5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my Vita kit...
Published on May 6, 2012 by Goliath

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
the product is fine, but if you own an psv-2000 then you have to purchase an extra usb cable to charge it.
Published 1 month ago by Tsai Chintsu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my Vita kit..., May 6, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
To start off, this is a great portable battery. It's simple one button operation makes it very easy to use. I also really like how the power button lights up differently, with the same color code as the Vita itself, to let you know the status of the battery. I received mine, plugged it in to charge, and in about 2 hours it was good to go. The power button even blinks the different colors to let you know what the charging progress is. It is very compact, recharges itself quickly, charges the Vita properly, and is at a very good price point...unlike the memory cards. If Sony missed the mark with those, they definitely made up for it with this.

As far as the battery itself, there are cheaper alternatives, but they will not work properly with the Vita. Here is why. Practically every other battery of this size, capacity, and even in the ballpark of this price point, only has an output of 1.0 amps. This battery has an output of 1.5 amps. The PS Vita's internal circuitry looks for this output, and if it doesn't see it, it won't charge while powered up. If you want to play while charging, or without shutting down completely, this is the only battery like this that will work. You can't go by the "5v, 5000mAh" rating, as others have suggested. If playing while charging is important to you, this is the battery you need.

Something to be mindful of, is that this battery is all you get in the package. You will need the USB cable that came with the Vita, as well as the Vita power brick, to charge it. You can also use the Sony Vita car charger to charge your battery on the go, or you can charge it via most any USB cell phone charger, or USB 2.0/3.0 port. Remember, that like the Vita itself, this battery likes a 1.5 amp output for charging. The charger that came with an iPhone is only 1.0 amps, but the one that came with the iPad is 2.1 amps. That means that this battery will charge the iPhone, and even the new iPad (which requires a minimum of 1.5 amps) with no problem whatsoever, depending on your screen brightness (since that determines how much power the iPad needs to draw). It is so versatile, I have ordered two more of them to have on hand.

Another nice thing about this battery, is that it fits very well in the limited edition clam shell case that came as part of the First Edition bundle. In that little cargo pocket up top I have the portable battery, the USB cable, the Vita headphones, and a few games wrapped up in a screen cleaning cloth. With two games in each of the elastic game pockets, I have all I need for a day out and about, and nothing is "crammed" in anywhere. That was not the case when I had to carry the AC brick/cord up there. This battery definitely cleans up the package nicely.

As a side note, if you need or want additional USB cables, the Vita AC power brick, or the Vita car charger, I have seen them on clearance at most Target stores for between five and ten dollars each. They even have the Sony PS Vita travel case for five bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vita juice and some good device flexibility, May 5, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
UPDATE: Full charge clocked in at a little under 10 hours of gameplay for the PSP title listed in the original review.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I am going to bump up my review to 5 stars. I'm sitting in LaGuardia with a MiFi hotspot whose battery was low. The Energizer portable laptop charger that I carry around to charge my phone, laptop, etc, wouldn't charge it while I was using the hotspot. This Vita charger does, and is a fraction of the physical size.

-----------------ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW------------------------

The short of it: AT LEAST 6 1/2 hours of non-wifi gameplay so far, and still going.

I intend to update this review once I get through a full cycle of the charger and perhaps also test it on some other devices, but for now I wanted to put something up so people on the fence can get some idea of the device.

I'm testing how much extra play this will give the Vita as we speak. I ran down the existing battery charge until I got my first "Low Battery" message from the Vita. After that, I plugged in the charger (after giving it time to fully juice up) and started playing a game through which I could track game time.

In my case, I chose the PSP game "The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky". Note that this games doesn't use any wifi and is probably pretty easy on the battery, but I wanted to guage the charge under some kind of consistent conditions.

OK, all that said, here is the point. I've recorded six and a half hours of game time and the battery still has juice left. And that is game time as measured by the game itself, e.g. I started using the charger as I was 22 hours 50 minutes into the game, and now the game clock says 29 hours 20 minutes. That's not even counting times when I reloaded, start-up time, etc.

So, this battery pack definitely delivers its advertised 4-7 hours of extra gameplay. I'm knocking it down one star (for now) because it is a little difficult to read which side is the input and which is the output.

In short, if you are on the fence, I'd say go for it. This will be great for travelers who don't have an outlet all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Vita Owners!, May 9, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
Update July 2013: Almost a year later this thing still works excellently! I have left it charged months at a time (it's probably a horrible thing to do) yet every time I was curious and pressed the power button to check the charge, it's always been green (even after 4 months!). Excellent product, highly recommended!

Update: The owner's manual states it will take approximately 7 hours to fully charge the device; unfortunately, I was not present to record the time when the indicator light turned off. For size comparisons, please refer to pictures I have uploaded. Also, I would like to add that this fits snugly inside the Official Sony Travel Pouch and since the width (or depth I should say) of the device is similar to the power brick, you may use the power brick to see if this charger will fit in your travel cases however the other dimensions are different so account for those. I will update again after continued use!

--Original Review--
Author's Note: I will update this when I have used the device. These are initial impressions with information provided in the owner's manual that are not presented in the product information.

The object is pretty weighty (135g) about as heavy as an iPhone 4 and the dimensions are 67 x 79 x 22mm (2.7 x 2.8 x 0.9 in).
Input: DC 5V/1.0A
Output: DC 5V/1.5A
Battery: DC 3.7 V, 5000mAh

When Charging the portable charger the button indicator blinks:
Green - Approximately 70% or more battery charge in the charger
Orange - Approximately 40 - 70% battery charge in the charger
Red - Approximately 40% or less battery charge in the charger
Not lit - Fully Charged

When Charger is supplying power to devices button lit continuously,
Green - Approximately 70% or more battery charge in the charger
Orange - Approximately 40 - 70% battery charge in the charger
Red - Approximately 40% or less battery charge in the charger
Not lit - Fully Charged/No remaining charge in charger

Remember that this device outputs at 1.5A for your Vita (this is the minimum output required for the Vita to stay on and charge simultaneously) however, if you plug in another device; let's say an smartphone, the charger will adjust to the required current (around 1A) . In other words, it won't fry your smart phone's battery.

IMPORTANT: Please note that this requires (!!) the Vita charger to charge the portable charger. The bottom of the portable charger has the input charging port which is the same port that the PS Vita requires to charge (USB port on the top and PS Vita charging port is on the bottom). In a way that's convenient because it cuts down on packaging and pricing if you own a Vita; however if you don't own a Vita you will need to buy BOTH the USB cord AND the AC adaptor. So if you are considering purchasing this without owning a Vita, look for an alternative as the USB cord and AC adaptor are pricey!

The reason I bought this over other alternatives is the 1.5A that will allow me to play both my Vita and charge it simultaneously. As for the need for the AC adaptor, I think it's a great idea to reduce the amount of cords cluttered around. If I were to really travel somewhere far I would bring my Vita charger anyway so I don't see why people find this to be a fault.

I will run a few tests to see whether this device can charge an iPhone 4S, HTC Evo 3D, and other USB charged devices <the battery charges the listed devices> I find around the house. I will also test to see if the charger can charge itself while simultaneously charging the Vita <does not work, you can only charge one or the other>. Feel free to leave any questions or tests you'd like done in the comments!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent!, July 4, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
Got mine and it's awesome. Not comparing with other chargers out there, since it's my first portable charge and I don't have all the tech knowledge to do so, but I can speak for this one and it's really handy.

I'll start listing my devices that I can charge using it:
- Playstation Vita (duh)
- PSP (I was able to charge the Playstation Portable using a USB to Power cable that I have, you can't charge it using the regular USB cable, even if the USB charge option is enabled)
- Galaxy Nexus
- MyTouch Slide 3g
- Samsung Galaxy 5
- I'm confident enough to say you can charge any PHONE that uses a USB connection, I could be wrong though, I really didn't test every phone out there (ohreally?)
- Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones (Aluratek model ABH01F)
- Wireless Bluetooth Headset (Samsung model HM1000)

Now the devices I couldn't charge using it.
- Playstation 3 Controllers (Dualshock, Remote and Move)
- Asus TF300T (tried with and without the keyboard dock, that doesn't charge even when the tabled was detached.

I could be dead wrong but it looks like to me that if you can charge it on your computer, you can use this portable charger. I assume that because that's what happened with both the tablet and Playstation Controllers.

About the battery life, I must say, it really does hold the charge, I mean, I fully charged it two weeks ago (and a couple days more) and if I plug it on the wall to juice it up, it tells me it'yet fully charged. The amount of energy that this thing holds is amazing too. Not sure about the Vita because I really never needed to use recharge it using this charger, but it fully charged my nexus and yet it also let me charge my Bluetooth Stereo Headphones. Not anough? Yeah, it was not enough for the Portable Charge either, ot still had some power left, don't know how much power though, but this thing can hold lot's of power for those on the go.

It's safe to say that it really can give you that extra energy you will need on a daily basis. If you live running out on your cell battery, this thing is your solution! It is really small and lightweight. I'd say you can carry it on your pocket, though it was not that comfortable for me, but it would fit even the smallest pocket. It's really small.

If I find a way to use all it's power using other devices then the Vita, I'll update this review/comment.

That was my experience with it. Hope it can help others. READ OTHER REVIEWS, they have more valuable information about this little awesome charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds a lot of charge, July 12, 2013
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
This portable charger comes in handy a lot. When you are in a place without an outlet, you can just plug it into this small device. It holds its charge for up to a year! That makes it ten times better. I'm very impressed with this charger. I can store it easy on long car trips or on an airplane. Now I can play my vita whenever. I love this item, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars VITA MUST HAVE!!, August 14, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
This little thing is AMAZING!! I don't understand how sony hasn't advertised this thing all over the place! It's the greatest accessory ever! This thing will not only charge your Vita TWICE but you can PLAY while you charge it! I mean, c'mon! how cool is that?! Can't say anymore! BUY THIS THING NOW! (by the way it charges pretty much ANY device with a USB port) :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges my Vita and Infuse Phone, May 6, 2012
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
Great little backup battery. I actually used it today to test it out. My Vita was almost dead and I plugged the portable charger in and it allow them me to finish playing the game I had started. I left it hooked up after I finished playing and I check it again after a few hours and found the Vita fully charged. Size is not back either, fits very well in my Vita travel pouch.

I also test in on my Samsung Infuse just to see what would happen. It started charging my phone also. I check to see if work on my IPAD but that did not work. I'm sure it will work on many other devices much like any after market battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charger For Any USB, May 29, 2014
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
I love this little thing things I have iuse charger with... iPad 4, Samsung galaxy tab 3, PlayStation 4 controller , PlayStation 3 controller , playstion vita ,cell phone, note 2, note 3,lg g2, I purchased for $25 when was on sale best portable charger (YOU WILL NEED A VITA CHARGER PLUG TO CHARGE "NOT INCLUDED")

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not come with a charge cable, unfortunately, May 25, 2014
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
Great product. The charger holds about 1.5 PS Vita charges with the new slim 2000 model Playstation Vitas. Also can charge my cell phone, which is nice. Good for plane trips. The package doesn't include the charge cable necessary to to charge the battery, probably because it uses the old charge cable from the older Vita model, and Sony just assumed if you bought this product, you would have one already. I bought one of the older cables for about $4 on eBay though, so not too much of a loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around use!, April 10, 2014
This review is from: PS Vita Portable Charger (Accessory)
Funny I bought this to charge my PS Vita on the go and in over a year still have yet to use it for that purpose! I've actually used this battery extensively on my bike rides to keep my phone charged as my ride tracking app can really drain my phone battery. I'm looking to pick up another one or two of these and keep them in my bike kit and use them to charge my bike lights as well as provide emergency phone battery power. Also great for charging up an iPad in a pinch as well.

PS Vita Portable Charger
PS Vita Portable Charger by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
$49.99 $21.15