on April 5, 2012
I bought the XL edition, having owned both GT3 and GT4 and having never played GT5. The game is as fun and challenging as I expected and there is a huge variety of tracks and cars and events. The game itself is good and the only complaint that I have would be the load times, which are frequent and long enough to really distract from the game itself.

As far as the XL edition specifically is concerned, it probably wasn't the best choice for me. It was nice that all of the game updates were included etc etc and most of the XL content is great but the fact that so many good cars were included right at the beginning of the game actually kind of ruined the game for me. I instantly took the Red Bull prototype car (by far the fastest in the game and worth about 20 million credits) and began destroying races in it. I quickly collected millions of dollars, which allowed me to purchase awesome cars for the races which the redbull car couldn't enter.

I say this kind of ruined the game because Gran Turismo, at it's core, has always derived it's pleasure from pain. The pain of being dominated in races because you have neither enough credits nor enough talent to win this race or that. This experience in frustration always challenged me to rise above and save money to upgrade my car and do license tests to improve my skills etc. until I finally, after pouring so much into the game, had the satisfaction of winning that event. Having really fast cars for free has taken most of that experience away. Races are easy when your car can lap the fastest opponent (despite crashing several times). This reduces the need for driving skill and really lowers the overall satisfaction of the game. So, what I've had to do is start trying to find the worst car that I can for each race or series and try to win with that. It brings some of the satisfaction back, but the experience still lacks the underdog feeling that I always got from starting out on the rock bottom and clawing my way to the top.

Overall, the game is great despite inordinately long load times, but if you are like me and always liked GT because of the work involved in mastering it, the XL edition might not be the best choice.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2012
This is an awesome game, even without the xl edition. When you get the XL edition and you get all the updates, go to the store and enter your redeem code. When you do, it ill only show 3 things. I saw this and thought"this isn't what I bought!" Do not fear! install those three things and load up the game. From the main menu you should be able to go to the far right and hit Downloadable Content. Click on that and all of your promised stuff will be there, including the Red Bull X2011 prototype.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2012
This game was built for a steering wheel! The sense of driving is incredible. A whole lot of subtle details are included. The patches that are in this go a long way to make the game feel more complete than it used to. The graphics have far less glitches. The sense of speed is spot on. They've improved the driving on the different sets of tires. Each one presents its challenges. And the biggest thing that made the game are the seasonal events (you have to have an internet connection).
When the game was released, basically you either won by a mile or you lost very badly. There was little in between. The seasonal events have really improved on this. Rewarding you for using underpowered cars. which is important because there's a whole lot of cars that you wouldn't want to use in gran turismo because they are so low powered.
When they released it, it was obvious they were going for "we'll do all the cars on the planet!!" and included vans and all kind of stuff. Then very quickly budget and timne constraints caught up with them. So you have a strange selection. Luckily the high powered cars you select are all fantastic. This is because every car handles differently on the steering wheel. Some of my favorites are the ferari 458, the maserati gran turismo, mini cooper, the mercedes 300sl, and number 1 is the tvr speed 6. My word.
Every car handles differently and handles beautifully. The game has that magic especially if you play on low spec'd sport tires. Struggling to maintain control of your car you have to carefully maintain throttle and braking taking into account slopes and elevations on a track, slippery sections. Incredible. You steer into a tough curve and let go of the throttle, big mistake, the physics kick in and your car understeers. Your car over steers twisting the steering wheel out of your hands, big mistake, grab onto that sucker and counter steer yanking the car into the right position! You went over a slight hill and the rear wheel lost traction, you felt it in the steering wheel (how?!?)
The premium cars are gorgeous and handle fantastic. The standard cars finally have a (sort of) interior which made me race in them. They also handled quite well. The premium cars are where it's at. Simply gorgeous. Racing in the interior cockpit is really something. I wish I had a 3dtv , because I can already tell how amazing it's going to be.
This game is sheer magic. But, and here's the big deal, be prepared to spend a lot (and I mean a lot!) of time before it becomes fun. It really becomes fun when you have most of the cars and are good enough when you race the cars for fun to try them out, not when you are trying to win the races for money. So I would say at least 1 to two weeks before the game gets fun. Damage doesn't turn on until you get to aroudn level 30 which is sad because it's great and reflects in the steering wheel. It's a hard game and the seasonal events are way it's at. Enjoy it. Get yourself a steering wheel. You will feel everything from bumps to traction loss to the steering wheel reacting realistically. I drove this game and I got better at driving my real car. The traction was that good!
Most games I buy, I barely play past a cursory playthrough. I haven't put this one down. All the other ones, NFS shift, Split second, etc are distant seconds to this gem. The realism makes you almost grimace when you play arcade racers. Only Dirt could hold a candle to the physics, and even then just barely :). If you are willing to invest the time and money this game is exactly what you need.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 30, 2013
Just received the game. Some people were warning that the download code will expire, or has expired March 2013. The code I have has expiration date at March 31 2015.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2012
I have played every Gran Turismo game, and GT 5 XL Edition should've been better than it is. My favorite was GT 3. The menus in GT 5 are just flat out ridiculous to navigate, and it's like one big jumbled mess. The graphics are nice and I can't complain there. The download times took me about 2 hours to complete. Yes, it's a long time, but it wasn't a big deal to me. It also seems like there were more races/courses in the previous GT games than this one. It just feels like there is alot missing with GT 5 and nothing ever makes you say "wow". Everything you do seems to take longer than it should or that it was easier in the past GT games. Plus, I have 20/15 vision and a 50" plasma TV, and the font is really small and hard to read.

There are A spec races and B spec races. The A spec races YOU are actually the one racing the car, while the B spec races, you are actually the CREW CHIEF and are instructing your driver how to race. YOU DON'T RACE B SPEC RACES!!! In the B spec races (which is half the game) you are literally telling your driver to increase their pace, decrease their pace, maintain their pace, pit, pass the car in front, or nothing at all. That's it!!! For half the game you are literally watching your driver race.

With the cars included in the DLC, you can choose the Red Bull Prototype (which is the best car in the game at 1600+HP), start a B spec race, and then.....go do laundry, vacuum, do the dishes, dust, clean your car, eat something, take the dog out, run to the store, do whatever you want to do, and then come back 20/30/40 minutes later to watch your driver finish the race and come in first. Then repeat for the next race. That is honestly how I completed the B spec races. I actually didn't mind the B spec races, because after completing these races, you do win money and cars that you can use for the A spec races (which are the races that you actually drive the cars and not your driver). Plus, I got work done around the house which pleased my wife. So I was killing two birds with one stone! LOL!

Something else I didn't care for, was that in previous GT games, you could sell the cars you win. In GT 5, I would guess maybe 75%-80% of the cars I won I could not sell? It says it will remove it from my garage, but I cannot sell it. I don't know if removing from my garage permanently removes it from my game, but I'd rather keep it than find out I lost it. Plus, because of all of the DLC cars in my garage, I have completed probably 60%-70% of this game, and only purchased about 10 cars. I have about 90-100 cars in my garage, and I do have about 7 million dollars burning a hole in my GT wallet, but there really hasn't been a need to buy better cars. You either get the best cars with the DLC, or wind up winning them.

Overall, for $20, I have certainly been entertained for hours upon hours, and it is worth it. I think this game could have and should have been soo much better based on the previous GT games. But, if you have enjoyed the past GT games, I would have to recommend this one - especially at this price. It's not a bad game, and there are hours of gameplay, but it could've been better. I'm not disappointed with GT 5 XL, and I will buy GT 6. But for $20, why not!?!?!
on February 18, 2013
This game is great! The XL edition is a fantastic add on. Be aware that the XL DLC code expires on 03/31/13. If you are on the fence about this game get it before the DLC expires.

It offers hours of realistic driving fun.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2013
First off as the title says be careful buying this right about now. The copy I got in Feb. had a 3/31/2013 expiration date on the DLC voucher. I don't know if they will be updating them or not. So a heads up if you are looking to buy any time soon.

Even with the XL version there is some DLC content that is not included so it is not a complete edition. Not a big deal to me because there is so much content here anyway it will be a while before I get around to having to buy any more to keep things fresh.

This game is classic GT. I have been playing them all since the first one so if you have played any in the past you know what to expect. What continues to frustrate me is the seemingly endless variations of Japanese cars that all seem so similar I cannot tell what the difference is. It seems like there are 7 years worth of RX-7's, or Skylines, all with the same body style and with 3 or so variants per year, not including the tuner versions. It just seems a tad repetitive but if it were American iron that had this many variations I would probably be happy so I guess it is just preference.

The cool thing is this game has continued to be updated and has newer cars available through the DLC. I also like the additional seasonal challenges that help keep things fresh, it is a neat feature. As always most of my cars come from the used car lot and there are so many to choose from, I've been playing for about a month and a half and my garage has over 300 cars already! The collecting odd ball cars becomes almost an obsession.

Overall I have had more fun with this edition than the past ones and that is saying something because the previous installments were always impressive. A great game at a bargain price, IF you get the DLC included. Otherwise you are shelling out twice as much. I would not be surprised if another version is released son if they do not update the vouchers as I think Europe has the Academy Edition with more current DLC included.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This review is for the game functionality and not for the campaign. Yes, the campaign is great. But I purchased this specifically for the online portion. You wouldn't think that if you buy a relatively recent game that the online portion would no longer work. What is the point of upgrading your car and getting good at it if you cannot take your car out for a challenge among your peers? You can only play the campaign so many times before you want to know where you stand amongst your fellow racers. This game clearly states the ability to race with up to 16 people. If you can't do that, then they have no business selling the product to unsuspecting customers like myself. Given that the XL edition only came out about two and half years, and still on the shelves of many stores, Sony and/or PolyPHONY should not be shutting down its servers for this game. To purchase this game brand new and only to find that a major part of it is no longer functional is a total letdown. In an age where publishers such as Activision keep their servers running for games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops that came out four years ago and at the same time still serving the other Call of Duty games from Black Ops to Ghost this should not be. Sony with its deep pocket should be able to continue serving the Gran Turismo 5 community. They chose to go the in the wrong direction and follow businesses such as EA whose business practice has been to nickel and dime customers and give them less for their money. Producing a game such as Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition and then pulling the plug on the customers is simply, to put it short, bad business practice. As such, I will no longer be purchasing any more Gran Turismo iterations ever again. I am sure that they will do the same to the Gran Turismo 6 customers. Same goes for Resistance which also fell to this bad business practice.
on November 20, 2012
Although the PS3 scene may only be around for about another year or so, the games for PS3 in general are sky dropping in price as the days run by. This addition is perfect and absolutely phenomenal to have possession of while still around! As many other reviews have stated, this is nearly the best racing simulator game on the market and considering that it is for the PS3 only! Highly recommended for those who love cars, love racing, and enjoy saving money (Since this pack comes with extra online DLC and all for the price that is no more than Andrew Jackson *$20 President*). Enough said. Buy it!!!

*Extra pictures uploaded to Amazon. Hopefully they are useful for those who are truly skeptical on how the product looks in reality or simply curios to see what they may receive if planning to order.*
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2013
Bought it in preparation for GT6. Has some of the DLCs so you'll save a bit of money. Save up a little more and get yourself a steering wheel.