4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Saw

Published on May 9, 2000 by Toolpig

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Saw, December 7, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: PORTER-CABLE 345 Saw Boss 9 Amp 6-Inch Circular Saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
Having blade on left side allows you to more easily see your cut. Exhaust nozzle directs sawdust away from face. Connecting a vacuum or dust collector to it will get most of the sawdust, but hose may get in the way. Nicely balanced, but would have appreciated a top handle like some others have. Depth adjustment locking lever requires significant force upward to unlock. Despite these minor nits, I really like the compactness of the saw and its smooth cutting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased After 3 Years, January 4, 2001
Mikell M. Todd Jr. (Lake Waccamaw, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned this saw for about 3 years now. I have found it to be very dependable. I originally purchased this saw for use as a trim saw, but have found it works well for nearly every task.2 X lumber is no problem, even at a 45 degree angle (a 5 1/2' saw will not cut 2 X stock at 45 deg.). Although I have a 7 1/4 circular saw, I find myself using this saw 99% of the time- its size and weight make it a more enjoyable tool to use. The only problem I have with this tool is that it should be offered with a case, as the larger P.C. Frame Saw's are sold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, May 9, 2000
I purchased my sawboss a couple of years ago. It's handy to have around. lots of power for its size. It cuts 2x lumber at 45 degrees. I like the dust chute, especially when it's hooked up to a shopvac.So why don't I give it 5 stars? It doesn't run smoothly. Too much slop in the gears I guess. In fact ,the main bearing went out and sheared off all the teeth on the arbor. Porter Cable fixed it alright, but it still runs rough. I bought a Skil 5 1/2" trim saw for 20.00 at a pawn shop that cuts circles around the saw boss. You wouldn't believe it since the saw boss has a 9 amp motor and the little skil is around 6.5 but it's true. New blades, old blades Pine , oak ,plywood it doesn't make any difference the Skil blows it away .It feels like the skil is gliding through the cut whereas the PC is beating through with a square blade by comparison.It not only cuts faster, it cuts smoother due to less blade runout.I thought maybe it was just my saw that was bad so I tried some others out. Same thing . Fellow sawboss owners, I'm sorry ,this is all true. If you're looking for a small saw , I recommend the 5 1/2" skil. If toolcrib doesn't have it, try the Bosch , it's the same saw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but hard to find replacement blades, January 17, 2000
By A Customer
I have used the Saw Boss for home maintenance tasks for about the last 5-6 years. It is clearly a well made tool: it has a solid feel to it. It cuts 2x lumber at a 45 degree angle with one pass and has sufficient power. I like the fact that it is much lighter than many 7 1/4 inch circular saws. Also, the dust nozzle can direct the stream of sawdust in any direction you choose. However, if I had to do it over again I would probably buy a high-end 7 1/4 inch saw, such as a Porter Cable or a De Walt. My reason for this is the difficulty in finding 6-inch saw blades. Few places carry them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but does the job., August 27, 2002
Dorothy Gamble "dgamble" (Sylva, NC United States) - See all my reviews
The saw is well worth its price. It will rip through PT without slowing down. One of the reasons that I bought it was because the blade is on the left side of the motor and I really like that feature. The blade's cut is visable without craning my neck. The angle and depth for the blade adjustment are a snap to use and changing the blade is easy enough too. The little sawdust shoot has clogged up a couple of times, but it was simple and quick to remove and clean out. I am a woman, so the weight of the saw was an important detail. This saw handles beautifully. It is lightweight, but does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yow!, June 27, 2002
Gregory S Brown (Richardson, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Nice little saw. MUCH easier to handle than my 7.25" B&D. I don't miss the difference in cutting depth since I really only cut sheet goods and 2x4's with it. The thin kerf blade really zips through 3/4" plywood with little tearing. The stamped sheet metal base is a little wimpy--would have preferred cast aluminum--but it works fine, really. All adjustments are easy and precise. The dust collection pipe works well, too. I would buy it again. Minus one star for the base--picky, picky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Saw, February 13, 2001
I love this saw ,the dust nozzle is a great feture , this saw combines all the good features that you need , you have more them ample power, blade on the left for increased cutting accurcacy and compared to all the other skil saws ive used this saw is very lite wieght, espically compared to the mag77 and older skil profesonal with all steel housing and shoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, Light, and Powerful, December 16, 2005
In 1992 after finally realizing that a cheap circular saw wasn't worth the bother, I bought a Makita 5007NB which was great for pretty much everything. Then I learned about Porter-Cable and how well they design their power tools, especially for the professional woodworker. When I found out about the Saw-Boss I was impressed with the built in system for dust collection, its lower weight, and how well it cut with its 9 Amp motor. Porter-Cable chose the 6 inch blade as the smallest size which would still cut 2X lumber through at 45 degrees. And who else would give you an anti-splinter insert, lever locks, and angle zeroing screw as standard? When Bosch wanted $30 for a rip fence for my Model 1654, the Saw-Boss fence was available for less than $10 at my local Home Depot.

I went in to cut off eleven closet and bathroom doors in a luxury condo where the owner had put in extra thick padding with new carpeting and couldn't move any doors at all. Because I had my Saw-Boss with dust bag, I was able to get the work done without spending two additional hours cleaning up all the wood dust. And it saved me from considering the task of hauling all eleven doors thirty flights down to the outside where I could afford to make a mess. The owner was watching me too, and she was mighty impressed that I was so neat and tidy.

The only drawback to the Saw-Boss is that the premium blade makers have ignored the 6 inch size. You can buy a plywood, 18 tooth carbide, and a 40 tooth carbide blade from Porter-Cable and that's about all. Looking at the bright side, however, these blades from P-C are excellent and pretty much do everything for me that I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy and Lightweight. Great for trim and cabinets., April 29, 2000
With a durable design and its light weight, this saw is great for the hobbyist. This saw will last for a long time. Since the circular saw is one of the most used tools in many shops, the extra money of buying this one will be worth it.
PROS
** Light Weight.
** Well balanced.
CONS
** Lacks cutting depth.
** Blades are fairly hard to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built like a tank., April 5, 2009
I bought this saw back in 1996 and I don't think I could be happier with it. Being that 99.9% of the time I cut nothing more than sheet goods or 2x material at 45º the small size and light weight of the Saw Boss is perfect for me. That being said and as much as I love and recommend this saw if you often have the need to cut stock of thicker dimensions than the Saw Boss is capable of then obviously a good 7 1/4" would definitely be the way I' go.

The strong points of this saw are most importantly the small size, light weight and right-hand drive. In my younger days on jobsites I "prided" myself on being "the man" slinging around heavy tools like they were nothing but in my older and much wiser days I truly appreciate the virtues of something smaller and lighter but still as capable. This saw is an absolute pleasure to use and the right-hand drive gives us righties a perfect view of the cut line.

As for negatives I personally don't have any. This saw, as with any and every tool, has limits and within those limits it excels. Some have stated the lack of blade options as a negative but I must disagree. Not only does Porter Cable offer an 18T rip and and 40T crosscut blade ( I have both and they are more than acceptable) but Freud also offers both a 20T rip and 40T crosscut blade. Truthfully, what more do you need for a circular saw?

As for the comments about the saw being underpowered I honestly don't understand how that can be. I'm not out to call anyone a liar but any sort of 2x material is no match for 9 full amps and a thin kerf carbide blade - my personal experience has confirmed that repeatedly.

All said and done if the majority of your sawing involves nothing more than 2x at 90º or 45º and/or sheet goods then I think you'd truly appreciate the beauty of the Saw Boss and I'd venture to say it would be a welcome addition to your gang box or garage but if you frequently saw anything out the the Saw Boss's limits then it, again obviously, would be a questionable investment for me or anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›