BusinessSolutions Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Save on DIY Home Updates Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

PS3 Game recommendations for Nintendo Fan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2009 3:10:27 PM PST
Bostonmom says:
I just put a PS3 on my wishlist since it seems to be the best Bang-for-the-Buck Blu-Ray player. I'd like to put some games on my wish list as well, but I'm not sure which PS3 games I'd like. I'm hoping someone familiar with both the Playstation and Nintendo platforms can make some suggestions. I've had every Nintendo platform since the original, (still have my Gold Edition Zelda cartridge!) but never a Play Station product. I currently play my DS and Wii the most.

I don't like first person shooter games, driving games or super blood and guts games. Any game that has a lot of fast movement that comes straight at you makes me motion sick. I prefer to shoot monsters instead of people, solve puzzles and save the world. Solo games are best since I don't have any kids or other adult friends that want to play video games with me. (You don't stop playing games cause your old, you get old cause you stop playing games!)

The Nintendo games that I really like are the following:
ALL Zelda games
Prince of Persia series
The Rayman series (not the mini-game rabbit ones)
Fire Emblem - Love on all platforms
Beyond Good and Evil
Don't laugh -- Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Castlevania series

So any suggestions for PS3 games based on the above? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 11:26:15 PM PST
C. Phan says:
You look like you are into rpg type of games.

Prince of Persia PS3
Eternal Sonata RPG
Valkyria Chronicles Strategy RPG and probably the best rpg for this generation so far simply because it has an awesome story and with character developments. Probably the best rpg story in the last 10 years.
Uncharted and Uncharted 2 which is probably the best game for 2009.
Ratchet and Clank series.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 11:28:19 PM PST
C. Phan says:
Also to add if you are planning on getting PS3 than I hope you have a large screen HDTV. If not than it's best you want to wait. High Definition Blu Ray is not meant for standard tv sets period.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 10:18:13 AM PST
Bostonmom says:
Thank you!!! I do love the RPGs. I'll take a look at these and add them to my list -- I'm not sure about Prince of Persia PS3 since I've heard it is the same game as Prince of Persia (I have it on game cube). But all of the others I'll add to the list.

I don't have a large screen HD TV yet. The one I've got my eye on is not only still listed a full retail, and backordered from the manufacturer, but Amazon still doesn't have it for sale (only 3rd parties). I've decided on a Panasonic TC 65V10 65" plasma TV. I know I can set the playstation for 480(?) output and use it on my old 32" Sony Trintron or I could take it upstairs and use it on my year old Samsung 26" 780p tv while I'm waiting for the Panasonic (I'd also take a 60" Pioneer Kuro if the price was super right considering it's discontinued). My husband says he's the envy of all the guys at work -- a wife that wants a Playstation and a REALLY big TV.

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate your time in responding to my post.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 12:02:17 PM PST
C. Phan says:
Yes you can set the PS3 to standard tv of 480p but it's kind of a waste of a console and you don't really see any effect of going next generation in terms of high quality picture. You might be use to it since you are a Nintendo fan and Nintendo is still stuck in the standard tv for their gaming audience. Once you go from high definition blu ray you don't want to go back. It's like trying to go back from color tv to black and white tv again.

No the Prince of Persia PS3 is next generation Prince of Persia and in high definition. So if you have it on Gamecube than that's an old generation game. It's a different game but share the same name and concept in terms of character and gameplay.

Eternal Sonata has beautiful colors and artwork on the PS3 and you will probably want to play this when you actually have HDTV. But the story is kind of very boring compare to the good gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles you be hard press to find since not many PS3 rpg gamers will be willing to give this game up for resale at all. There hasn't been an rpg story and characters that is so heart warming and moving that it effects you emotionally. And this is coming from a male gamer here and it's really sad and surprising to see a death scene in a story that actually touch your heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 12:37:22 PM PST
Bostonmom says:
I've put everything you've mentioned on my wishlist and now will add Prince of Persia to it. While I realize that I would not be optimizing the PS3 with my current TVs, I stand a better chance of getting a PS3 for Christmas than to try to justify buying myself one. Even if I can't stand using it on the old TVs we're only talking a couple of months before we make the jump to the big HD set. If I can't stand the old school resolution, I can always play the Wii and DS games while I wait for the new TV. (Now if I could just get that 18 year old Sony Trinitron to die on it's own.)

Thanks again -- have a great Thanksgiving.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 6:17:48 PM PST
Um I know it's rated M and has some blood in it but i can suggest Demon Souls to. That game plays a lot like Zelda but just more mature. Also hook up your PS3 online if you can. You can find a lot of games that you like on PSN. I suggest Trine and the pixel junk games. Also watch a trailer for Flower to. If you think it won't get you sick try that to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 9:58:56 PM PST
Bostonmom says:
Thanks Vinson, I'll check those games out too. I'll be sure to check out the online games as well and check out the Flower trailer. Thanks.

It looks like I'll have plenty of good games to choose from with all the suggestions I've had. Thanks again.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 10:38:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2009 10:38:54 PM PST
C. Phan says:
Please Bostonmom do not check out Demon's Souls. It's not for you. I don't know why that Vinson said it's for you. Base on your gaming like, Demon's Souls is not the kind of game for the casual regular rpg gamer. It is aim solely for the hardcore male rpg gamer. It is nothing like Zelda and has no quality of Zelda other than the fact that it's an action rpg game.

Zelda was made for everyone in mind with puzzle solving element. Demon's Souls is a dungeon crawling survival horror action rpg game. There is no story in Demon's Souls. There are no real characters in Demon's Souls but you playing as the so call hero of the game. There are no story scenes in Demon's Souls. Its pure gameplay with you crawling and exploring in the dark 90% of the time in dungeons, damp castle and in the dark swamp. At time its dark that it makes exploring hard that you have to to adjust your tv set brightness at near 70% just to see where you are walking around. And all the while you be attack by zombies and demons from every corner. And these enemies in the game are very smart and will hit you very hard. You will die a lot in Demon's Souls. Everyone will die alot in Demon's Souls because the game is that hard. Hardcore gamers particular the male gamers such as myself like it because of the challenge but you won't like it unless you like to spend all your game time crawling around in the dark and fighting and killing zombies and demons.

Another frustration is the game doesn't have a save file usage. It uses an auto save function. If you are a Nintendo you are use to save file that you can load up on as back up incase you die and have to retry. In Demon's Souls there's no save file for you to load up on and retry. If you die which will you do a lot. You have to start all over again from beginning of the stage. You will lose all your money and game time that you spent on one death. The game punishes you for any mistake you make because there's no going back and correcting it. If you spend 2-3 hours exploring a stage and getting killed by a regular enemy or by a boss, guess what? You start over again from beginning. Your 2 to 3 hours of game time that you have just spent on have gone to waste because you have to start all over again at the beginning of the stage upon your death. Does that sound like fun for you? Especially when there isn't a story in this game at all.

There's also the multi-player online mode which allow you to play with other online players and that include PvP (player vs player fight mode). By playing the game online, you can summon Blue Phantoms (other players) to help you with your game to make the hard game more easier but...
you will also have to face guys like me (Black Phantom Invaders). I love being a Black Phantom and invading a player that is soloing and finding them and just killing them for sport. It's part of the feature in this game period. I doubt you, (Bostonmon) is going to like it if guys like me invade your game while you just want to be left alone and solo but have to deal with me finding you and backstabbing you to death for sport.
There are too many regular casual gamers picking up Demon's Souls because they heard from word of mouth on how good this game is, thinking this game is okay for them when it's not. Demon's Souls is an excellent niche game meant for a niche market (male audience) and that's it.

It's nothing like Zelda. It's more of an online PvP rpg game.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 5:03:59 AM PST
Bostonmom says:
You're right, Demon's Souls doesn't sound like a game I'd particularly like. I hate spending hours on a game and then losing them when I die. I'm in the middle of another playthrough of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on the DS and it's always frustrating to spend a couple of hours in the arena leveling up characters then get killed and have to start from scratch. It's bad enough for me to end up doing something dumb (or facing someone stronger) and getting killed, but to have some other person sneak into my game and kill me would drive me nuts. I'm also not a fan of dark artwork games, they can be too hard to see what you're doing and you miss too many things -- usually ending up getting killed when you can't see something.

Thanks again for such a detailed post, you've been very, very helpful.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 9:06:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2009 9:12:05 AM PST
ache says:
If you do not have a gaming pc I'd recommend Dragon Age as well. If you do have a gaming PC then I'd get it on that platform as it controls better with a keyboard and mouse. It maybe a slightly different experience if you're use to japanese rpgs because western rpgs allow for much more freedom in where you want to go and when and how you want to do things as well as dialog options. However, the story and characters are excellent. Although I must warn you Dragon Age does have a fair amount of blood.

Disgaea 3 may also be an option for you. Its a strategy rpg similar to Fire Emblem but with a more light-hearted approach to story and dialog. Its also a game you can play for hundreds of hours leveling up your characters and grabbing rare items or you can just play straight through the story and finish it in about 30-40 hours. It's really up to you how much you want to get out of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2009 11:18:23 AM PST
Bostonmom says:
Ache, thanks for the additional suggestions. I just took a look at the videos of Disgae 3 and it does seem to be the same family as the Fire Emblem games but the story seems less serious and the characters have eyes the size of saucers (standard anime). I'll throw it on the list (hubby likes the tactical strategy games too). Dragon Age does seem not only interesting, but beautiful as well. I have a current MacBook, that does work for games, so I will keep that in mind for later. Since I've requested a PS3 for Christmas, I was pretty much looking for suggestions for that particular platform. Thanks again for everybody's help.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 4:02:58 PM PST
C. Phan says:
Disgaea 3 is a very nice JRPG strategy rpg and is very light hearted fun. Not a very strong story but it's main focus is being a comedy rpg that doesn't take itself seriously. It has a strong hardcore rpg following in a cult like form due to the fact that Disgaea 1 was pretty popular from PS2. Seeing Laharl the original hero of the Disgaea serious making cameo appearances in each Disgaea game is funny as hell. I always like to play the Disgaea rpg games for a good laugh because the storyline is so dumb and the characters are so dumb but they come off very friendly and funny.
It's like watching one of the comedy movie that is funny because you know people don't really act like that but you just can't help but laugh at the oddball scenes and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009 1:14:32 AM PST
Bostonmom says:
It does look pretty funny, I put it on the wishlist along with all the other goodies you suggested. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about