5.0 out of 5 stars This is a quality compressor for the homeowner
Published on January 8, 2008 by HightechZ71

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails repeatedly
Published on April 1, 2012 by 2c4fhr

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a quality compressor for the homeowner, January 8, 2008
This review is from: PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased this item from Lowes just because I had seen this item manufactured on How It's Made on the Science Channel and took note that many steps were taken during manufacturing to insure a good end product. I have other compressors at my home including a 60 Gallon 240 Volt professional grade compressor but this portable compressor is a great product. It is compact, light, powerful, is stable and balanced when running, and has a cutoff pressure of 150 P.S.I. that helps it stay well ahead of the performance game. I use it whenever I want a portable air source, it is as convenient to transport as a portable vacuum cleaner. I would recommend this to any homeowner who needs a reliable, convenient source of compressed air. Additionally, it has two output quick connectors and very nice gauges and regulator. It is my first oil-less air compressor and I am satisfied with it's performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: Nice Compressor, with some Caveats, May 18, 2009
Ordered this compressor for odd-jobs and basic 'inflation' duty around the house. Car tires, bike tires, and air mattresses... Very handy to have around. Unit is VERY light, much more easy to transport than I was expecting. Loud compared to my old 20gallon oiled compressor unit, but not unbearable.

Takes about 2 minutes from empty to full pressure cutoff. Very happy with the quality of the construction, clean looking unit and the 2 air outlets are a definite plus.

No hose is included with this kit, contrary to the attached picture. Better off going with the base kit and getting nicer accessory items than buying the full kit and paying a premium for 25ft of hose and a few cheap bits.

EDITED MARCH 28, 2011:

I broke the compressor in according to the information I read online (Run 15mins with the drain valve open to prevent pressure build up). So far it's still working fine for me.

One of my BIGGEST complaints, and the reason I've dropped a star off the review is the fact that the Hose Connections (2 of them, which is nice feature at this price) are attached directly to the gauge panel. The unfortunate part about this is that if the hose gets pulled, the whole gauge panel will rotate on the threaded air output from the tank. So far, it's happened to me about 3-4 times and it hasn't caused a problem-- but I'd really have to reconsider this for a medium duty environment. It's only a matter of time before it begins to leak.

2nd-- The compressor, for it's size, is just too LOUD. It's so loud and vibrates so much, that on any smooth surface (Concrete, Wood Floor) it'll actually vibrate the whole unit in a circular motion. Not a huge deal if you're not working in a tight space, but it's annoying to continually have to monitor the compressors position in my shop and pull it away from the wall. It does have thick rubber feat, but they just can't compensate.

I can't recommend it as whole-heartedly as I did before. For 150 dollars, I'd recommend saving a few more dollars and putting it toward a better quality/capacity unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails repeatedly, April 1, 2012
This is my first review. I never seem to have time to write them, though I always read (and appreciate) the reviews that others have taken the time to write. My turn. So I am a professional residential remodeler. As you might imagine, I possess quite a stable of tools. And if not for one MAJOR flaw, I would continue to use and recommend this compressor. It clearly is not designed for significant framing activity. But its size and oil-less feature, make it ideal for trim work and small framing projects, EXCEPT for the fact that the drain valve on the bottom of the tank fails - over and over again.

I bought my first unit some 3 years back used it happily, if irregularly for over a year. Then the valve failed. I assumed it was a one-off thing and, given the reasonable price, bought another one. This time I got it at Home Depot since I needed one immediately. I used that for some many months (6-9?) and the valve failed again. I returned it and bought another one. Some 4-6 months later, it happened AGAIN. It always seems to happen in the middle of a project and I need to quickly go replace it. With a receipt, I haven't had an issue replacing it since I don't want to just throw it away and lose out on my "investment".

But darn if my FOURTH PC pancake compressor didn't just fail in the exact same manner just last week. That makes FOUR of these units that have all failed in the exact same way. I can't believe PC doesn't know about, and hasn't rectified this problem. It surely can't just be my bad luck. For someone who occasionally uses this compressor, maybe it will last for years before the valve fails. But it clearly can't handle any reasonably regular usage. And I should add that I always drain my tank after each usage. I don't let the air, remain in the tank and condense and rust the tank so it isn't a maintenance issue.

I wish this valve wasn't made so poorly because it renders the whole unit useless - it can't be site remedied with any ease or efficacy. I would otherwise have enjoyed keeping this tool in my arsenal. I guess I need to look elsewhere for my portable, oil-less compressor needs....

So

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value, September 16, 2007
I recently purchased this for my father, we work on a cabin in Canada, using a generator, and we wanted lightweight as we haul items in and out by boat. Also, the generator is not that large (3000 watt) and it handled this compressor without any problem. I previously purchased an oil-lubed compressor for myself (PC, 2.5 hp, dual tank, model CPLDC2540S), because I wanted something quite. I was surprised when I turned this compressor on, as it seems quieter than mine!! It also weighs less than mine!
There is 1 minute of assembly requiring a phillips screwdriver, but it was fairly easy (attach the motor to the tank, although the hose is already attached).
I think it is a good buy from of a good brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away, don't even think about it, June 13, 2010
I have owned this compressor for over a year, used it on 3 or 4 finish nailer projects around my house. Started leaking air bad. Ordered the replacement parts (tube and a "gasket") and I can see why it leaked. Once I disassembled it I could see that the parts were cheaply made - both the originals as well as the replacement parts. Rather than fix it, and probably have the same thing happen very soon - I opted to junk it and purchase a portable Ingersoll Rand compressor. Talk about night and day!!

I own quite a few tools, including another Craftsman compressor. Craftsman gets a bad rap sometimes, and sometimes it is deserved, but I've had my Craftsman compressor for years. It's a big one, not portable though - which is why I replaced this piece of junk PC Compressor with an Ingersoll Rand model.

I would advise anyone / everyone not to buy this compressor. It was the first Porter Cable tool I purchased, and based on the quality - I will not be buying any more products from this company. I had thought about a couple different woodworking products that are made by Porter Cable, but no longer even considering it!!

04-19-2013 Update - Old Craftsman and newer Ingersoll Rand compressor are still working great. I use one or the other about every day, no problems whatsoever. Run from this PC compressor!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad parts - do not buy, August 29, 2012
C002 has a manifold that after 1 year a back compression screw comes out. The screws threads are short, so when you try to put it back in, it strips, costing you $44 plus shipping for a new manifold.

Check out their web site, this manifold is back ordered and you can't even get it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Call the service technician!, January 8, 2011
Bougth this comnpressor thinking it would be ideal for trim work. When I plugged it in to start, the hose from the compressor to the tank heated up and air came out between the compressor and the tank. Directions on the packaging states if this happens, call a service technician. This is a brand new compressor, what's with the defect?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, January 31, 2009
This product provides a higher flow rate at 90psi and a larger capacity (6gal) than any other model in the price range. I even looked at some no-name brands from Harbor freight tools and they didn't even come close to the value

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Value!!, February 1, 2010
M. Perry (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I am a picture framer and needed a new compressor to operate my v-nailer for picture frame assembly. When my $600 Italian-made air compressor died, I was in a quandry as to what to do.. I needed a compressor that could operate from a wall outlet (15amp) I needed a tank of at least 6 gallons and I needed a compressor that would put out at least 110lb of pressure... I thought that my only recourse was another $600 Italian-made compressor... I looked on Amazon and there was my answer! This machine is a dream to use and is not as loud as some reviewers suggest.. It's maintenance free, all you have to do is drain the tank after use. It has a seperate control for the pressure to the tool you are using it for, and if you wanted, you could have another line going to another tool... For the price this item is a GREAT VALUE! I like it much better than my crazy $600 compressor that simply froze up after only medium use..

UPDATE: A year later and it still works like a dream!! I would definitely recommend this great compressor!

5.0 out of 5 stars compressor, June 25, 2009
We use this compressor with a small numbering machine we sell.
We have purchased over 20 of these units over the past years without any problems.This compressor fits perfectly under the machine.
We use to purchase them from Lowes or Home Depot, however the price from Amazon is much better and they deliver.