4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Basic Fax Machine - Simple and Reliable!
Published on October 31, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, burns through expensive cartridges
This machine works very well. You get good quality documents on reception, and it makes good quality copies. This machine is easy to use, and it is very reliable. For the 2 plus years I've had it, it has only jammed three times and even then it took only a second or two to clear the jam. That is thanks to a very simple paper path.
The downside is two-fold...
Published on September 6, 2000 by mister_t42

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Basic Fax Machine - Simple and Reliable!, October 31, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: PPF775 - Brother IntelliFAX 775 Plain Paper Fax Machine - Monochrome Copier (Electronics)
I bought this fax machine for my 78 year old Mother. Seriously! I knew I had to buy her a machine that not only looked easy to operate but in fact was easy to operate. She had never used a fax machine before in her life...and for various reasons she had truly begun to need one. This model was exactly the answer. All buttons and controls are very clearly labeled. Messages are received with sharp clarity. And (despite the comment below!) she has yet to experience a paper jam. All in all this is an excellent machine. But why only 4 stars instead of the full 5? Because, for some reason, you can't really *request* a transmission report after faxing off a document. Instead, you can set the machine so that a report gets spit out after each and every transmission (kind of a waste of paper!) or you can choose to turn the whole report function off. Unfortunately you can't request a report for only certain transmissions. But in reality that's a minor drawback. All in all, this is a simple nuts and bolts machine that will send and receive with great reliability. For the money, it's a great value and I thoroughly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, burns through expensive cartridges, September 6, 2000
The downside is two-fold for me. First, if you want to use distinctive ring to answer the pohone, this machine requires 2 full rings to determine if it should answer the call. Unfortunately, the toll-saver setting for most answering machines is 2 rings, so that the answering will answer first. Many other fax machines can be programmed to answer on the first ring.
The second issue is bigger. Replacement cartridges are expenses (more than $30), so if you receive more than a few pages of fax a week be prepared to spend some money. Considering that the machine runs not much more than $100, this is expensive. And wait until you replace the cartridge and notice that the ribbon is wasted on dead space; e.g., receiving a blank page appears to use as much ribbon as receiving a page full of text. I wonder why they would do that?!
The moral of the story is, if you only have very low volume of incoing faxes, this could be a great machine. If not, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money this fax is a "work horse", July 25, 1999
By A Customer
I was amazed at the high quality fax output that came from this machine. It is not advertised with major bells and whistles, however, the features it does have are very nice. Don't expect to be a local 'copy' center, but for the occasional copy, it does a fine job. I would prefer an ink cartridge, but you can't have it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, useful for the small home office, July 23, 2000
If you are looking for a reliable home fax for occasional use, the Brother Intellifax 770 is a very solid choice. My wife and I use to send or receive faxes about once a month or so, with the documents being anywhere from one page to over 20. We have had the machine for about nine months now and haven't had any problems.
The quality of the faxes you receive is adequate. There aren't any dark lines or glitches, but it will be clear that it's a fax copy, not a clean copy. We haven't had any complaints from people we've sent faxes to about the quality of the transmission.
As an extra bonus, it (like many fax machines) doubles as a photocopier, although you can only copy paper sheets (i.e., you can't copy book pages and so on).
In addition, the Intellifax 770 works well with answering machines. If you follow the set-up instructions, you can hook it up to the answering machine rather than the direct phone line. Then, the answering machine will pick up calls, but if the incoming call is a fax, then Intellifax 770 will take over and accept the fax.
The one drawback is, as another reviewer has pointed out, when the printer cartridge runs out, the fax stops. It'll stay stored in the memory, but there's no warning. If you've had your cartridge in for a while, make sure you have a replacement handy, just in case.

4.0 out of 5 stars DECENT MACHINE FOR THE DOLLARS..., May 2, 2000
Angela (Morgan Hill, California) - See all my reviews
I have owned this fax machine for almost 1 year and I have had absolutely no problems with it. My faxes come through clear - NO PAPER JAMS! I have had no complaints from the receiving parties. In a pinch it makes excellent copies. Be sure to keep an extra ink cartridge at all times because you aren't allerted until you have run out. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A FAIR PRICED MACHINE THAT DOES ITS JOB THEN THIS IS THE ONE FOR YOU. I Love mine.(Note: I am buying one for my mother today - she is known for owing nothing but the best!)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an ok product, November 25, 2000
Anne (Middletown, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This fax machine is ok. It is plain paper instead of that stupid fax paper that was used a while ago(and is still used in some places). When we first got it, the cartridge in it copied very light and faxed horrid. The replacment cartridge did a lot better though. It only fits the width of a normal piece of paper though. DOn't even think about coping pages stapled together. It wrinkles them and folds them and all kinds of other things. We are having problems with it not going together with our answering machine though(this is a normal phone line). We have to choose one or the other and fortunatly, we only get like 2 calls on this line a week so we can use the plain old fax and not the answering machine. The phone that comes with it is fully functional and is ok. An ok buy for a small business, but buy something else for a big business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect!, March 28, 2000
Will Klump (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Exactly what I needed and exactly what I wanted and at a price considerably lower than I expected. Prints beautiful copies and sends fine faxes around the world from Michigan to Munich to Moscow.
I could not possibly be more pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good features for the price, January 3, 2003
Aj (Mid-west, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm not a fax wiz, but the quick reference chart got me through the initial setup of this machine. For incoming faxes it has worked flawlessly.... outgoing faxes can sometimes be a challenge. However, (as with most machines) if you line the paper up right, and don't attempt to put anything less than an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper in, you should have problem free faxing and/or copying.
The roll-type printing cartridge does seem to disappear quickly, and it can be challenging to find replacement cartridges unless you live next to a big office supply store (tip: if you don't require crisp incoming faxes,... you can re-roll the cartridge back and re-use it at least one more time). :)
Overall: for the price and small space it takes up, I believe it is worth getting. However, if you don't want to go through a small learning curve figuring out how to use it properly, pass it up.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE!! Shopping for its replacement!, December 7, 2002
By A Customer
I have this fax machine now - and I am looking for a replacement to it...and here I stumple across it. I highly recommend you DO NOT buy it! We have a horrible time faxing or copying more than one page..the rollers like to eat up and jam the paper.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Machine Is A Joke, March 25, 2000
99 out of 100 times you use it there is a paper jam. A totally useless machine that you should never buy if you want to maintain your sanity.