4.0 out of 5 stars Almost all good
The reason we choose this particular model was that it seems to be the ONLY smooth cooktop of any major brand with downdraft exhaust and a bridge element.
Published on May 27, 2011 by M. Benge

3.0 out of 5 stars GE Downdraft Cooktop Replacement
Replaced an outdated GE cooktop with this one. Cooktop performs extremely well.

Published 16 months ago by BCL

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost all good, May 27, 2011
This review is from: GE PP989DNBB Profile 30" Black Electric Smoothtop Cooktop - Downdraft (Kitchen)
We've had our GE downdraft cooktop for about two years now. In another home we'd had a smooth cooktop before and really missed it. It heats quickly and has a lot of different heating element configurations for a 4-eye 30" cooktop. It has a melt setting, a small/large eye setting, and a bridge element for double burner griddles and grills. Overall it has been great and we enjoy it.
I do have a couple of complaints now. The knobs have a cheap look and feel. GE should just upgrade this model or make an optional model with electronic touch controls. We'd have that one if it existed.
Secondly, when using the bridge element and the back left eye for a double-burner griddle pan the temp control for the front left and bridge element seems to be not calibrated right or something. The griddle over that eye and bridge section, seems to me, to get incredibly hot at no more than setting 3 (that's out of 10). If I do not monitor it closely I can burn a pancake in about 30 seconds.
When under warranty, GE sent a technician out and he ordered and replaced the element and the thing that controls the heat. I've got to say GE's service was outstanding and it is very nice that GE has thier own service team rather than it being out sourced to local appliance repair companies. These guys work only on GE products. However, even after the replacement the problem still exists so I am guessing it is just a quirk of the cooktop. You can use the burner/bridge setup you just have to be very careful with the adjustment. Seems you go from low to high in a 1/4" of a knob twist.
For those who have not had a glass cooktop before, yes, they are harder to keep looking clean, but being diligent on wiping up messes and spills quickly helps a lot. This one in particular is a little tougher to keep that pristine look because outside of the demarcations for the eyes there are no graphics. Most smooth cooktops have some sort of light speckling on the cooktop which helps to hide little smears and streaks. We have been able to keep it looking nice. There are some minor scratches on the right front burner now, but probably due to our own carelessness.
I will update my review if anything changes.

3.0 out of 5 stars GE Downdraft Cooktop Replacement, August 12, 2013
Replaced an outdated GE cooktop with this one. Cooktop performs extremely well.

Thats the good news... The bad?? Replacement was a disaster! In their infinite wisdom, GE CHANGED the downdraft connection from a 6" round pipe to a 3x12 rectangular connection. It was almost impossible to reconnect to the existing vent piping. If you are replacing an older GE product, you will need to get some FLEX piping!!!! Note - blowers will not interchange with older models, so you can't just 'steal' the old blower /housing and re-use... Whoever the design change person is in GE, they need to have to test-change out their products and see what a pain they've created by the change!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely pleased!, August 23, 2013
Easy to use with good heating surface and great quality.

Far better than the Jenn Aire unit I had to replace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but hard to clean., June 25, 2014
This stove top looks beautiful and heats up quickly. I love the griddle option where two of the left burners can combine to make one long heated area great for a pancake griddle. It arrived in two days and the price was $40 less than anything else I could find on line, or by calling various appliance shops. With Amazon Prime, I paid zero for shipping! My only issue with it is that it's very difficult to get a streak free clean on the glass. The knobs are tricky to get around to clean as well. This cook top is on an island in the middle of my kitchen so it's sort of a focal point. I guess I'm obsessed with it staying perfectly clean. The best solution so far has been a squirt bottle filled 3/4 with water and 1/4 white vinegar. I added a little squirt of dish soap as well. Spraying this on it and wiping down with dry paper towels has worked best. The cleaner they give you with the stove just ended up in a big streaky mess. I'm regretting that I did not buy the version without knobs. The fan is a bit loud on high, but not bad at the lower speeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 28, 2014
Ben James (Townsend, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Everything you could ask for in a cook top; fast heatup ,powerful downdraft exhaust, simple controls, and a good looking appliance!

3.0 out of 5 stars the cooktop is nice but installing the downdraft vent into the existing vent ..., October 7, 2014
the cooktop is nice but installing the downdraft vent into the existing vent was horrific. there is no standard between stove and existing vent and the installation costs more than the stove.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality unit for price, May 24, 2014
works excellent installed last night, replaced jennair ,simple install long term, hope it lasts.the bad deliverd 10:30 pm not ok with me,

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought this would of been a nice replacement for a gas cooktop i replaced it with ..., December 11, 2014
I thought this would of been a nice replacement for a gas cooktop i replaced it with but the glass surface scratches very easily. Also it stains fast even if you use the special cleaner some surface staining cannot be removed. The cook surface is so hard to clean because of it being glossy . I send at least 15 min. every time we cook cleaning it. I would not recommend it to anyone. Controls also do not control evenly.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice color, easy install, all around very pleased., November 28, 2014
We like it quite a bit! We did a crazy amount of research, so we knew this unit got tons of positive reviews, and we've been very, very pleased with it so far. it's a little dumb that it comes with a rectangular exhaust, so i had to buy an adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UZWRI/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_2), but all in all a great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars We are very happy with our cook top so far, August 27, 2014
We are very happy with our cook top so far. It gets hot almost immediately! The shiny black color makes it a little difficult to eliminate all the smudges from it. We haven't had any problem with general cleanliness but we've only had it for a short time. We are very happy with it so far, though!