on February 12, 2010
Firstly I did tons of research before this purchase. I can't stand FPS on console. However all my friends are on PSN so I picked this up because MW2 on PC Multiplayer is sorely lacking, so if I'm gonna play something that I'm not completely happy with I might as well do so with friends.

Here's where the FragFX comes in, I have MW2 sensitivity set to max, and the setting on the "fragchuk" to 3. Smooth as silk. I saw so many reviews about it being crap, aftr a few hours hands on I'd have to disagree. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could because there are some minor flaws.

1. Doesn't support Windows 7 64 bit (Website says the Pro will as of Jan 2010, I have the v.2 SE and it says nothing about 64 bit. I tried to force it under XP compatability but it wouldn't do it's thing. Luckily my laptop is 32 bit but I still can't seem to get it to update, I'm guessing because the laptop is Windows 7)
2. Feels a bit cheap
3. The R3 button (where a mouse wheel would be) is kind of hard to hit, and the start button is right below that

The good stuff

1. Smooth as silk on MW2
2. The waggle options are great, I use it to bypass my issues with R3 as I have a side to side motion set (which in MW2 is default Knife). I also have the throw motion mapped to grenade.
3. As I'm unable to fully update the firmware, I'm happy to say that the research I did where people said it's crap for MW2 were completely wrong.

Don't bother doing research on the net as most of the bashing or super hyping of this product is done by 1 postcount trolls. As you can see I've had plenty of other reviews that have nothing to do with the PS3.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 20, 2010
So I've been using the PS3 FragFX controller for over 6 months now. I don't bother posting reviews until I HAVE FULLY TESTED THESE ITEMS!

The controller at first did have a "cheap" feel to it. But I gave it's due chance. After 3 hours of play... it was simply awesome! A great solution for ex-PC Game players! I love using a mouse and keyboard for game play and this was the (only) best solution at the time. I soon became very confident in the game play and the reaction time of the controller was top notch!

But here's a negative. The R3 button is way too close to the start button. The R3 button in MW2 is defaulted for knife use. Many times I have mistakenly pressed the start button at the same time resulting in the start menu popping up. As we all know... every second counts in this (these) games and this was and still is annoying.

After 3 months of play, I got the dreaded "auto button pressing" issue. This seems to be the same issue that has been happening with many other users. At first is was just "auto-firing". Then it started pressing the "start button" randomly. And so as a Computer Technician, I don't have it in me to "send in" the controller just to get a different (new one) that will eventually duplicate the same faults in the future. So I did what I do.... I took the thing apart!

Problem solved:

Like many (soft) keyboards, cell phones, and calculators... the PS3 FragFX uses soft plastic "bushings" in between the hard plastic buttons and the controller board. Giving the user the "soft" cushion feel upon pressing the buttons. These soft plastic bushings, after hours of play, simply "pop" out of position internally. It took me about 10 mins to take the "mouse" controller apart. (yes it's tricky) Than I tinkered with the pieces for another 10 mins. Re-aligning the soft bushing into place. Then it took me another 5-10mins to put it back together. Presto! It worked AS GOOD AS NEW immediately!

After 6 months of play, I had to take apart my PS3 FragFX 2 times. About 2-3 months apart. But I'm a pretty HIGH intense player! So I may "beat-up" my controllers more than others may do.

Splitfish will never tell you to open up your controller. By doing so you WILL void the warranty on the unit. So take this thing apart "at you own risk". This pretty much proves that I am in no way affiliated with Splitfish. And I in no way want to "piss them off". Because us gamers appreciate their decision to tackle such an IMPORTANT piece of artillery to my arsenal!! Now I challenge them to improve on their product! Please make the next version better, stronger, faster! Keep it up Splitfish!

(PS - I will be testing FragNstein next!! See you in 6 months!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2010
As I'm typing this I currently use Eagle eye and Fragfx 1. Fragfx 1 is still the best choice to emulate a gamepad for the last 3 years. Splitfish terminated firmware updates a month or so ago when the 3.5 sony patch came out leaving us with bricked fragfx1's. Another site Tuact the competition actually helped us fragfx 1 owners out and released a patch so now it works. Very bad business with splitfish but I still give the version 2 se a fair review. Eagle eye is an adapter that allows you to use your own mouse very awesome and also worth checking out I use this exclusively even with the fragfx 1 working eagle eye is great.

Hopefully the video lets you see what I saw but keep in mind this is still much better than a gamepad if you are a serious pc gamer the choice is obvious.

Tested using
Modern warfare 2
Exactmat SPEED side
Razer mamba mouse feet much better glide than stock

Pros
Smooth movements all around when zoomed in
price
Better than gamepad

Cons
Slower less responsive than fragfx1 while zoomed in
Deadzones while micro aiming you can see that in video
Splitfish track record of terminating support when sony releases 3rd party block patches
on February 18, 2010
I was not too happy with the DS3 controller when playing FPS games. I am no expert but it sucked when I see a guy and before I took ages to aim at the guy, the other guy would sit down aim and kill me. Yeah, like I said I am not an expert.

I was not able to enjoy the game coz I would get killed almost every 30sec.

I have played few fps on PC, so keyboard and mouse is natural to me. This product offered to do the same on ps3, so I purchased it.

I wanted to play using it asap so I went to the local frys store, searched for the product. There were already 2 returns being sold for $7 less. I though this might be highly returned product. Anyway, I took a new one and headed home.

Because I have a 8 month old kid, I can't keep the controller connected to the PS3 all the time, coz he can easily access and cable. So I have to unplug the controller and put it safely away from him. For the first time I realised that attaching a usb to the ps3 is bit tricky coz the usb socket is somewhat below and "inside". Anyway, I plugged it and expected to kill more people then usual.:)

The controller can not be used as is, I had to adjust the sensitivity in in-game setting and also the one on the controller. I haven't found the sweet spot yet, but I am close enough.

The PS button on the conroller does not start the console, instead I have to start the console first then press the PS button on the controller before the controller starts to work.

10foot cable is good enough from the corner of the room to the couch.

This one does not come with a mousepad, so you have to get your own or try different surfaces that suits you.

The controller did help me with enjoying the game bit better, coz now if i see someone first, i can kill him before he can react. But still i do get killed all the time coz i tend to run into the ambush quit easily.

I tried the controller with call of duty demo version, the response is very very good. Much better than in battlefield 1943, that I am using this controller to play.

The controller does not feel as sturdy as DS3 but, it will do.

Overall, I am quite happy with the product (before it stops working?) and would recommend other if they like playing FPS on ps3.

update: I found the microfiber of the sofa to be the best surface for the mouse.
on April 1, 2010
The FragFX Pro is garbage, but this is a good product. I used it for about a year to play COD: World at War and Killzone 2. The biggest problems is it's cheaply made. I was pretty rough on mine and it didn't break, but the quality is low. The next problem is the R3 button and the start button are right next to each other. I just stopped trying to knife people is COD because I usually just ended up pausing the game and getting killed. A lot of people who loved this controller are going to trash it because they got burned when they bought the FragFX Pro and want to get back a Splitfish. There are better products out there, but this works as advertised.
on July 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is my 3rd purchase of Splitfish products. Both FragFX V2 controllers have failed. The first in 5 months the 2nd in 1 month. Each had a different issue. The original FragFX worked great for over a year. Company support has been good but who cares. I don't want to wait for a replacement for an item with less than 25 hours of use. Absolute garbage. When it works it works GREAT and helps my gaming.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2011
Verified Purchase
I was skeptical of this product at first after using several mouse and keyboard adapters for the xbox 360 such as the Xfps with its horrible deadzone issues and even custom built adapters that just never felt right. The FragFX is 100% better than anything else I've used. It will never be exactly the same as a Mouse and Keyboard on a PC because of the joystick acceleration that is built into the games, but whatever splitfish did they did it right. once you max out the in game sensitivity (on Black Ops I have it set to "Insane") the mouse movement becomes pretty smooth and the rest of the fine tuning can be done with the adjustment wheel on the nunchuck. I have my wheel set at 4 and sometimes 4.5. I find that if you turn the sensitivity up too much movements become jerkey, it seems that for Black Ops the magic number is 4 on the wheel with in game sensitivity maxed out.

the frag button is useless for Blops and I never use it since the sensitivity automatically goes down when you switch to iron sights. I could see it being useful if you had the sensitivity turned up past 5 on the wheel but I see no need for it. I can already turn around faster than anyone using a standard controller.

the only issues I have with this device is the weight of the mouse and the buttons. the mouse needs a weight, I could probably add one but its not that big of an issue. The wireless versions of this will have a battery and probably feel a bit better I'm sure. That brings me to the buttons, they feel cheap and I find that I have to press the L1/L2 buttons harder than on most controllers. the left and right mouse buttons are pressure sensitive just like on a regular dual shock, I think this was a mistake because FPS games don't need pressure sencitivity. a standard microswitch would have had a better feel.

overall this works great and is a big advantage to anyone who is more accustomed to a mouse and keyboard. it has a ton of great features and ways to tweak it and has the ability reassign buttons in games that don't allow you to remap the controls (like blops). I would not recommend this to anyone who is already good with a dualshock, it probably won't help you.
on August 12, 2010
Verified Purchase
I am born and bred on PC FPS games so playing with a controller is not easy for me. I am horrible at playing FPS on a console. In fact; I am so horrible I avoided it at all costs. Only reason I bought a console (PS3) was for the much anticipated Gran Tourismo 5. I digress. But...all of my friends and a few people from work urged me to get Modern Warfare 2. Which I did to pass the time until GT5 comes out. Of course I sucked and after a month I still sucked. Enter the FragFX V.2 SE. OMG! This is what I'm talking about! I'm 200% better now. I'm now at the top of the kills/deaths sheet at the end of every game. I have to say I'm "pwning" a lot better now =).

Good things about this is its a laser mouse; aiming with a mouse is so much better than an analog control stick. IMO. The buttons are configured just as they would be on the regular PS3 controller except of course the R1, R2 and R3 buttons, which are now your left, right and center mouse buttons respectively. I saw a review of someone complaining about the "start" button that's right above the center button; I do not 2nd that complaint. I haven't hit the start button even once while using the center button. I also like the "nunchuk", believe it or not controlling movement with a control stick is actually better than with a keyboard. And the thing I like most about the "nunchuk" is the on-the-fly mouse sensitivity adjustment wheel. Anytime you want to adjust the mouse sensitivity, just move the little wheel up or down and it's instantly implemented. It fits well in your hand too.

Bad things about this is it's a low quality laser mouse. Minor adjustments while aiming are sometimes hard for it to comprehend and kind of have that dirty ball-mouse feel. I mean what do you expect for $30-50? Its still 100% better than using a control stick to aim though as evidenced by my 200% increase in kills =P. Buttons are not as high quality as I would like. They don't stick but, sometimes I hit a button and nothing happens and I have to hit it again for it to work. Again, what do you expect for $30-50? The button layout on the "nunchuk" is a little sketchy...I mean who puts a macro button behind the select button essentially near your wrist? That doesn't make sense to me. Now that I mention it; they should switch the macro and start buttons, now that makes sense.

In closing; this controller works well for me, being that I'm an OG PC gamer. Its helped me adapt well to the console FPS gaming scene and it just might do the same for you. Its not of the highest quality but, it gets the job done for the price. Thank you SplitFish for thinking of us PC gamers when it comes to consoles.
on April 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
I play MAG, now, semi-hardcore (~200 hours). However, I bought this mouse for Uncharted 2 online, and I bought 2: the first was used and the second was new, the third was SE.

================================================
Before I begin my "Over-all play review" is: I want everyone to know that I play BETTER with this mouse than I did a normal controller. I loved it while it worked!!!!! However, these mice still scroll like a normal controller. AKA: I move the mice at X speed = pushing the joystick X amount of it's full directional push, and that's weird to get used to it.
================================================

****So why am I giving this controller a 1 out of 5 stars?...

The first Split Fish Mouse that I owned was bought "Used - Like New" (On Amazon.com) and it started failing (Scrolling left + down all the time all the time) on me after ~80-100 Hours of play. I attributed it to me being "con-ed" into buying it (Used... not new), but I decided it was good enough to buy a new one.

I bought a new one. Now, less than 100 hours of play time, I have found it making another set of random mistakes (Pushing start and R3 all the time, now---Which is "kill self" on MAG). A different set of arbitrary glitches!

Not only that, the second mouse "played" (Felt?) differently. It did not mouse-scroll the same as the first one.

******************EDIT 3-14*****************
So I bought a new one of these and figured I would just rotate warranties (lol). My third one died the fastest and was the SE (Special Edition?) one; I liked the SE feel more, but again, these last <100 hours of play.

***I've also noticed that the cheap plastic cuts away at the wire nearest the mouse, which is a huge issue.

So it gets 1 out of 5 stars for lasting less than a month due to bad design and random glitches.

---------------------
(Here is my history of gaming: I have owned 3 mice for the CPU (for UT99, CS, DOD, DOD:S, CS:S, and TF2) These 3 mice are (2 razor copperhead - totaling at least 250 days /played WoW hours of gaming, and 1 (ONE) Logitech G5 for at least another 1000 hours of gaming. I could even throw My 2000+ (account /stats) games on StarCraft and 200+ days (Yes, days or 4800 hours) of wow gaming onto those 3 mice.) .... So, in conclusion, I believe that I have a firm experience in how gaming mice should behave....) And, Yes, my like 20,000 hours of gaming is ridiculous, but at least I can rate my mice -.-

Look, as a lame kid who plays too much video games: Do not buy this mouse unless you're willing to spend (...)+ a year in getting new ones when your current one, ultimately, fails.
on February 23, 2011
Like pretty much everyone that buys one of these I can't play FPS with a ps3 controller. This controller worked good for me. I'm still only an average player but I'm not at the bottom constantly with this. It had some issues with the original bad company but did start working better on it with a newer firmware. It has worked fine on black ops. I had three real issues with the controller once I got used to it. One is the buttons are not as responsive as a PS3 controller. Issue number two which can be fixed by remapping the buttons is in black ops your knife button is the middle button and the grenade is the right button. Switched around makes more sense since you need to knife quicker than you need to throw a grenade. The last issue I had was that the controller eventually broke. The wires that connect the chuck to the mouse eventually pulled out of the chuck. I ordered the newer shark controller but haven't played with it yet so I will do a review on that to compare.

Other things people should know is you need to keep the firmware updated on these things. Also the movement with the mouse aren't exactly the same as on a PC. It takes some getting used to. One of the things that helps this is that you need to figure out the sensitivity that works for you. On black ops for me it was setting it at 6 in the game and having the fragfx between 4 and 5. You also have to understand that moving the mouse faster doesn't always translate into your moving faster like on a traditional mouse. That is where getting the highest sensitivity helps you out.