4.0 out of 5 stars Good Time
Published on July 10, 2005 by Chuck

I liked this watch and all it does. I'm a guy with a small wrist, so the size of the face is perfect. However, the band, does not adjust down to my wrist size( 7 1/4). Also, Casio doesn't make a different replacement band, and the face is so unique you can't buy an after-market band because it won't fit. Sadly, I had to return the watch because I can't use it.
Published on March 21, 2010 by Jake T.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Time, July 10, 2005
The learning curve on this watch if you use it for fishing may take some time. The moon phase is nice to know about and the sunrise and sunset is pretty cool too, but I didn't give this watch 5 stars because for the money it didn't give me the one option I used more than any other on previous cheaper watches, a timer. This one has the stopwatch but there is no timer you can set for say 10 or 15 minutes. It keeps great time so far, but that's typical of Casio. The backlight is very bright, enough so that you can almost use it as a flashlight, and the option on this model where you can set it for the backlight to come on everytime you hold your arm a certain way is cool. If you're looking for a good water proof timepiece and you don't really care about the timer issue, this is the one. And yeah I'm vain about what it looks like on my arm; it looks manly and cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrating alarm works very well, September 24, 2008
I had two other watches with audible alarms -- which failed to alert me in crowded areas. This watch's vibrating alarm works very well despite noisy surroundings, and the night light numerals are very clear and readable even without my glasses. I'm very satisfied with the product. Setting it is not intuitive and requires following the written instructions that accompany the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it, July 20, 2009
I've had one for five years now. I'm here to order another as my band is getting a little ratty. The band is excellent, I'm just a little hard on it. There aren't many watches available with vibration alarms, and I couldn't live without it. It speaks for the usability of the watch that Casio is still making the exact same watch after all these years. One of my reasons for getting a new one now is the fear they will eventually discontinue it.

I actually use many of the features. The four points of the moon give me a much better tide presentation than the G-Shocks with tide displays. It turns out that at my house the tides are high when the moon is straight up and down at full and new moon and low at the horizon points. I have to shift that two hours at quarter moon and have learned to interpolate. So I regularly look at the four points of the moon times and correlate the moon age. Sunrise and sunset are also accurate.

I do wish they would find a better use for the memo memory. Fishermen are supposed to keep such records, but you can't enter enough information to make it useful. You are better off judging fishing times based on tides and conditions, and true solunar tables are a little more variable than the watch. So the fishing times and quality aren't especially useful, but I still occasionally look to see what the watch thinks.

The great feature is the alarm. There are five alarms and you can set them daily or for specific days of the week. The vibration will wake me from a dead sleep. Mine goes off twice a day and on one day of each week. It did that for nearly five years on the original battery. I am the only one who knows it is alarming, which I like.

If I could design the perfect watch it would be similar but with a larger face and smaller bezel. The trend to have large bezels with useless junk printed on them is worse in some other watches, but the watch would be nicer either smaller or with a larger face than with the large bezel. I would also like to see a countdown timer. But despite the minor niggles it is the best watch for me at any price.

Download the user manual in PDF format from Casio. You can blow it up to really see what you are doing. And the search function lets you find stuff quickly when you forget how to do something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch for fishermen!, July 18, 2008
I bought this watch for my fishing addicted oldman.
I did all the setup for him. He loves the watch, he wears it even not go fishing. His friends keep asking where to get one.
Its not too big as i thought.
Very nice leather, cloth band and 100m water resist,5stars for the moon phase feature.
Too bad it doesnt have navigator and tide chart, not with $35 lol...
A very nice, fun and afordable gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough watch, December 27, 2004
My boyfriend had an older model of this watch that he wore for work and play for years. He wore it while fighting forest fires and fishing in the PNW, and it held up great. I bought this watch for him as a Christmas gift, and he loved it. It looks great, is comfotable and was reasonably priced. Hopefully it has the lasting power of his previous one.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Bond Watch!, August 30, 2007
I haven't ever seen a watch like this. It's much more than just a sports watch. They have crammed a bunch of features into a small space.
My favorite is the vibrating alarm. I haven't ever seen that on a watch before. The automatic light is amazing as well. You can set the watch so the light comes on when you tip it at a 45 degree angle. This is a feature you can turn on or off.

As far as the other features, I'm not a hunter, but see a lot of uses for non-hunters. The watch actually knows when the sun and moon rise and set based on coordinates for your area. The sound alarm works well. You can set up to 5 different alarms for different times of the day.

If you're a hunter, this is the perfect watch! It tells you the ideal feeding times and hunting times based on coordinates for your area. You would be able to know a bunch of information with minimal body movement.

The only negative is the camouflage wrist band, but that can be easily replaced. It's also a hunting watch, so that's probably a positive if I were a hunter. I just got the watch because I'm a gadget guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars good vibrations, August 17, 2006
great watch with some surprising features... vibrates instead of beeping on the hour - moon stages based on your lat/longitude and an illumination option activated whenever you turn your wrist as if you were looking at the time....

well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome wristwatch!, May 29, 2006
Pros:

1. Vibrate mode

2. FIVE alarm settings

3. Auto light switch (when activated backlight comes on automatically when the watch position is tilted towards you more than 40 degrees) - really neat!

Cons:

1. No countdown timer.

2. Sporty look (understand it is afterall a fishing/hunting watch; wish had a professional look to go with business attire)

The most useful wristwatch I've had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, band won't work for small wrists and can't be replaced, March 21, 2010
Jake T. (DENVER, CO, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch with unique features at a low price, December 16, 2012
Gary Kinsman (Simi Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Pros

- Accurate (within 2 seconds per week)
- Shows moon phase, day of week, time, and date (including year) simultaneously
- Shows age of moon and moon transit times
- Shows sunrise and sunset times
- Shows a graphical representation of daytime and nighttime around the perimeter of the dial. Optionally, can show best fishing times.
- Five alarms, which can use tone or vibration
- Bluegreen backlight works well
- Very lightweight
- Inexpensive
- Relatively long-lasting battery
- Crystal is recessed to minimize scratching

Cons

- Somewhat thick case
- No world time mode
- No countdown timer
- Dial is small compared to case size, due to large internal and external bezels
- Deeply set dial makes reading the perimeter day/night or fishing indicator difficult, due to shadowing by the two bezels
- Nylon strap is quite stiff (but gets better with use; storing it buckled rather than flat helps)
- Non-standard attachment of band to case

Notes

- I don't fish, but I do enjoy astronomy, and appreciate the astronomical features of this watch
- Moon west transit time (#2) is roughly equivalent to moonset (within an hour or so). Moon east transit time (#4) is roughly equivalent to moonrise.
- Download the PDF manual to get a larger font than with the tiny included manual

Overall

- A watch with unique and useful features for very little money. Highly recommended.

Pro Trek Men's PAS400B-5V