5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar for the over 50 crowd.
First off, Guitar Hero and Rock Band are great games. I love it because it is the only video game I can beat my daughters fiance` at. In fact both my daughter and her fiance` will no longer play against me because they lose too badly.

Published on August 7, 2010 by David Wigfield

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, until it died
I was able to play guitar hero for a month or so and then it died. I replaced batteries, and it stayed dead. No usb charger. So I have a game that I can't really play and was really excited about. I think maybe wireless controllers aren't so awesome. I don't know
Published 12 months ago by Jess B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar for the over 50 crowd., August 7, 2010
David Wigfield (Pinole, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)

I got this guitar after my daughter bought me a Playstation 3 for Fathers Day. I had been struggling along with the original guitars from the first Guitar Hero and Rock Band games. Both were worn out and driving me crazy. Went to Amazon and ordered this guitar, PS3 Guitar Hero 5 and the Beatles Rock Band and since I was on vacation at the time had them shipped overnight. Next day, there they were, thanks Amazon.

The guitar looks to be well made. I like the action of the fret buttons, they feel solid to me. The best part is the strum bar. It has a positive click to it that I like and it works wonderfully. I can finally hit those quick notes that I just couldn't do with the older guitars, I can now get thru some songs in Hard and Expert that were impossible with the other guitars. I haven't opened this one up yet to see what the switch is on the strum bar. I am hoping that it is not a mechanical switch like the Rock Band guitar, it used reed relays! of all things. Maybe they used Hall Effect switches, something a little more reliable. It has the slider bar but I have still not gotten used to using it. It will probably help greatly but can't quite master it yet.

The only drawback to the guitar are the two start buttons on either side of the Star Power bar. The way I play, my palm was always hitting the top Start switch and pausing the game. I finally cured this by dropping candle wax onto the switch. This was easier than opening it up and removing the switch and I can always remove the wax if need be. Would be nice to have a way to de-activate one or the other Start switches.

All in all I am happy I bought this. I can play 95% of the songs in hard and about 70% of the songs in expert now without getting mad and doing a Pete Townshend on the controller like I used to do with the old guitars. I know at 54 years of age my fingers are too old to ever actually complete the game in expert but with this guitar I can have more fun trying to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, June 5, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
Solidly built guitar. You can tell some thought was put into the engineering of this product. It's easy to connect to the PS2 or PS3, has very little lag in game (if any), and the neck can even be removed for easy storage.

I'd recommend this to anybody. The guitar has a good feel, not too light and not too heavy. Even better, no strange "guitar disconnected" messages in GH5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement, May 11, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
The guitar controller arrived on time and in one piece. Its far better than the GH:WT guitar that it replaced. Great Price, Excellent Product, 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet guitar!, October 20, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
My son is an "expert" on this game in every way, and he LOVES this guitar, says it's much faster and the switches and buttons work a lot better than the old versions, we have 2 of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., November 17, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
I ordered this because I wanted to get some Guitar Hero action instead of my usual doses of Rockband.

Once I received it I realized that I could have just used my Rockband guitars.

Oh well, the item is great and it was a fantastic price.

5.0 out of 5 stars guitar hero gear, October 18, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
this ia a nice solid peace of gear it works for both GH and Rb2!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only Guitar Hero controller you will ever need, February 4, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
After hardware issues with the Les Paul and World Tour controllers, we are now presented with the Guitar Hero 5 controller. How is it? It seems as RedOctane has learned their mistakes at last and designed a near-perfect Guitar Hero controller.

Let's start out with the new strum bar. It is much better than the World Tour guitar's strum bar. It is made of a rougher type of plastic that helps keeping your grip much easier especially if you have sweaty fingers. The clickers inside have gone back to the classic form which is a good thing. Despite them being similar to the SG and Les Paul models, they sound slightly quieter and smoother without losing any rebound. Fast strumming is a breeze.

The fret buttons are similar to the Les Paul and World Tour guitars. Still clicky as ever.

The whammy bar is the same as the World Tour guitar's, but feels slightly sturdier. It doesn't have a weak rebound compared to the previous unit.

The star power button and 2 start buttons from the World Tour guitar remain positioned together below the strum bar. Although it is slightly harder to hit either of the pause buttons, this can still be an issue. Common sense would say to move them further away from the strum bar. No huge complaints here, however.

The slider bar has improved. It is digital compared to the World Tour's slider which is analog, so it is reads with better precision. It has some ridges to help you determine which part you are touching. However, it's still hard to use as ever. If you never used the World Tour's slider, you probably won't be using this one either.

Whether you are a casual player who plays for fun or a hardcore player who tries to FC those tough shredders, this is THE controller to own. It is perfect all the way up to Expert. In fact, GuitarHeroPhenom from YouTube uses this controller as well. Add this to the cart today and put the FUN back in Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guitar Controller, December 31, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
After reading some reviews of different Rock Band/Guitar Hero controllers, I decided to go with the Guitar Hero 5 guitars for my Rock Band 2 setup. I am not disappointed in the least with my decision. They work very well. I haven't run into any problems with them yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Hero still ROCKS, March 13, 2012
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
In this day and age, the video games come in fast and fade out just as quickly. Guitar hero has been around for many years. Sadly, they have stopped making/selling these guitars in stores. When I decided to go online and take a shot at finding a replacement for my "Rock band" crew, I was amazed that Amazon actually had one. I was equally surprised at the super fast shipping. The product is second to none. This game has kept my friends, my family and myself entertained for many years. Thanks to Amazon for not letting us down. Without buying it here our "Rock Band" would have been short a base guitar!

You ROCK Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Hero Gets A+, January 30, 2012
This review is from: PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar (Accessory)
This was a great buy, it was delivered within 5 days, all parts work and it has been fun for the whole family & friends. Would recomemd to teenagers.

PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar
PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Stand-Alone Guitar by Activision (PlayStation 3, PlayStation2)
$179.68