your hands and leaves a mess. While making one crystal, you can't start another one while the plastic cup is being used, since it's the only for certain crystals and you must try to find a cup the same size as the small plastic cup if you want to make another crystal.

This kit was pricey with the shipping and handling and I can think of other scientific things that would benefit children more. I ended up giving the kit away and for me, it seemed a waste of money. I was disappointed and so were the kids. With kids' short attention span, they are not excited about waiting a week to watch a crystal grow!

Overall, I would not recommend this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't grow crystals, January 7, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My 10 year old son requested this gift for x-mas and is very disappointed. We tried 3 times to "grow" crystals. All we got were flat pancakes. We followed the instructions - but no crystals ever grew. After the 3 times, he was done with trying and, like I said, very disappointed.