Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2012 6:32:54 AM PST
Can you play PS2 games on this system?

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:41:29 AM PST
Coleman says:
These days, there are only certain models that can read the PS2 games from the disc drive. They are the bigger ("fatty") PS3's that were made around launch.

Even then, not *all* fatty's play PS2 discs. Personally I still have my MGS4 bundle PS3 which does not play PS2 discs.

The slim and super slim (super slim referring to this PS3 model) do not play PS2 discs.

HOWEVER, if you turn on your PS3, log in to your PSN (I'll never get used to calling it SEN) and launch the PS Store, there are some select downloadable PS2 titles (such as God Hand, Max Payne, etc) usually on sale for about $10. But, this isn't the entire selection; studios are finding it a little more profitable to re-release old games as "HD Editions", like Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3, the Devil May Cry games, etc.

I'm sorry I can't answer the question directly with a Yes or No. Yes, some older systems can play the discs (later ones, no), yes that there is a selection available as downloadable games (but no on every single PS2 game being available).

I hope this helped out!

Some references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PS3 250GB Amazon Exclusive Family Entertainment Bundle
PS3 250GB Amazon Exclusive Family Entertainment Bundle by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (330)