4.0 out of 5 stars PC Router Dust collector

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for use with a dove tail jig
Published on June 15, 2002 by Ron Petersen

4.0 out of 5 stars PC Router Dust collector, August 3, 2001
C. Tang "P7M13 User" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PORTER-CABLE 39690 Dust Collection System for 100/690/691/693 Routers (Tools & Home Improvement)
Several parts make up the dust collector kit. They are used in various combinations to route the face or edge of a work piece and to accommodate guide bushings. An adapter piece is included so the dust collector may be used with the new Porter Cable edge guides. All of the necessary screws are included with the kit.The heart of the kit is the vacuum base. It�s about ˝" thick and replaces the standard sub-base. With this added thickness you�ll loose a bit of depth capacity. This might be a problem with some shorter bits. The dust chute exits the side of the vacuum base when surface routing. A short adapter is screwed to the side of the base and accepts a standard 1-1/2" shop vac hose. You need to think ahead and orient the base in the best position for your needs. Since the 690 sub-base is attached with three screws, the vacuum base can be mounted in any of three positions with respect to the router body.
Some forethought must be given to the setup, especially with the plunge base. With the various hose connections sticking out from the base, you might need to walk through the routing operation to make sure nothing is in the way of getting the job done.A clear cover is attached to the top of the base with three machine screws. The cover surrounds the bit area, keeping chips from flying out and away from the bit. The shaft hole in the cover may be smaller than the diameter of some cutters. Take care not to raise the cutter into the cover. It worked pretty well with my Jet dust collector hooked up with Porter Cable hose. The only reason for giving a 4-star is the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for use with a dove tail jig, June 15, 2002
Ron Petersen "Action Fool" (Little River, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased a "D" handle PC 691 to use with the PC 24" Omnijig. Because I have a small shop dust collection is a major objective. This dust collection system works, at best, marginally when using the Omnijig. The lower collection enclosure cannot be used. The side port collects minimal shavings. I still use the system and from time to time turn off the vacumm to gauge if it is worth the setup. Yes, it does collect some of the chips, but probably not worth the price if the dust collection system is exclusively used with an Omnijig application. The PC 691 is exclusively used for dove tail work in my shop. If I'm missing something here I'd welcome correction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, December 3, 2001
A. Parent (San Jose, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I've been doing a lot of MDF work lately and using my flush trim bit A LOT. The dust MDF creates is incredible and I got tired of being covered in it and having it cover everything in my garage. Hooked up to my Ridgid shop vac, not one speck of MDF dust escaped this PC dust collection system. WOW! On a side note, I do recommend getting a softer, less rigid hose as the stiffer ones typically provided with shop vacs can interfere with smooth handling of the router. I am comfortable with the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 11, 2004
I hooked it up to my vacuum and it eliminated virtually all mess! That's so pleasant given the tremendous whirlwind of debris generated by routing.
You have to think ahead and determine just how the cuts are going to be made and where you need to look. This hood can get in the way of your cut, either hitting some other piece of material, the blade, blocking your vision etc. It takes a little time to get used to but as long as you think ahead it can make a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dust Collection, April 3, 2007
J. BOWLES (Maitland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
After reading all of the reviews, I ordered this accessory despite the negative reviews. I used the sub-base and routed dovetails in cypress on a PC 4210 jig. It did not get all of the dust, but it got most of it. Without dust collection, I am normally covered in saw dust as is the surrounding area. With the dust collection, the amount that escaped suction was minimal. I did not experience any clogging issues. I have only tried cypress so far so I can't say if clogging is an issue with other woods. If you're looking for perfection, then you probably won't be happy. If you're looking for a major improvement over no dust collection, then I think you will be very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars An accessory that works!, November 9, 2006
I put off buying one of these for years, until a friend told me how well his works. Tired of the vast dust cloud in my basement shop when routing MDF, I finally pulled the trigger. I am very impressed with this unit! It installed quickly and easily on my PC690. Using the edge routing cup, I flush trimmed some Formica on an MDF substrate. The only dust that escaped was when the vacuum hose fell off. (A small piece of masking tape solved that problem.) I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I just wish I hadn't waited so long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, August 2, 2013
Does exactly what I would expect a dust collection system to do; collects dust and debri and now I have to put more words down so I can finish this thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Collects what?, March 19, 2007
60will "W V Roos" (Midvale, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
Set up the collecter on a P C 690 with a 1/2 inch 2 flute straight cutting bit. Bit was out of the collecter base 7/8 inch. Hooked up a 6 gallon Sear's vaccuum and the collecter proceded to not work. It immediatly jamed with chips. I cleaned the collecter and rechecked my setup, it should work,but jammed immediatly. To be fare the collecter might work ok on things like MDF, Particle board or Masonite but dont try anything that makes any amount of chips. I havent tryed the edge routing attachment, but I cant see how it would work much better.

Will R.