Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PORTER-CABLE 314 4.5 Amp 4-1/2-Inch Trim Saw
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on April 26, 2006
I am disappointed with this purchase.

I was looking forward to having a great new tool to work with this weekend. I've never owned anything by Porter-Cable, so I was looking forward to a quality tool. But I disovered problems that made me spend a couple hours trying to figure out what if anything is wrong. Now I'm going to have to find out how to get it repaired or just send it back. This, I'm sure, will take another couple hours and maybe I won't have the tool for several weeks.

The problem is that the extended blade guard rubs up against the saw blade. The edge of the saw blade comes very close to this guard. It has very little clearance on one side and a lot of clearance on the other side. It makes contact when adjusting the depth of cut. I really don't want to see what happens when the blade is spinning at 4,500 RPM and hits this guard. Not to mention if I get a blade with thicker carbide teeth.

Other problems: I had to add a little oil. After following instuctions to check oil level, I determined that some gear oil was needed. Also, there is some cheesy looking stop bolt on the bottom of the saw body that contacts the sole plate at the deepest cut setting. This looks like it doesn't belong.

The manual is very poor. The diagrams are hard to read. I had trouble identifying parts. I had assumed that Porter-Cable would be made in the US. Wrong. Made in Mexico.

I wish someone made a quality corded trim saw. I'm probably not going to use it enough to justify a rechargeable system. Also, I think I would be a little more careless with a cordless cutting tool.
It's really a pity that this saw is no longer made. I bought mine over 20 years ago, and since then it's built cabinets in my house, remodeled a friend's restaurant, and been loaned out many time. It's light, powerful, and cuts very smoothly with no vibration. If you're making cabinetry and not cutting 2x lumber you really don't need a 7-1/2" saw. This unit is smaller, lighter, and a real pleasure to use. I'm hoping I can keep mine going for another decade or two.
One very usefull little trim saw! Worm drive works very well and seems to handle anything lite. You can not cut a 2x4 with this so don't buy it thinking you can.

The only thing porter cable should have done with it is to have provided a box for it, It was designed way back in the 30's or 40's and to this date 2007, they still do not have a box???....A Shame!

The saw is much to easy to break or bend if not placed in some kind of case when transporting it. The size of this saw makes it very hard to find just the right size as well....

But we have to give the tool itself 5 star because it works very very well!

A bit on the "To high priced side" with out a storage however!
on November 30, 2006
Tough motor and casing, but a small bump can tweak the base out of alignment. If you're wanting to use a clamped straight edge as a guide, you'll have to measure to make sure the base isn't tweaked, then you'll have to measure an offset of 1 5/16" to one side, or 3 21/32" on the other. Come on -- what's wrong with 1.5 or 3.5? Who the heck designed this base anyway. A mixed bag for a lot of bucks.
on November 16, 2011
I have had the saw for probably 6 or 8 years.. It is a great saw... Only one issue with it now. Take the time to try and find a 4 1/2 inch carbide blade for it. I can not get them locally and have only found a couple of places on the internet that seem to have old stock. It is easier to find a non-carbide blade... but that does not do this saw any justice for it's versatility.
on November 6, 2006
I've been doing cabinet installation for 22 years and this is my third Porter Cable trim saw and I wouldn't buy any other.
on September 2, 2007
PC bought the rights to this saw from Rockwell. I bought this (Rockwell) saw used four years ago and it is still going strong. There were a few flaws which they seemed to have fixed. The blade had cut a groove in the sole plate at the 45 degree angle and the power cord has pulled out a bit.

But over all the saw is strong and easy to use. You can just tell it is a quality design.

My major use is on plywood but anytime I need to cut overhead this is chosen over my Skil Saw (16 lbs). It is not a chore to get this saw out to cut plywood and I don't have to lug a big saw around. A good blade and this saw has made my life a lot easier. A good tool.

Jon
on September 16, 2008
I don't know who is reviewing this saw but I make my living with these tools and I purchased 2 of these based on Porter Cables reputation to replace my Makita trim saws. I live in New Jersey and these saws are filled with gear oil which in the winter means unless you heat them up, they burn themselves up trying to turn the gear oil in the cold weather. After I realized this I put light weight oil in the other one which helped but it still burnt up with a fine cut high tooth count blade due to low motor power. I don't need a trim saw to turn a rough cut rip blade, I need it to turn a trim blade which this one does not! 2 burnt up saws = bad review!
on May 10, 2007
I used this saw in a cabinetry shop to do a lot of scribing. It obviously can't do the turns a jigsaw can, but man, if you've got 20 kick skins to scribe, and uneven floors all over, this baby will get it done more accurately and quicker than anything.
There are all kinds of tricks to do with it to customize to whatever you're trimming.
on November 2, 2011
I bought mine used, but it looks new and it works flawlessly. It's smaller size and less torque make it a joy to use. Don't confuse smaller with flimsy. This is just as well made, accurate, and easy to use as the big ones. It just shouts top quality. Another thing is the blades. The thin size reduces chip out, and they are cheaper.

See 1 answered question