POWERTEC OS1000 18" Oscillating Spindle Sander
Price:$239.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 3, 2010
After "oscillating" for more than two months of research I decided to purchase the Powertec 1000 sander. Although oscillating spindle sanders have been around for a long time, they are usually a late addition to the home shop. With many choices and price ranges available it is important to balance cost with benefit. I choose to look in the $200 to $400 price range. While I wanted a tilting table it was not available in a package that offered the number of spindles that Powertec includes. I needed the variety of spindles (1/2 to 3 inches) more than the tilting table so I chose the Powertec. For those times I need to sand a bevel I can use my old drum sanders in the drill press. I determined that for the foreseeable future the Powertec should be fine. The Craftsman tool appears to be the same machine in a different color. The Powertec costs less.
It arrived only four days after ordering; well packaged, in undamaged condition, fully assembled and ready to go out of the box. No parts were missing. After reading the manual and degreasing the table I began to check for quality control. The 18 inch diameter table is cast iron with no warping (a precision straight edge was used to verify) and square to the primary spindle which is centered in the table orifice. It would be a little safer if the edge of the table were slightly beveled as it comes somewhat sharp. This can be easily done by the owner. The one inch stroke is longer than most other entry level machines. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the table inserts were made of steel. They fit perfectly with no shimming required. Changing of spindles is simple with a knob that is easy to use. Machines costing much more often require a wrench. Although the body housing is plastic it is sturdy and does not vibrate during operation. Indeed, this machine is very quiet. The .4 HP motor operates smoothly at 1725 RPM with 30 strokes per minute. While I personally dislike keyed safety switches this one operates well. On a number of tools, dust collection seems to have been added an afterthought. That is not the case on this machine. According to the owner's manual, use of a dust collection system is "highly recommended." An integral fan is included to eject saw dust out of the 2 inch port. I attached this to my system with a shop vac hose. I was very pleased as the machine's table insert, fan, plenum, and vacuum port worked with my dust collector to remove almost every bit of dust during sanding. I never thought sanding could be a pleasure but I am starting to believe it now! This machine is still brand new but I highly recommend it from my experience thus far. I think you will get your money's worth and then some.
Powertec Oscillating Spindle Sander

Here's what you get:

- Oscillating Spindle Sander model OS1000
- 5 rubber sandpaper drums; 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2", 3" (½" sleeve mounts directly on the steel spindle)
- 6 (red) table inserts (½", ¾", 1", 1½", 2" and 3") matching the drum size being used
- 5 drum washers, 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2", 3"
- 6 abrasive sleeves, 80 grit (½, 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2", 3")
- 1 spindle knob

Pros:

- Machine has virtually no vibration and runs very smoothly; similar to a sewing machine on very low speed. Mine has no perceptible run-out and the spindle is square to the table from all directions.

- The 18" cast iron top is adequately sized for all but the largest projects and is perfectly flat. Being round, the work piece is supported the same from all sides.

- Weighs about 50 pounds. Pick it up by grabbing the cast iron top. Has cord-wrap brackets for the 110v cord.

- Can be used on a table/bench (has 4 rubber feet), or permanently mounted. It has four holes for 3/8" bolts, but be very careful to not over-tighten, so as to not bend or crack the plastic case.

- Sanding sleeves are 4.5" long, so for many projects, the top of the sleeve won't be used. The sleeves can be quickly flipped end over end to balance wear. Amazon and others sell these sleeves in various grits for a reasonable price.

- Changing sanding sleeves is quick and easy - under 30 seconds. For a different size, change the table insert, choose a rubber drum & sanding sleeve, and the correct sized drum washer - and tighten using the spindle knob.

- Works very well. Sanding sleeve is dead center in the cast iron top, a sleeve stays on drum, the motor is adequately powered, and machine operation is just what I expected.

- Has a 1" spindle stroke (cheaper machines sometimes have shorter strokes).

- The built-in dust pickup actually WORKS! 100% of the suction comes from under the sanding sleeve. I have a 13-amp shop vac, an Oneida Dust Deputy, and a HEPA filter - and after my first project, there was no discernable dust in the air or surrounding surfaces - not even a dust smell. As others have noted, you'll probably need to experiment with various adapters to fit your vacuum to the machine's dust port. My connection isn't quite tight enough, so I wrap it with duct tape, and then remove the tape when done.

Cons:

- The top of a table insert is about .003" below the cast iron table, rather than sitting flush with the table as it should. When sanding large pieces, this is not an issue. However, for small pieces (those not fully supported by the table), you may need to shim that insert so it's flush with the table. This will keep the piece being sanded from rocking between the table and the insert. It doesn't rock very much, but if you're after absolute precision, shimming will be necessary.

Other:

- The cast iron top does NOT adjust for angle, which keeps the cost low. Although my scroll saw, belt/disc sander, band saw, and drill presses have tilting tables, my typical project doesn't need that feature. If YOUR projects will need a tilting table, look elsewhere.

- Even though Sears and Grizzly (among others) sell the same machine (see Customer Images), Amazon's return policy is so good, I bought it from them - if the device arrives missing important parts, is damaged, or defective and it's within 30 days, returns are simple, quick, and Amazon pays shipping both ways. Save the packing materials until you're sure your machine is fine. My machine was well packaged with all parts, and nothing was damaged.

- The worm gear is a plastic/nylon type material and is therefore subject to wear / stripping long before a steel gear would. This is fine if the machine will get only occasional use by a hobbyist or do-it-yourselfer. However, if you need a machine for heavy use, day in, day out, consider getting a professional caliber tool.

Summary:

In this price range, this model should be on your short list for an oscillating spindle sander.
on June 9, 2011
First to keep this short and sweet, I agree with Chip's review 100%. This sander is much higher in quality than I expected. The only thing giving me fits is the dust port that *almost* fits my shop vacuum hose. It's just slightly too large on the OD, but I'll drop into Lowe's and get an adapter that I can modify and get this right. I'm looking forward to improving the looks of all my furniture projects with this unit. It can be set on a bench, but I've mounted it to its own stand (lowered the work surface to make it easier to see the pencil line...)
on January 3, 2013
I've been wanting an oscillating spindle sander for quite a while now but just couldn't see putting $4-500 into one. When I saw this one within the $200 range, and the good reviews I decided to give it a go. First, the sander arrived in very fast time and was very well packaged. It is surrounded by styrofoam molded around the top and bottom. The parts, spindles, inserts and washers are in bags but are just loose in the box and you can hear them moving when you move the box. It didn't seem to effect anything though. After taking it out of the box I was really surprised to see how large it really is, which is a good thing. It appears to be very well made and with all the on-board storage, to me is a great plus. I used it for about two or three hours and it worked much better than expected. The listing does not mention the grit of sleeves that are included. One reviewer said they were 80 grit, but I found out tonight when I took one off that they are 100 grit. I also ordered 120 grit sleeves, which arrived today and turn out to also be 100 grit (they are marked inside the sleeve). So far I have not been able to find any sleeves to fit this machine that are anything higher than 100 grit.

The table inserts on my machine are not level with the table, and on smaller projects will require shimming to keep it level. Larger projects should not be affected. This would have dropped my review by 1/2 star but that isn't possible on amazon's rating so I had to give it a full five stars.

As other reviewers mentioned, the machine is very quiet, however if you use with a shop vac you will need hearing protection, as I did. The dust port fits the hose of my Sears shop-vac to perfection, and there is no worry about any dust being breathed in because it pulls all the dust down through the table insert.

So far I am thrilled with this sander and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a very nice oscillating spindle sander without breaking the bank.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2013
I'm a professional carpenter/cabinet maker, and I've wanted an oscillating spindle sander for years. Recently I found myself in a position where I needed to make the trim for eight ten food wide arch topped windows, and realized this was the proper tool to help make the curved patterns, etc. I researched all the various makes and models, and decided the Powertec had the best features for the money. The cast bed is flat and solid, the 1" stroke is longer than that of the competitions, the motor is quiet, dust collection when hooked up to a shop vac is superb, the unit is light enough to be portable, and with the rubber feet attached is totally stable. I can't vouch for its longevity, but it should meet my non-production needs for a long time. Yes, it's made in Asia, but what isn't these days?
on April 2, 2012
After reading all the various reviews for oscillating spindle sanders,I chose the Powertec. Good value at a good price and so far has performed, I think, as good as or better than advertised. A great addition to my workshop.
on March 27, 2011
Used the sander for the first time the other day on 3x3 inch cherry legs I was making for a wine bottle storage unit. I've never used one before but it performed as I expected with just a bit of vibration now and then. The drums are easy to change and the dust collection port worked well. I needed an adapter to connect my shop vac, had to borrow one from the orbital sander. One of the reviews I read online said you would see this item with other well-recognizable brand names on it. I hadn't until I picked up one of my woodworking mags and saw the Craftsman 2500 reviewed. The only difference I can see is that the base is grey instead of blue. We'll see how it performs over time.
on November 2, 2012
I was surprised at the size of the unit; larger than I expected. Have used this unit for several months to contour sand the inside edges of oval frames I build as well as other pieces. It doesn't bog down, sands smooth and with an attached dust collector or vac. there is NO saw dust anywhere except in the collector. Very impressive.

Changing spindles is quick and easy and replacement sanding sleeves are both reasonably priced and readily available.

I would recommend this unit to anyone.
on January 28, 2013
This sander works perfect for my needs. When I bought this,I thought it wouldn't be powerful enough. I was wrong. I bought this one over the 1/2 horsepower models because of the reviews that I read. I took one sat off because of the non standard dust port, Powertec had plenty of room to put a 2 1/2" dust port. After using the sander alot more, I realized this sander is worth 5 of 5 stars. I took 1 star off earlier because i had to spend $5 for a vac adapter, then I realized your not going to get a sander like this for the price. Also it is very quiet. Extra note, the table doesn't tilt(I don't need this option).
on March 12, 2013
This is exactly what I needed to work on my scrollsaw projects, it really shortens the sanding time and I can see what I'm sanding better.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations