4.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, good quality. Packaging over the top.
The PlayStation 3 Component AV cable is really for two types of customers: those with a PS3 who have a first generation HDTV and those who have a Playstation 2 with a HDTV.

Published on December 8, 2008 by Calvin Tong

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as Described
Works pretty good for non HDMI TVs but the standard PS3 cables that come with the system work just as well as these.
Published 16 months ago by Raymond Owens

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, good quality. Packaging over the top., December 8, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)

If you have a PS3, then your best bet is HDMI. It's all digital and provides the best clarity. In addition, it is only one single cable for video and audio as opposed to 5 separate connections. There would be no point to buy this cable for your PS3 and HDTV unless you have a first-generation HDTV that does not have a HDMI or DVI input (if you have a DVI input, you can buy a cable or adapter that allows HDMI to DVI connections).

If you have a Playstation 2, this cable is great to use for 480P (progressive scan output) or for usage with Gran Turismo in 1080i mode. Component is also noticeably clearer than S-Video or Composite out. If you don't have a HDTV though, the difference with component versus S-video or composite is not nearly as noticeable and may not be worth it.

Now onto the Sony component cable itself.

Pros:
- excellent quality
- the cable is very flexible and routes easily. It doesn't remain in a twisted or coiled form like some other cables
- the component jacks go easily into the TV. They are sized great and go in easily. I've used Monster-branded component cables for the PS2/PS3, and they require too much force to go in and out of the jacks. It felt like it was putting too much undue stress on the TV jacks.
- the MultiAV connector goes in very tight into the PS2/PS3
- cable rubber / plastic is high quality and doesn't feel sticky or smelly like some other cables.

Cons:
- the packaging is over the top. Sony used heavy thick clear plastic as the box. It's difficult to cut open, and an environment disaster. This item is a perfect candidate for Amazon's Frustration Free packaging.

P.S. If you have trouble getting output with this cable, make sure in the PS2 setup, the component out is set to CYPbPr rather than RGB. The catch-22 is that you can't see the screen to set this with the component cable already plugged in. However, all PS2s come with the basic composite AV cable, so you should use this to set the component out first before plugging in the component AV cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Component Cables look great, October 5, 2007
Gizmoman (Cary, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I was concerned that I would lose some picture quality using component cable instead of HDMI. That was not the case.. the picture looks great! And the BlueRay picture is awesome. Was quite surprised how well the PS3 upscaled regular DVD's to HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as PS2 one, but better quality, November 3, 2007
E. Wilkinson (East Northport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I didn't realize that the one I have on my PS2 would work on my PS3 when I ordered this.

I was so impressed by the quality that I kept it and am currently using it (as opposed to using the PS2 one that I already had).

Well made - does the job. BUT if your TV supports HDMI use the HDMI NOT this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cable!, August 25, 2007
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I actually bought these cables to upgrade the picture on my PS2 (these cables work on both PS2 and PS3) to play it on my new HD TV. Wow, what a difference it made going from s-video to component cables. The picture is so much clearer and the colors seem nicer. I recommend these cables to anyone who wants to upgrade to better video quality on the Playstation 2 and 3. The quality of this product is top-notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Cable for your PS2 / PS3 needs..., October 18, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I use HDMI for my PS3, but due to a lack of S-Video and RCA hookups on my 1080p HDTV, my craving for some of my old PS2 titles was left unfulfilled until I picked up this cable I do not own a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 ). The provided component AV cable is an official component cable designed for use on the PS3 and PS2 systems. The cable has R/L stereo audio and supports Y, Cb/Pb, Cr/Pr.

CABLE QUALITY
The included cable is surprisingly good quality. The main cable itself is heavy duty with plenty of length to it (10 feet). The connector heads are very high quality, and durable. The entire cable itself has some good weight to it. The only real negative I could see about the quality of the cable, is that after the 10ft of heavy duty, thick cable it splits off with the 5 connector heads; each connector using a thinner wire. Still, in the cable's defense, the thickness and quality of the connector wires are vastly superior to the official PS2 S-video cable Sony was selling back in the day.

IMAGE QUALITY
PS2 - It has been a while since I used my PS2 via S-Video, but the component cable did seem to have sharpened the color quality of the games nicely. These cables won't make the games look HD by any means, so don't be shocked when you still see jaggies... but what you will get is much crisper and higher quality image reproduction. It does help very subtly. I would say this is a must have if you plan to use your PS2 for PSX or PS2 games.

PS3 - There is a big downgrade in Image Quality using these over HDMI, but that is to be expected. HDMI makes a huge difference for 720p/1080p titles when compared to the 480i/p titles of the PS2. I would only use these for a PS3 if you do not have HDMI on your TV. The good thing is; component does a good job at handling the current gen PS3 titles, far better than S-Video and RGB do in my opinion.

SET-UP (PS2)
Not hard at all really. If your PS2 is currently using S-Video or RGB, turn the system on and change the display settings to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr and save it. Switch the console off, swap wires and you are good to go. If your PS2 is set to RGB you will only get an audio output to the TV. The system will not display an Image! If for some reason you are unable to hook your system up via RGB/S-video here are the steps to follow to enable the proper video setting
TURN SYSTEM ON > DOWN > X (confirm) > DOWN x3 (each down will make a sound) > X (confirm) > LEFT > X(confirm this should enable component mode I am using a version 3 PS2 but the system config should be the same as with the new slim models)

SET-UP (PS3)
If your PS3 is brand new out of the box, nothing to worry about as the system will auto-configure on first boot. However if you have been playing via HDMI or another video option, and switching to the component gives you a black screen; there is an easy fix. Put your PS3 in standby mode (red light is on Press and hold the power button for 5-6 seconds (you will hear a BEEP, then a BEEP BEEP); this resets your video options and the system will auto detect your component output.

OVERALL
I am very impressed with these cables. The overall quality is very high, and having Official Sony support for both the PS2 and PS3 is a nice plus. Even though I only got these for my PS2, if I still had a SDTV this would be the perfect 2-in-1 cable. A worthwhile investment for someone looking to give their PS2 graphics a little extra boost of color, and a great alternative to the standard RGB(composite) cables included with the PS3. 5 stars.

NOTE: Many PS2 games do not support "progressive" mode. This means that despite having Component cables, the game will output at 480i. Games which support progressive mode will output at 480p with component cables. (resident evil 4 I believe supports 480p)
NOTE: If you already own PS2 component cables, these will offer virtually no "visual" improvement over existing PS2 component cables (just better quality cabling)

NOTE: The packaging for this product is incredible overkill. It is that ultra thick, heat sealed plastic packaging that everyone hates. So best get your meanest pair of scissors out when this arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have HDTV, you need this., September 13, 2007
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
Using the RCA cables that came with the PS3, I hardly noticed a graphics upgrade from my PS2. My HDTV does not come with HDMI input so I was a little disappointed that I would be forced to use these. But it really didn't matter. You can use full 1080P just like HDMI cables. The flickering disappears when you use these. The picture quality is incredible using component cables. You can see more of the screen when you set the resolution to 1080P vs 480i, which is important for the Playstation store. Do yourself a favor and get these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Component Cable, May 2, 2010
Gabe Diaz (Boca Raton, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I bought this cable for my PS3 slim to connect to an older EDTV which is HD ready, no HDMI input. This cable does the job, picture looks great and now I can use my PS3 as a HD device, so happy with the result.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with the Playstation 2, June 7, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
This product works very well with the Playstation 2 console. It's made the picture much crisper as compared to what it was with the composite cables! My only gripe is that the plugs are not very colourful (and thus hard to discern in low light) and are a bit difficult to insert.

Make sure your television supports these cables before you buy them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Sailing for PS2 again, December 14, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
My PS2 (SCPH 30001 "Fat") looked terrible using the standard composite cable into my Sony Bravia tv. Sounds were popping and hissing and the picture was too dark to enjoy any game I had.
This component cable took care of all of that in a hurry. That is, after I switched around the two red colored cable ends. If you buy this cable and you've got color streaks or ghosting.. try switching the red cables around.
These cables brought back crisp pictures and clean sound. Makes the PS2 playable again and 'durn sexy' on a big screen. The PS3 looks good, too.

Also, I've seen it a dozen times in the reviews before I forgot that you have to change your PS2 settings for Y, CB/PB, CR/PR. It only takes 30 seconds to fix that, but if you switch out cables and don't change it from RGB output, you won't hear or see anything. Easy fix. You don't have to change the display ratio if you don't want to, I use Full because I paid for a whole tv. :)

Also, while I'm at it, if you're getting scared out of buying these cables because people are telling you that you PS2 isn't capable of 'progressive scan' output and it won't work, don't be. None of that is going to keep you from being able to play your PS2 on your HDTV with these cables. A lot of those reviewers don't know what they're talking about. There is absolutely no problem with the output from the Fat PS2s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Your PS2 better, May 6, 2007
This review is from: PS3 Component AV Cable (Video Game)
I was pretty ignorant of the difference a component cable could make. When we bought an much bigger HDTV, the PS2 games looked really awful on it. All washed out and grainy. Of course some people in the house felt the answer was a PS3 but I couldn't bring myself to drop 600 on it at this time so...for 20 bucks I ordered this cable. I was shocked at how much clearer and crisper the picture is on the games. It's not HD but its not too shabby. For a savings of 580 I can live with it for a good long time and so can the whiny tech obsessed males of the household. It was worth the money and I recommend it.

PS3 Component AV Cable
PS3 Component AV Cable by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$58.50